Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Abnormal heat in Thailand - how do you cope?

Dario

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Helps if you're healthy. Drink loads of water, electrolyte once a day if need be. I have 3 when exercising. Fans daytime, AC intermittently at night

Sounds about right, keep the rooms dark with good air ventilation

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yup ^^^, that's pretty much us too, our main living space isn't enclosed so no A/C just fans, lots of fans. A/C in the bedroom at night to take the edge off, set to 28C the A/C just about makes it!

The "cold" water from the tank is almost too warm for a shower and the pool is like a bath.

Yes Crossy, I second that, 28ºC same here at night. Water tank shower still OK as for now.

• Like 1

I switch the aircons on until I have a humidity of about 50 percent. Then aircons off and only fans (no, not this one...). My windows are very tight so that this humidity goes up very slowly. Then aircons again and...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dario said:

Yes Crossy, I second that, 28ºC same here at night. Water tank shower still OK as for now.

My bedroom is set to 27 and I shower around 4pm. Cool to start with but then gets warmer after a minute or two.

I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet and turned the main room a/c on about 1pm.

Outside was 41.5C and inside 35.5C. 30 minutes later the inside temperature has dropped to 33.4C. 

12 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yup ^^^, that's pretty much us too, our main living space isn't enclosed so no A/C just fans, lots of fans. A/C in the bedroom at night to take the edge off, set to 28C the A/C just about makes it!

The "cold" water from the tank is almost too warm for a shower and the pool is like a bath.

Main In the ceiling AC units compressor is struggling with keeping the inside at 28 right now.  The sun hits the compressor unit from 12:30 pm to around 4 pm, and the trees on that side of the house do not give the unit much shade. Thinking of building a small shelter cover for it like I had to do with my water filtration system. Our pool is in the sun from 9am until 5pm, getting a swim in before 9am is a must unless you feel the need to feel like a cooking shrimp as the pool gets as warm as the jacuzzi tub does.  

I went out and bought those small packages of wet towels I keep in the refrigerator to use when I get over heated as well as using ice packs.  Hate to see what this months PEA bill will be as the AC unnits are running now pretty much from 10 am in the morning until when we wake up at 6 am, 20 hours.....ugh.  We also use fans to help move the air around inside, as well as the ceiling fans.

• Like 2

Air conditioning is the name of the game and if only in BR stay there - fans after about noontime are more like hot hair dryers and worse than nothing IMHO.  We did have a 22 years old refrigerator (replaced compressor 3 years ago) become a victim and feel paying the electric bill, even if higher, is worth it for us mortals.  Indeed it has been a long haul of heat this year.

• Like 1

Exercise early morning. During the day, if no air con in house, sitting outside in shade can be cooler than inside. Have to admit last couple of weeks have not been pleasant sleeping weather. Use two fans at foot of bed; two fans in office (wall mounted and below desk.) Drink water constantly.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, orchis said:

ac/ fan/ dehumidifier in one room and a lot of naps.
only go out in morning and evening 
I take lukewarm showers

May I ask: why a dehumidifier? Does it make a big difference? I only have an air purifier.

Set living room and bedroom a/c's on cool, 16C, full speed fan and swing. Mrs won't allow me to use ceiling fans so make do with pedestals instead. She also won't allow me to do the ultimate cooling trick; Take a shower with clothes on, dry off on bed then repeat. She claims it makes our bed dirty, smelly and mouldy.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dario said:

In normal years no problem, we put on the air conditioners, but now the electricity price is sky high, so during the day, I use fans instead [...]

How do others cope with this unbearable heat? Please let us know. Thank you.

It's always hot in April. Maybe this year it's one or two degrees hotter, but that's it.

So it seems when it is just warm then you use the AC to cool maybe from 30 degrees to 15 degrees. And if it is hot, like 35 or more, then you switch off the AC. Do you think that is smart?

I have the ACs running and it's cool in my apartment. I can see the scorching sun when I look out of the window and feel just fine.

I suggest just accept reality in Thailand. It's hot! And if you want to save electricity then save it when it's only hot and not bloody hot outside. 

2 minutes ago, proton said:

Are you allowed out on your own?????

Not during Covid. She insisted upon driving me to Immigration Office. I can drive but I don't want to. She does everything for me so I don't want to complain too much. 

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

We keep two rooms (occasionally three) at 22 C all day.  Late afternoon the inside temperature will climb to 27 and maybe a little higher.  At night one room 22 all night another 25 but for just a few hours.  Electric rates here are almost exactly what we pay back home in Tennessee.  About 0.16USD/kwh.  The maximum bill here (~12k THB/month) is about 50% more than home, but it's not a fair comparison.  Tennessee has plenty of 37 C days in July and August but cooler nights and good insulation.

I always say I'm never going to stay for April and May again, but here I am.

• Like 1