May 7, 20233 yr Popular Post Would just like to say that the assumption that anyone who doesn't have air conditioning is a cheapskate isn't necessarily true. Ecological and climate concerns also factor into the decision.
May 7, 20233 yr Popular Post To: whoever left a laugh emoji on my post about environmental consciousness playing a role in the decision not to have air conditioning, I'm rolling in money and out in the countryside where there's lots of greenery around the house and good cross ventilation, most of the time you don't really need air conditioning. But, go ahead, leave another laugh emoji on this post too, if it makes you feel better.
May 7, 20233 yr Popular Post Apparently there are two tropical storms rolling in next week so everywhere should get a good downpour. So flooded will be the next thing to worry about.
May 7, 20233 yr Popular Post 32 minutes ago, Gecko123 said: Would just like to say that the assumption that anyone who doesn't have air conditioning is a cheapskate isn't necessarily true. Ecological and climate concerns also factor into the decision. Air Con is for wimps. Get ya exercise done between 4 and 7 in the morning. Walk in the sun - barefoot if you can - as much as is comfortable. Ditch sugary drinks and drink more water. If you have grass in your garden, lay on it wearing as little clothing as possible. Get with nature. As for taking showers all the time; rubbish!! Just temporary relief.. Wet the grass outside and go roll on it. Air Con gives you the Yips. It causes more sickness than wasp stings. As for fans, don't just blow hot air about. They need to be placed where they move cooler air into warmer air. Think 'venturi'!! Although it is very warm, moaning about it will make it seem warmer. Personally, I embrace the start of this Global Warming period. When the rain starts in July all these hot days will drift into the memory; until next year. And it's too hot for the mozzies. Rejoice! Edited May 7, 20233 yr by owl sees all
May 7, 20233 yr Popular Post 1 hour ago, Dario said: May I ask: why a dehumidifier? Does it make a big difference? I only have an air purifier. In high humidity, when we sweat there is very little cooling effect. OTOH, sweating in low humidities creates a cooling effect as the sweat evaporates from the skin. 35 C in 100% RH can be intolerable, whereas 40 C at 10% humidity can be reasonably comfortable. Hence dehumidifiers are useful.
May 7, 20233 yr Popular Post This month of April was not abnormal at all in terms of heat (mid-30s Celcius). The worst April I have known was in Ubon, 2014, 40+ degrees Celcius. There is no "abnormal heat wave" despite the media propaganda.
May 7, 20233 yr Author Popular Post 16 minutes ago, rattlesnake said: This month of April was not abnormal at all in terms of heat (mid-30s Celcius). The worst April I have known was in Ubon, 2014, 40+ degrees Celcius. There is no "abnormal heat wave" despite the media propaganda. Oh really? I've lived in Thailand for 36 straight years. This year might not be, but for me and probably many others. it feels hotter than ever. The attached picture was taken oday, not one hour ago. Edited May 7, 20233 yr by Dario
May 7, 20233 yr Popular Post Hate to rattle my can, but I never use A/c, just fans. I do take showers maybe 3 or 4x a day. I guess everyone’s different but I don’t like or need a/c. Edited May 7, 20233 yr by JimTripper
May 7, 20233 yr Popular Post My AC is on, probably about 18 hours every day, last bill was 2500Bt, next one may be 3000-3500 but I don't care, I'm comfortable and that's all that matters. An extra 1K or 2K a month isn't going to break me.
May 7, 20233 yr 23 minutes ago, Dario said: Oh really? I've lived in Thailand for 36 straight years. This year might not be, but for me and probably many others. it feels hotter than ever. The attached picture was taken oday, not one hour ago. I think all the insulation I have put above the ceiling is paying off. 42 outside on the balcony but 34 in the living room. Nonetheless....still too hot to flop on sofa in the evening. Just hiding in my man cave at 28. Fortunately , the forecast for the rest of this week is lower .....34. Today is the last really hot day for a while.
May 7, 20233 yr 1 hour ago, Dario said: May I ask: why a dehumidifier? Does it make a big difference? I only have an air purifier. It should not be required if you have air conditioner as that will dehumidify if properly sized/used. Dry heat feels much better that wet (when you are getting soaked just walking about). You will see it indicated in the "feels like" temperature readings.
May 7, 20233 yr Popular Post 30 minutes ago, Dario said: Oh really? I've lived in Thailand for 36 straight years. This year might not be, but for me and probably many others. it feels hotter than ever. The attached picture was taken oday, not one hour ago. Is the holly supposed to make it feel cooler? "I don't want to know why you can't. I want to know how you can!"
May 7, 20233 yr 2 hours ago, proton said: I was in Surin once years ago, similarly very hot even at night. Had 2 fans on me and the mrs got a bowl of iced water, soaked a towel in it and kept putting that on me, no A/C. Worked pretty well. Wow the life of Riley Good for you
May 7, 20233 yr Popular Post 4 hours ago, Dario said: How do others cope with this unbearable heat? Please let us know. Thank you. Wear loose clothing. During the day, drink cold water, eat lightly, use fans, take showers. When/if heat overwhelms you, use a cool compress, go into your smallest room with a/c and set it to 30 or 29 and get in front of a fan. Don't let electricity worries undermine your health. The weather should break in a few days.
May 7, 20233 yr It may help to keep in mind that sweating is a major route for the body to rid itself of toxins. Within reason, it's healthful to sweat. And from a financial perspective what you've got here is a free sauna. Edited May 7, 20233 yr by Lee65
May 7, 20233 yr 1 hour ago, Dario said: I've lived in Thailand for 36 straight years. This year might not be, but for me and probably many others. it feels hotter than ever. I think above you mentioned you are now 77 years old. So 36 years ago, you were 41 years old. I understand that with 77 if feels hotter than with 41. Most of humanity uses thermometers to measure the temperature - it's accurate.
May 7, 20233 yr Popular Post 7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said: Most of humanity uses thermometers to measure the temperature - it's accurate. And here in Bangkok those thermometers have peaked at record levels almost every day for the last week or two. It is hot by any measure.
May 7, 20233 yr 1 hour ago, Dario said: Oh really? I've lived in Thailand for 36 straight years. This year might not be, but for me and probably many others. it feels hotter than ever. The attached picture was taken oday, not one hour ago. Agreed.I'm 20 years here and this is the hottest hot season for me in Pattaya.
May 7, 20233 yr 3 hours ago, Lacessit said: I set the aircon at 27 C. Stay in the room almost naked. Not a pretty sight ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 7, 20233 yr 56 minutes ago, Lee65 said: It may help to keep in mind that sweating is a major route for the body to rid itself of toxins. Within reason, it's healthful to sweat. And from a financial perspective what you've got here is a free sauna. Every day I go out on my bike, most of the time to a fresh market, maybe eating noodle soup, etc. That gives my body plenty of time to sweat. But when I am at home, and especially when I work, then I want it cool and comfortable. And if I have to work 10 minutes more per day for the higher electricity bill, then that if perfectly acceptable.
May 7, 20233 yr 50 minutes ago, jaideedave said: Agreed.I'm 20 years here and this is the hottest hot season for me in Pattaya. Almost 30 years ago when I arrived in Thailand, I didn't have any AC all year long. I even had hot sex at night and sometime day, and I could handle that. But somehow, decades later, it's not so easy anymore. And I don't think the reason is that maybe it's a degree a two hotter outside.
May 7, 20233 yr Actually the heat in Surin is super dry so instead of a dehumanizer I actually use a humanizer because my bedsheets are filled with static electric. Before when I tried to clean some cat dirt of and used the pall of my hand, my fingers where glowing a blue light and all my hear stood up.
May 7, 20233 yr 6 minutes ago, bubblegum said: the heat in Surin is super dry so instead of a dehumanizer I actually use a humanizer because my bedsheets are filled with static electric. I think you want to use humid instead of human. ????
May 7, 20233 yr 1 hour ago, John Drake said: Wear loose clothing. During the day, drink cold water, eat lightly, use fans, take showers. When/if heat overwhelms you, use a cool compress, go into your smallest room with a/c and set it to 30 or 29 and get in front of a fan. Don't let electricity worries undermine your health. The weather should break in a few days. You forgot the part about not complaining and focusing on it.
May 7, 20233 yr 2 hours ago, Dario said: Oh really? I've lived in Thailand for 36 straight years. This year might not be, but for me and probably many others. it feels hotter than ever. The attached picture was taken oday, not one hour ago. Just a couple of years less. It has never been sustained hot like this. 29 as a low and up to 38-40 for right at two months now. Just one break ten days to two weeks ago that lasted maybe 3 days of "cooler" weather. 26-35 was cool after that. Now its back hotter than ever. In a two story house the upstairs is just hot, hot hot. It may end Tuesday with a cool front from China trying to get in, storms and cooling may be coming. Hope so. Edited May 7, 20233 yr by marin
May 7, 20233 yr Just came in from the farm. Absolutely beautiful. No fans, no air-con nothing. Just nature looking after itself; on spite of the damage humans are forever doing to it. Sit under a tree with a cold (non-sugar) drink. If you have a lawn; go and roll on it. Do what the animals do..
May 7, 20233 yr 12 minutes ago, owl sees all said: Do what the animals do. Really? Believe would rather eat McDonalds myself.
May 7, 20233 yr Popular Post I use the a/c. But I find that once the living area is cool enough I can switch it to "dry" mode for most of the day. Likewise with bedroom at night - on cool for an hour or so then dry plus fan rest of the night.
Create an account or sign in to comment