SETV refused in Laos if in Thailand for more than 90 days?

11 minutes ago, underthesky said:

However, I was questioned while entering at the Nong Khai border on that most recent entry about why I had been in Thailand so long. The officer asked where I going, had I family here, and what I was doing in Thailand. When I said I was here for tourism, the officer said I couldn't be when I had been in the country so long. He then asked for extra details about the address I was going to stay at before stamping me in.

As I was getting my passport, I could hear the farang in the line to my left being asked where he was going to (a somewhat daft question, as this info gets put on the arrival card). I wasn't around to know if he got the same grief as I did though.

Interesting feedback. Historically, entering via the Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai has almost invariably been completely hassle free. This could be a significant change of policy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

For info, I just made an appointment in Vientiane for a SETV and first appointment available was 17 May so at least 10 days in advance booking is required

Thanks for that. It puts me in a bind. My circumstances are I came to Thailand in September on an SETV and have been here on 30 day extensions and 45 day visa exempts since. My current stamp expires on 14 May so I could get that extended by 30 days. The problem is I'm going back to the UK in late June and that would leave a 10 day gap. So it seems I have a few options and would be interested in everyone's thoughts.

1) Book an appointment at Vientiane for 17 May or as soon as possible thereafter and get an SETV. For me this would involve about a week in Laos, which is alright as I've been on holiday there before and quite liked it but is quite a lot of hassle just to fill that 10 day gap. Big negative is that if my application is refused it's difficult to get back into Thailand as I've used my two land visa exempts this year.

2) Extend the current visa exempt and do a quick in-out by air (maybe a couple of days in Hanoi) in mid June coming back visa exempt. I'd get questioned coming back at the airport but I'd also have a return ticket to the UK, proof of UK employment, proof of funds and proof of accommodation in Thailand so I think that should satisfy the immigration officer. Of course I could also get an SETV in Hanoi but don't think that would be necessary.

3) Go to Hanoi 14 May for a quick SETV visa run.

4) Get the current visa exempt extended until mid June and then have a nice holiday in Turkey. This is very tempting and for this reason I don't want to spend too much time, money and hassle on a visa run just for the extra 10 days in Thailand.

5) Any other suggestions?

Edited by edwardandtubs

SETV application on Wed 17 May means pick up on Fri 19 May. I'd be booking the 17th asap as 18th would mean passport pickup Mon 22nd adding 3 days to your Laos trip

If change plan, it says you can cancel appointment if more than 24 hrs before. A no show gets you a 1 month ban from new appointment

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

SETV application on Wed 17 May means pick up on Fri 19 May. I'd be booking the 17th asap as 18th would mean passport pickup Mon 22nd adding 3 days to your Laos trip

If change plan, it says you can cancel appointment if more than 24 hrs before. A no show gets you a 1 month ban from new appointment

Good advice, I'll do that. I'm thinking the SETV visa run to Hanoi on 14 May will be the best option though. Anyone seen any reports of them refusing applications for those with a bit of history?

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

4) Get the current visa exempt extended until mid June and then have a nice holiday in Turkey. This is very tempting and for this reason I don't want to spend too much time, money and hassle on a visa run just for the extra 10 days in Thailand.

5) Any other suggestions?

Flying out, getting an SETV and then flying back seems like a lot more hassle and nearly as much cost as sacking off your return flight to the UK and booking a new one from Hanoi or maybe Kuala Lumpur or Singapore. I think you still get 15 days visa exempt in Vietnam, so in your shoes I think I'd just have a 10 day holiday there.

You're also adding to your visa history if you do the bounce and increasing the risk of problems down the line.

Edited by Badger18

2 hours ago, Badger18 said:

Flying out, getting an SETV and then flying back seems like a lot more hassle and nearly as much cost as sacking off your return flight to the UK and booking a new one from Hanoi or maybe Kuala Lumpur or Singapore. I think you still get 15 days visa exempt in Vietnam, so in your shoes I think I'd just have a 10 day holiday there.

You're also adding to your visa history if you do the bounce and increasing the risk of problems down the line.

I've taken holidays in all those countries before so I'd rather go somewhere new like Turkey and there would be no difference in cost. I came to Thailand on a single ticket so I don't have to worry about cancelling a flight. If I thought a visa run to Hanoi would work though I'd definitely go for that. I've done it before with no problems and it was only two days with a nice bit of sightseeing and noodle eating but that was a few years ago and it seems like a risk now.

• Haha 1

If you have not yet booked your return ticket to the UK, I think your idea of returning via Turkey makes the most sense.

An in/out by air for a visa exemption would be unwise. You might be denied entry.

Hanoi is reported to be an unfriendly consulate these days, including for tourist visa applications (best avoided).

Vientiane should be OK, and that would be my second choice if you decide against ending your time in Thailand early.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BritTim said:

Reports I have seen suggest a tightening of requirements in Savannakhet, but not necessarily in Vientiane. Savannakhet has had a severe problem with huge numbers of visa seekers on particular days as visa run companies can bring people there for visa applications without previous appointments (as in Vientiane). I speculate that Savannakhet might be trying to deter visa run companies. I wonder, actually, if Savannakhet might apply less strict requirements if you are applying for a tourist visa on a Friday. All this is speculation

Unless the policy has changed the appointment system rules out Vientiane unless you book months in advance.

Ah, I see you said that already.

Edited by n00dle

1 minute ago, n00dle said:

Unless the policy has changed the appointment system rules out Vientiane unless you book months in advance.

Latest reports suggest that you can make an appointment with about 10 days prior notice. Obviously, this lead time varies, and can be longer.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheap flights to Penang are available. Would it be a big risk to fly there for 3 days and fly back for a visa exempt? I'd have lots of documents to show such as return flight to the UK, condo lease until the end of June, bank statements showing plenty of funds and confirmation of UK employment. I would expect to be questioned at the airport but is it likely they would deny me the extra week?

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

Cheap flights to Penang are available. Would it be a big risk to fly there for 3 days and fly back for a visa exempt? I'd have lots of documents to show such as return flight to the UK, condo lease until the end of June, bank statements showing plenty of funds and confirmation of UK employment. I would expect to be questioned at the airport but is it likely they would deny me the extra week?

You might well be questioned, but I do not think you would be denied entry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

DO not show condo lease or bank ( Thai) statements
real tourists dont have those
the return ticket to the uk should be within the 30 day ur coming into thailand for

Penang is one of my favorite cites in SE Asia ( Georgetown) 
great food and lots to see

4 hours ago, zzzzz said:

DO not show condo lease or bank ( Thai) statements
real tourists dont have those
the return ticket to the uk should be within the 30 day ur coming into thailand for

Penang is one of my favorite cites in SE Asia ( Georgetown) 
great food and lots to see

I think it's better just to be honest and say the condo has been a base which I store my stuff in and come back to occasionally.

I went to Georgetown once on a holiday that had nothing to do with visa issues and really liked it. This time I think I'll explore the beaches more.

4 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Hopefully the officers at Don Mueang are a bit more relaxed than they were during all the bad stories of a few years ago.

A friend of mine paid 15k baht at shakedown few months ago visa exempt entry Oz to BKK.

He had volunteer visa in pp perhaps was good excuse for io. 

11 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

If you're going to Penang, why not take the train? That way you're crossing via land and therefore should have no problem getting a visa exempt stamp.

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

A friend of mine paid 15k baht at shakedown few months ago visa exempt entry Oz to BKK.

He had volunteer visa in pp perhaps was good excuse for io. 

That's scary but difficult to know what to make of it without more detail on his history. I suppose once you start paying bribes for dodgy visas you're opening yourself up for more financial demands. Fortunately, I've always done everything above board.

44 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

That's scary but difficult to know what to make of it without more detail on his history. I suppose once you start paying bribes for dodgy visas you're opening yourself up for more financial demands. Fortunately, I've always done everything above board.

He had been back in Oz for months so I would have suggested to him visa exempt entry no problem.

The one issue is that he had obtained one of the notorious "volunteer visas" from agent in Pattaya. 

That may have been an excuse for the io to try extortion.

If I had read his account on AseanNow, I would have dismissed it as fake.

The concern is that I know the guy very well and it's true.

Even more surprised that he was able to hand over 15k baht and get a visa exempt stamp.

Occured at BKK airport on a Sunday evening..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 2

I do miss the ole thai double visa days up there in Laos...

Im just glad mae sai is back open as its less gruelling border hop for me from CM

will be doing my 1st ext this week in CM--then my allowed 2 runs to burma with those extended

gives me 6 months total and then back home for 6 months to work....rinse --lather--repeat