Abnormal heat in Thailand - how do you cope?

Dario

23 minutes ago, Dario said:

Oh really? I've lived in Thailand for 36 straight years. This year might not be, but for me and probably many others. it feels hotter than ever. The attached picture was taken oday, not one hour ago.

IMG20230507153659ss.jpg

I think all the insulation I have put above the ceiling is paying off. 42 outside on the balcony but 34 in the living room.

Nonetheless....still too hot to flop on sofa in the evening. Just hiding in my man cave at 28. 

Fortunately , the forecast for the rest of this week is lower .....34. Today is the last really hot day for a while.

1 hour ago, Dario said:

May I ask: why a dehumidifier? Does it make a big difference? I only have an air purifier.

It should not be required if you have air conditioner as that will dehumidify if properly sized/used.  Dry heat feels much better that wet (when you are getting soaked just walking about).  You will see it indicated in the "feels like" temperature readings.

2 hours ago, proton said:

I was in Surin once years ago, similarly very hot even at night. Had 2 fans on me and the mrs got a bowl of iced water, soaked a towel in it and kept putting that on me, no A/C. Worked pretty well.

Wow the life of Riley

Good for you 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

It may help to keep in mind that sweating is a major route for the body to rid itself of toxins.  Within reason, it's healthful to sweat.

And from a financial perspective what you've got here is a free sauna.

Edited by Lee65
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dario said:

I've lived in Thailand for 36 straight years. This year might not be, but for me and probably many others. it feels hotter than ever.

I think above you mentioned you are now 77 years old.

So 36 years ago, you were 41 years old.

I understand that with 77 if feels hotter than with 41.

Most of humanity uses thermometers to measure the temperature - it's accurate. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dario said:

Oh really? I've lived in Thailand for 36 straight years. This year might not be, but for me and probably many others. it feels hotter than ever. The attached picture was taken oday, not one hour ago.

IMG20230507153659ss.jpg

Agreed.I'm 20 years here and this is the hottest hot season for me in Pattaya.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Lee65 said:

It may help to keep in mind that sweating is a major route for the body to rid itself of toxins.  Within reason, it's healthful to sweat.

And from a financial perspective what you've got here is a free sauna.

Every day I go out on my bike, most of the time to a fresh market, maybe eating noodle soup, etc.

That gives my body plenty of time to sweat.

But when I am at home, and especially when I work, then I want it cool and comfortable. 

And if I have to work 10 minutes more per day for the higher electricity bill, then that if perfectly acceptable. 

50 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

Agreed.I'm 20 years here and this is the hottest hot season for me in Pattaya.

Almost 30 years ago when I arrived in Thailand, I didn't have any AC all year long. I even had hot sex at night and sometime day, and I could handle that. But somehow, decades later, it's not so easy anymore.

And I don't think the reason is that maybe it's a degree a two hotter outside.

Actually the heat in Surin is super dry so instead of a dehumanizer I actually use a humanizer because my bedsheets are filled with static electric. Before when I tried to clean some cat dirt of and used the pall of my hand, my fingers where glowing a blue light and all my hear stood up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

the heat in Surin is super dry so instead of a dehumanizer I actually use a humanizer because my bedsheets are filled with static electric.

I think you want to use humid instead of human. ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Wear loose clothing. During the day, drink cold water, eat lightly, use fans, take showers. When/if heat overwhelms you, use a cool compress, go into your smallest room with a/c and set it to 30 or 29 and get in front of a fan. Don't let electricity worries undermine your health. The weather should break in a few days.

You forgot the part about not complaining and focusing on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dario said:

Just a couple of years less. It has never been sustained hot like this. 29 as a low and up to 38-40 for right at two months now. Just one break ten days to two weeks ago that lasted maybe 3 days of "cooler" weather. 26-35 was cool after that. Now its back hotter than ever. In a two story house the upstairs is just hot, hot hot.  It may end Tuesday with a cool front from China trying to get in, storms and cooling may be coming.  Hope so.

Edited by marin
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just came in from the farm. Absolutely beautiful. No fans, no air-con nothing. Just nature looking after itself; on spite of the damage humans are forever doing to it.

Sit under a tree with a cold (non-sugar) drink. If you have a lawn; go and roll on it.

Do what the animals do..

• Like 2