Abnormal heat in Thailand - how do you cope?

Dario

its the humidity that kills me here on Koh Phangan 

was 37c at 08.15 this morning , riding the bike was like having a hot hair dryer in your face

But even worse, we have very little water here. The turn it on about 6am and then off again about 9 am, then no water till around 17.30 till around 19.30 9r 20.00 if we are lucky

but because everyone is filling there tanks, filling buckets, having showers, the water is just a dribble most of the time, have to crouch down to get enough water out of the shower

The property is rented and has no tank system so not good , not in this heat

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:

its the humidity that kills me here on Koh Phangan 

was 37c at 08.15 this morning , riding the bike was like having a hot hair dryer in your face

But even worse, we have very little water here. The turn it on about 6am and then off again about 9 am, then no water till around 17.30 till around 19.30 9r 20.00 if we are lucky

but because everyone is filling there tanks, filling buckets, having showers, the water is just a dribble most of the time, have to crouch down to get enough water out of the shower

The property is rented and has no tank system so not good , not in this heat

Plenty of water around. Walk out into the sea and stop complaining. Salt water is healthy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Good idea!

artworks-FpBjrVDVO26nOaCF-khrNrQ-t500x50

Not necessarily like that OMF.

I was keeping with the thread on how to deal with the heat. Frogs sit on the lily pads, but in the shadow of the flower.. Buffaloes go in the ponds. Elephants cover themselves in mad. Dogs find a bit of shade. Those creatures don't have fans or air-con. Some big cats lay in the tree during the heat of the day.

They eat less and do their exercise early and late.

Any carp fisherman knows that the carp lay still just under the surface and only start to feed when the temperature drops.

• Thanks 1

If you have a swimming pool, go it the water and then come out, lay on a damp towel in the shade..and have a fan blowing on you at low to medium speed. 

Also drink cold water. 

If no pool then use a wet towel to soak yourself down and use the fan. 

Also those water sprinkler systems are great on the house roof to really bring the temp down.  Water can cool the roof and then collect on a tank to be pumped back over the roof again.  

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1

How about getting one of those spray bottles and filling it with water?  Then give your self a light spray while sitting in front of a fan. Evaporative cooling should help cool you down a little bit. Just don't overdo it.

I recently saw a swimming pool with two pumps sucking the pool water and spraying it in the air over the pool. I asked what it was for, and was told it was to cool the pool water. Apparently it works very well. The spray cools down and drops back into the pool.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

If you have a swimming pool, go it the water and then come out, lay on a damp towel in the shade..and have a fan blowing on you at low to medium speed. 

Also drink cold water. 

If no pool then use a wet towel to soak yourself down and use the fan. 

Wet the grass and lay on it. If you are in the sun, place a wet cloth over your eyes and forehead. Better to lay in the shade of a tree if possible.

When at home, I abuse my solar system as much as it can stand, AC set to 23 degrees C. On other days, I take my PHEV to a free charging station and sit in my car with the AC on and watch videos/movies on my iPad, something that I would be doing at home anyway.

• Love It 1

8 hours ago, Dario said:

How do others cope with this unbearable heat? Please let us know. Thank you.

Air-conditioning with a floor fan.

40 Celsius 10:00 PM.

Next week will hopefully bring a respite in this especially Hot year in the northeast, and much of Thailand. 

Hottest on record. 

Edited by MrJ2U

59 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Not necessarily like that OMF.

I was keeping with the thread on how to deal with the heat. Frogs sit on the lily pads, but in the shadow of the flower.. Buffaloes go in the ponds. Elephants cover themselves in mad. Dogs find a bit of shade. Those creatures don't have fans or air-con. Some big cats lay in the tree during the heat of the day.

They eat less and do their exercise early and late.

Any carp fisherman knows that the carp lay still just under the surface and only start to feed when the temperature drops.

Rabbits have big ears which work like heat exchangers. The ears get hot and with wind and movement the heat dissipates. Really. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Would just like to say that the assumption that anyone who doesn't have air conditioning is a cheapskate isn't necessarily true. Ecological and climate concerns also factor into the decision.

true enough, personally i hate sleeping with AC so use fans and through flow of air, does the job. some people are more able to cope with adversity than others, i do ok in adversely hot weather and ok in adversely cold weather, being fit, healthy and having a positive outlook helps i reckon.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Went for swimming just now at 6 AM. 2 minutes in the pool and I heard thunder. Out of the pool.

There was a LOUD lightning strike a few weeks ago not more than a few hundred meters from my house. Knocked out the power in my house but not a general local power outage.

Edited by jerrymahoney

9 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Our pool here in Central Pattaya has 35 degrees (measured). Not much help at this heat. 

5 hours ago, it is what it is said:

true enough, personally i hate sleeping with AC so use fans and through flow of air, does the job. some people are more able to cope with adversity than others, i do ok in adversely hot weather and ok in adversely cold weather, being fit, healthy and having a positive outlook helps i reckon.

I think being overweight makes you much hotter, or at least any exertion makes you tire out, sweat and overheat.

I follow a blog about an expat in Bangkok and the guy is very overweight. He walks around and is sweating all over and you can hear him struggling in the heat. It’s because he is overweight. It’s funny in a mean way, but also concerning.

Edited by JimTripper

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Helps if you're healthy. Drink loads of water, electrolyte once a day if need be. I have 3 when exercising. Fans daytime, AC intermittently at night

this...bought box of royal D powder,,,50 pack...case of water...coconut water too fruit..and i ride my bike in this......cotton hoodie outside...lots of showers...fans and windows open  AC on/off at night as well......also have a cooling wicking towel i got at 20 bt shop.....I dont know how folks with no ac can sleep in this.....

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps not there - but here it is h o t

image.png.749ec31b49167001bab62f0a11a208df.png

UdonThani has been the hottest province for the last month. All seems back to normal now. BKK getting what is traditionally theirs; very warm weather.

I think you are just round the corner to the old Bansumran fishery in Babg Kapi. Now filled in and no more. I'll not be going anywhere near that area again.

8 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I think you are just round the corner to the old Bansumran fishery

Actually Chok Chai 4 since 1976 but have spent about 6 months in Udorn (Udon) when US had a Consulate there and it did get a bit warm there too.  But this year has been exceptional in that normally Songkran brings some rain showers to start cooling things off - that did not happen this year.  If forecast right should cool down a bit tomorrow.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Our pool here in Central Pattaya has 35 degrees (measured). Not much help at this heat. 

Mine too. It's not the water in the pool that cools you down. It's just to get your body wet for when you get out and have the fan on you.  The water evaporating off your body is the thing that cools you down.