Thaksin Completes Man City Buyout

george

He's leading those gullible Man City supporters a merry old dance, eh? All those grand plans a few months ago and now he's looking to possibly ditch the club like a sweet wrapper. Still, Mr BJ got his freemeal, marvelled at the boss's generosity and felt No. 1 for a match or two. Now it's probably back to obscurity when Frank loses interest in the pale blue sideshow I guess and picks up a new rag to worry. :D

First of all, stop being a pr!ck, trying to wind up Mr Boj.

Your occasional visits to this story show that your knowledge of football is zero :o

Mr Boj, like myself is under no illusions as to the possible intentions of Thaksin. He will drop the club like a hot potato when it suits his needs, and he will make money on the deal.

In the meantime, he has employed a top class manager, given him money to spend in the transfer market, and the team has had a fantastic start to the season, including beating Man United both home and away :D

I am not a fan of Thaksin, but I am a fan of Man City. So kindly explain to me how it will be "back to obscurity" when Thaksin has had enough.

On second thoughts, dont bother, as you are obviously not capable of having an educated discussion

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know much about football (I think that a football is pointy on the ends) but it seems to me that Toxin might be into the club for the long haul....he has already made some attempts at making a connection between the club and Thailand...I know that this hasn't yielded any tangible results from the team side but you know football is really really popular in Thailand and I think Toxin might be plotting a way to strengthen the connection between the club and Thailand...it certainly will make him more popular in some circles and if he ever should happen to get a Thai player into the club or even into any European football sort of gig then he will be even more popular...and think of the spin off cottage industries of shirts and other memorabilia............I think that maybe this sort of thing is a wide open market and Toxin is there at the outset so if it does develop he will have the control.

Maybe this is ridiculous but to me it looks like it may become somthing big in Thailand in the future.

Chownah

I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but Man City was one of the world's richest clubs when Thaksin bought it? Thaksin paid for all of it, including their debts, he bought players, he hired Ericsson, he promised to invest even more. How much does he intend to sell it for? What would be considered a profit after five years of hard work? He didn't buy it cheap in the first place.

Unless he turns the club into a global brand, all their revenues are gate receits and TV rights, and possibly occasionaly Champion's League place.

I don't think even Abramovich can sell Chelsea and make profit, and it's an undeniable success story.

It's a difficult one, that is Plus. As it's not "richest" in it's truest sense, i.e. the worth of the club. The list which comes out every year is purely based on takeover through gate reciepts, merchandising sales and sponsorship etc. for the year prior. It doesn't take into account your outgoings and so isn't really a true reflection as to how "rich" the club is.

In last years list we was in 17th position, so that was for the season reciepts of 2 years ago. We have fallen out of the top 20 for this year, mainly due to our dreadful performances last year. So, when he actually bought us, our takings where down on the preceding year. I think in the end he paid about £81m for the club, although that doesn't include the actual ground but it is rumoured he wishes to buy that also.

This year he has secured contracts with Singha and a Chinese telecom company and the gates reciepts are up again and presumably the merchandise. So we will have to wait until next year to see what this has done to the overall wealth of the club.

I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but Man City was one of the world's richest clubs when Thaksin bought it? Thaksin paid for all of it, including their debts, he bought players, he hired Ericsson, he promised to invest even more. How much does he intend to sell it for? What would be considered a profit after five years of hard work? He didn't buy it cheap in the first place.

Unless he turns the club into a global brand, all their revenues are gate receits and TV rights, and possibly occasionaly Champion's League place.

I don't think even Abramovich can sell Chelsea and make profit, and it's an undeniable success story.

It's a difficult one, that is Plus. As it's not "richest" in it's truest sense, i.e. the worth of the club. The list which comes out every year is purely based on takeover through gate reciepts, merchandising sales and sponsorship etc. for the year prior. It doesn't take into account your outgoings and so isn't really a true reflection as to how "rich" the club is.

In last years list we was in 17th position, so that was for the season reciepts of 2 years ago. We have fallen out of the top 20 for this year, mainly due to our dreadful performances last year. So, when he actually bought us, our takings where down on the preceding year. I think in the end he paid about £81m for the club, although that doesn't include the actual ground but it is rumoured he wishes to buy that also.

This year he has secured contracts with Singha and a Chinese telecom company and the gates reciepts are up again and presumably the merchandise. So we will have to wait until next year to see what this has done to the overall wealth of the club.

He certainly didnt 'overpay' for the club.

especially when you consider that one young player alone (Richards) is worth at least 15-20 million in todays prices :o

I was talking the value if he wanted to sell. With all due respect (the phrase often means "no respect whatsoever", btw), Man City is not Liverpool, it's not quite a club on a level of prestige where rich Arabs would line up to buy it as a playtoy. Americans are also might lose interest in PL in five years time, no matter how hard Scudamore tries, without advertising breaks it will never match American sports as a business investment.

If Man City doesn't break into a group of elite clubs that rake all the money in the game, it will be hard to find a buyer to recoup all Thaksin's promised investments.

If he wanted to make profit, he would have invested in something else. Football is not the hottest business in the world. Think of Google five years ago, or even Thailand's PTT. Football will never generate this kind of returns.

I think it was Thaksin's dream to own a club, build a personal connection with the fans, make people happy and be loved in return. He had no idea his funds in Thailand would be frozen, now it's a bit of a white elephant for him and he might even go broke if he can't get his money back soon, and if he doesn't invest big and Man City doesn't become Champions League regular, it will be all for nothing.

I was talking the value if he wanted to sell. With all due respect (the phrase often means "no respect whatsoever", btw), Man City is not Liverpool, it's not quite a club on a level of prestige where rich Arabs would line up to buy it as a playtoy. Americans are also might lose interest in PL in five years time, no matter how hard Scudamore tries, without advertising breaks it will never match American sports as a business investment.

And that is where he will make his money. Jeezus Plus, haven't you been reading the thread.

City are about the 7th highest supported club (ahead of Chelsea) but not as high as Liverpool, Arsenal or United etc. Thaksin wants to wake a sleeping giant and make it big. I agree, it would be difficult to buy a club who is already at the top and make money but you can do it with a club who has a pretty good following but has been mis-managed for decades.

The money is not in England, Man City might be big there but it doesn't pay. To make real money you need thousands of screaming wet Japanese girls greeting Man City at the airport, you need middle aged women splashing millions to check into Casper's hotel room ordered to be left untouched - bedsheets, glasses, tissues, everything.

You need that kind of fame, in Asia or the US, not Manchester. Real Madrid went for David Beckham and made a fortune.

I don't know much about football (I think that a football is pointy on the ends) but it seems to me that Toxin might be into the club for the long haul....he has already made some attempts at making a connection between the club and Thailand...I know that this hasn't yielded any tangible results from the team side but you know football is really really popular in Thailand and I think Toxin might be plotting a way to strengthen the connection between the club and Thailand...it certainly will make him more popular in some circles and if he ever should happen to get a Thai player into the club or even into any European football sort of gig then he will be even more popular...and think of the spin off cottage industries of shirts and other memorabilia............I think that maybe this sort of thing is a wide open market and Toxin is there at the outset so if it does develop he will have the control.

Maybe this is ridiculous but to me it looks like it may become somthing big in Thailand in the future.

Chownah

He is not into the club for the long haul if he doesn't have to be; for him it was cheap publicity knowing that rural Thailand are crazy about football; and he bought at a decent price.

The Thai-city link is pulblicity only; the only club that has ever had a Thai player AFAIK actually training and playing was Crystal Palace with Leesaw a few years back. The 3 poster boys were loaned almost immediately to Switzerland club as they could not secure visas, and did not play or train their either. Total waste of time.

Thaksin has repeatedly brought football teams out to Thailand during the TRT days via AIS and linked up with Man U and Liverpool and various other teams, knowing that other than Mauy Thai, EPL is about as close to the national sport as you can get.

This is purely a publicity decision, but he is a fairly astute businessman and bought wisely; City are probably more capable than there 2 years prior to him getting there showed; they have a loyal fan base and were just struggling a bit as other clubs got injections of cash and started to pass them. Sorry City fans, but nothing I've seen in the last month suggests they are going to break into the top 4 consistently this year or any other year; as they have upgraded so have their rivals such as Spurs ;-)))))) who unlike City are now a team with silverware.

If...however....they can stay in the next tier down below the big 4 (commonly thought of as Arsenal, United, Chelski and usually Liverpool, although somehow across town Everton have taken their place!) say top 8 go to Europe a bit, start competing in the minor prizes such as Carling Cup etc, then he will definitely be able to sell out at a major premium as not only are there media deals but also merchandising gate sales etc all go up for a winning team. There is plenty of emotion to tap into as so many people other than Londoners and Asians aren't big fans of United, so City is the best thumbs down for that...plus of course they have a great spirit with their genuine core of supporters.

As a footie club owner, so far, he has done pretty well. I wouldn't expect less of him, as a mobile phone operator he did a fairly decent job as well. He isn't stupid and he is a fairly capable business man particularly in opaque markets.

But if the publicity starts to drop and he can make a profit, he will sell and do something else. A true business man is not married to his businesses. On the other hand...there are some owners out there that did not buy footie teams solely for business...they love their teams. THaksin FOR SURE is not one of those; he looked at Liverpool, Fulham and then bought City - this was a publicity/business decision first and foremost.

But for publicity>? 80 million quid to get coverage every week in Thailand? And appear to take the high road?

Priceless.

Edited by steveromagnino

Chownah

He is not into the club for the long haul if he doesn't have to be; for him it was cheap publicity knowing that rural Thailand are crazy about football; and he bought at a decent price.

The Thai-city link is pulblicity only; the only club that has ever had a Thai player AFAIK actually training and playing was Crystal Palace with Leesaw a few years back. The 3 poster boys were loaned almost immediately to Switzerland club as they could not secure visas, and did not play or train their either. Total waste of time.

Thaksin has repeatedly brought football teams out to Thailand during the TRT days via AIS and linked up with Man U and Liverpool and various other teams, knowing that other than Mauy Thai, EPL is about as close to the national sport as you can get.

This is purely a publicity decision, but he is a fairly astute businessman and bought wisely; City are probably more capable than there 2 years prior to him getting there showed; they have a loyal fan base and were just struggling a bit as other clubs got injections of cash and started to pass them. Sorry City fans, but nothing I've seen in the last month suggests they are going to break into the top 4 consistently this year or any other year; as they have upgraded so have their rivals such as Spurs ;-)))))) who unlike City are now a team with silverware.

If...however....they can stay in the next tier down below the big 4 (commonly thought of as Arsenal, United, Chelski and usually Liverpool, although somehow across town Everton have taken their place!) say top 8 go to Europe a bit, start competing in the minor prizes such as Carling Cup etc, then he will definitely be able to sell out at a major premium as not only are there media deals but also merchandising gate sales etc all go up for a winning team. There is plenty of emotion to tap into as so many people other than Londoners and Asians aren't big fans of United, so City is the best thumbs down for that...plus of course they have a great spirit with their genuine core of supporters.

As a footie club owner, so far, he has done pretty well. I wouldn't expect less of him, as a mobile phone operator he did a fairly decent job as well. He isn't stupid and he is a fairly capable business man particularly in opaque markets.

But if the publicity starts to drop and he can make a profit, he will sell and do something else. A true business man is not married to his businesses. On the other hand...there are some owners out there that did not buy footie teams solely for business...they love their teams. THaksin FOR SURE is not one of those; he looked at Liverpool, Fulham and then bought City - this was a publicity/business decision first and foremost.

But for publicity>? 80 million quid to get coverage every week in Thailand? And appear to take the high road?

Priceless.

Pretty much agree with this.

I think top 6 finish this year would be considered a great success.

IF he gives Ericsson money to spend in the summer, then a top 4 place is very possible.

But I am under no illusions at all that Thaksin is involved for footballing reasons. Profit and publicity .......yes.

By the way Steve, re the past Thai footballers Leesaw only played for the youth team at CP, the biggest 'success' would be 'Zico' (cannot remember his real name), he played for Huddersfield Town!! That is until the sh!tty Yorkshire weather and crappy food found him out :o

Thanks for the heads up, mrtoad... I don't typically visit their sports section....

Thai trio given tourist visas

The future of the three Thai Manchester City players who are on loan to a Swiss club has taken another twist as they have only received tourist visas from that country. Thailand internationals Suree Sukha, Kiatprawut Saiwaew and Teerasil Dangda were signed for City in November but have failed to get work permits to play for the English club. They have since been loaned to Grasshopper Zurich. The trio said they only got six-month tourist visas and not work permits from the Swiss Embassy in Bangkok. Teerasil initially misunderstood that he had received a work permit but later found that it was a tourist visa. "I cannot do anything. I have to wait for City people to solve the problem. I hope I get a chance to play in Europe," he said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Sports/27Feb2008_sport26.php

======================================================================

To clarify my earlier inquiries further, I'm fully aware of the UK's long and proud tradition of judiciary management of criminal cases. My British grandmother is no doubt rolling in her grave over these newspapers' grossly inaccurate reporting and over-zealous slanting of the news.

My British grandmother grew up in Australia............................... she doesn't think to highly of the UK's tradition criminal case management or prisoner placement programs, but then and, she got the better end of the stick in the long run! 55555555

Thai trio given tourist visas

The future of the three Thai Manchester City players who are on loan to a Swiss club has taken another twist as they have only received tourist visas from that country. Thailand internationals Suree Sukha, Kiatprawut Saiwaew and Teerasil Dangda were signed for City in November but have failed to get work permits to play for the English club. They have since been loaned to Grasshopper Zurich. The trio said they only got six-month tourist visas and not work permits from the Swiss Embassy in Bangkok. Teerasil initially misunderstood that he had received a work permit but later found that it was a tourist visa. "I cannot do anything. I have to wait for City people to solve the problem. I hope I get a chance to play in Europe," he said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Sports/27Feb2008_sport26.php

======================================================================

My 2 cents.

Just checked the line-up of the 2 Super Ligue clubs Grasshoppers and Zurich.

I did not notice any of the 3 players mentioned and think these 3 guys are rather feeding the birds at the lake of Zurich than playing football for said Swiss teams.

And for doing that a Tourist Visa is sufficient.

He's leading those gullible Man City supporters a merry old dance, eh? All those grand plans a few months ago and now he's looking to possibly ditch the club like a sweet wrapper. Still, Mr BJ got his freemeal, marvelled at the boss's generosity and felt No. 1 for a match or two. Now it's probably back to obscurity when Frank loses interest in the pale blue sideshow I guess and picks up a new rag to worry. :D

Your occasional visits to this story show that your knowledge of football is zero :o

Mr Boj, like myself is under no illusions as to the possible intentions of Thaksin. He will drop the club like a hot potato when it suits his needs, and he will make money on the deal.

In the meantime, he has employed a top class manager, given him money to spend in the transfer market, and the team has had a fantastic start to the season, including beating Man United both home and away :D

I am not a fan of Thaksin, but I am a fan of Man City. So kindly explain to me how it will be "back to obscurity" when Thaksin has had enough.

On second thoughts, dont bother, as you are obviously not capable of having an educated discussion

Are all fans of Man City as offensive and insulting as you and Mr BJ, or are you the exception? Let's hope so.

It will be back to obscurity for your club, because Toxin thrust it into the limelight and for that I guess you owe him. Personally, I think his money and patronage stinks, but some people have low standards I guess and will accept anything as long as it smells like lucre. And as this Forum is supposed to be about Thailand, I can honestly say that in conversations with literally thousands of Thais on the subject of Football, I never met a single Thai fan of Man city before Toxin bought it. In my book that's OBSCURITY!

Are all fans of Man City as offensive and insulting as you and Mr BJ, or are you the exception? Let's hope so.

It will be back to obscurity for your club, because Toxin thrust it into the limelight and for that I guess you owe him. Personally, I think his money and patronage stinks, but some people have low standards I guess and will accept anything as long as it smells like lucre. And as this Forum is supposed to be about Thailand, I can honestly say that in conversations with literally thousands of Thais on the subject of Football, I never met a single Thai fan of Man city before Toxin bought it. In my book that's OBSCURITY!

I think you will find it is you who made this personal. Re-read your posts. And then maybe read some of my historical posts. I think you will find in almost 10,000 posts i haven't insulted anyone personally and am more than capable of having a bit of banter. You are a wind up merchant and are persisting with trying to be personal.

Onezstan has made his stance as a Mod quite clear, maybe you should re-read that post also. I therefore refuse to get into personal insult throwing and will ignore your posts from now on. Have a nice day and i hope the brick wall you will be talking to, makes good company for you.

The money is not in England, Man City might be big there but it doesn't pay. To make real money you need thousands of screaming wet Japanese girls greeting Man City at the airport, you need middle aged women splashing millions to check into Casper's hotel room ordered to be left untouched - bedsheets, glasses, tissues, everything.

You need that kind of fame, in Asia or the US, not Manchester. Real Madrid went for David Beckham and made a fortune.

Holy cammoly, we are agreed Plus :o

Strategy, strategy, strategy. Plus, you keep on refferring to our current situation, Thaksin hasn't bought us for how we are currently. He has a strategy to make us big us in Asia. Look at our web site, it is in English, Thai and Chinese. I don't know any other team with that and indeed we didn't have it when he took over, he has also secured some good deals with Asian sponsors. It is plain to see the direction he is leading the club and although he has the contacts, it will take some time. Like i've said before, there is a 5 year strategy.

Steveromagino,

Good post and a well balanced view :o

I pretty much agree with what you are saying.

What i can add is that Sven was only appointed at the last minute and only had 2 weeks to buy some players that would take us up a level from last season. He has more than achieved this milestone and now it is time to build on that further. Most City fans would have been happy with a top ten position this season but from what we have seen of the squad they are capable of getting higher.

It takes time and city fans have shown that we are patient. We don't expect Thaksin to throw money at City like Abramovich did to Chelsea, so we know it will take longer to get some silverware. But it will come. :D

Steveromagino,

Good post and a well balanced view :o

I pretty much agree with what you are saying.

What i can add is that Sven was only appointed at the last minute and only had 2 weeks to buy some players that would take us up a level from last season. He has more than achieved this milestone and now it is time to build on that further. Most City fans would have been happy with a top ten position this season but from what we have seen of the squad they are capable of getting higher.

It takes time and city fans have shown that we are patient. We don't expect Thaksin to throw money at City like Abramovich did to Chelsea, so we know it will take longer to get some silverware. But it will come. :D

Mr Boj,

I would imagine Thaksins plan is similiar to my own club,Spurs.There we have ENIC running the show and that is under the Tavistock group of companies owned by Joe Lewis,the second richest owner of a PL club after Abramovich.

Apparently their blueprint is to raise the profile of the club by winning trophies,securing european football firstly (thats been achieved three years in a row) and then getting the club into the champions league.Europe is a minimum requirement.Our state of the art training ground application has finally been approved and when built will be one of the finest in europe.Plans for a new ground or a rebulid of our current ground are to be made public in the summer.

When the training ground has been built and plans are in place for a new stadium,together with champions league football (hopefully) then Enic will look to sell,obviously at a premium price,with a very considerable profit.

I think Thaksin will at least want european football (uefa cup) before selling.If he gets that it might be enough although he might stay in longer in the hope of champions league football and thus making the club very attractive for any potential buyers.

Incidentally,Spurs spent £30 million last summer just fine tuning their squad with disasterous consequences,and another £20 million in the january transfer window,which was spent wisely this time.Man City spent a similar amount (actually less) with a great improvement.All the big clubs spend that sort of money and more, really, it is not a huge sum of money.

Credit must go to Sven for his purchases + City had several young players coming thru,like Richards.Remeber though that Sven had a year off to watch players all over europe,he obviously had earmarked certain players,ready for his return to club management,whoever that was with.

Lucky for City that Thaksins first choice,Ranieri turned you down,i think he would have blown the lot!

Good post Seasider :o

I think Thaksins plans are very similar to Tottenham's, with the added strategy of trying to win Asia over (well at least Thailand and China firstly) and sooner rather than later.

Actually,on Tottenham's official site there is a link with the chinese flag which takes you to some website in chinese (mandarin i would presume).

I would think that is due to our sponsors, Mansion, the owner of which is Indonesian , i think. He is obviously looking to tap into the potentially huge asian market for online gambling. Even our change strip of dark blue,which is used sometimes in the PL and for all our away games in Europe has some chinese characters/script on the front,next to the Mansion logo.

Not sure we will be treading on Thaksin's toes, not sure i would fancy trying to win any battles with him out in asia with his connections anyway!

I agree with that and would extend it to most players in team sports. What separates these players are they being used as pawns in a political game with far-reaching consequences for an entire nation and thus is quite different than the typical pawn/king relationship of other players/owners.

Yes, they maybe being used as political pawns but i'm pretty sure they are well aware of that and quite frankly don't give a sh1t.

It would seem Suree is completely oblivious as to his role in this political stunt.... or at least his words indicate that he is.

Again, I don't wish to knock him personally as a player, but he's being totally toyed with as a political pawn and, apparently, he isn't aware of it in the least......

City signing not a Thai political ploy, Suree says

BANGKOK - New Manchester City signing Suree Sukha insists he was recruited by the English team for his ability and not for the political gain of the club's controversial owner.

Suree said City's chairman, ousted former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, had not persuaded manager Sven-Goran Eriksson to make the signing, which took place in Bangkok amid huge fanfare just weeks before a Thai general election. *that's almost unparalleled naivety*

"I believe in myself, I believe I can make it, this doesn't have anything to do with politics," Suree told Reuters, fighting off hoards of excited autograph hunters after Thailand's 1-0 World Cup qualifying win over Yemen on Sunday.

"It's great that Thai players have this chance. I want to do a good job at City.

"Thaksin is the owner, and he says he wants to improve Thai football -- there's nothing wrong with that."

Full back Suree, centre half Kiatprawut Saiwaeo and striker Teerasil Dangda agreed three-year contracts with City during a glitzy signing ceremony that included a video address by the exiled Thaksin, who took a thinly-veiled swipe at the generals who ousted him in a coup last year.

Thai National Team coach Charnwit Polcheewin said the signings appeared to be a ploy to win support for Thaksin's proxies, but insisted the three Thais, particularly Suree, should not be underestimated.

- Reuters

Laughable.

I wonder how many games the three will actually play for City, and why hardly any mention of these signings anywhere other than in the Thai media? I am assuming that if Suree does get his WP, then he will be iluminating the lights of the Pontins league and the other two are heading of to either Switzerland or Australia to play for Perth Glory of Grasshopers as they have about as much chance of getting a WP, as me playing for Man City.

The latest two pawns... an article that does a bit to restore some faith in the British press...:o

City cheerleaders pawns in a game

Smiling and apparently not shackled, two Manchester City players fly into Bangkok to affirm that Thaksin Shinawatra is a thoroughly good egg, as their owner fights off corruption charges and attempts to unfreeze £800 million of his assets.

From the violence of Thailand's recent history, we probably all agree that what the people of that troubled Asian state need now is for Sven Goran Eriksson to have a bigger transfer budget this summer. This, assuredly, is the former prime minister's wish, as he tells the nation he once ruled with an iron rod: "There will be Man City China, Man City Japan, Man City U.S. in the next season."

"Man City will be another Man United."

Before 'Blue Moon' is adopted as the new Thai anthem, though, perhaps we should stop to ask why Kasper Schmeichel and Kelvin Etuhu have been dragged off the training ground to be cheerleaders for an alleged serial human rights abuser. It's certainly an intriguing addition to the young goalkeeper's normal drills: 'Monday — crosses and shots from outside the box, Tuesday — agility and visual awareness. Wednesday — ambassadorial mission to help keep owner out of Thai jail and release funds for manager to go on new spending spree.'

Thaksin's arrest and immediate release on bail following his ground-kissing return to Thailand to face a corruption trial looks to all the world like a pre-planned buddy-deal with the government and judiciary. Unless they've tricked him into ending his 17-month exile, in which case Eriksson might have to shop at Blackpool and Burnley this summer.

But as the 'International Round' goes the way of the Sinclair C5 and Betamax video, Thaksin has again demonstrated the proselytising zeal of Premier League owners. Buying a big club in this country sometimes has the hey-presto side effect of turning a tycoon from a pariah into an internationally renowned sporting figure.

That's not why they do it, of course. Thaksin just fell in love with Liverpool — sorry, Manchester City. Then came the revelation one dark night: riding back into Bangkok on English football's stallion was infinitely more promising than returning home with a tasty telecommunications proposal.

Shame on you if you think Thaksin's purchase of City was in any way intended to assist his political rehabilitation.

Borrowing his template of going back to things, I returned this week to a letter the New York-based Human Rights Watch wrote to Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore when Thaksin rolled into Eastlands.

That was where, of course, the Blair government wanted to build a supercasino to trap the locals in low-paid jobs with anti-social hours while also encouraging them to acquire gambling addictions.

For City's famously loyal supporters, Thaksin's takeover was another spin of life's wheel. It's worth repeating at length the correspondence to Scudamore. Certainly Schmeichel and Etuhu should take a look.

HRW's Asia Director Brad Adams writes: 'In the light of the widespread, serious and systematic human rights abuses perpetrated in Thailand under Mr Thaksin's leadership we are very concerned that you concluded that he is a “fit and proper person” to purchase Manchester City Football Club.

'Our research and that of other credible organisations shows that (his) time in office from 2001 to 2006 was characterised by numerous extrajudicial executions, “disappearances”, illegal abductions, arbitrary detentions, torture and other mistreatment of persons in detention, and attacks on media freedoms.'

The Premier League's response is not recorded. There is no urge here to demonise Schmeichel or Etuhu. They're simply being used to promote Thaksin's flak-deflecting vision of City as 'the team Thais are proud of'.

Their presence at 'coaching clinics' is not the first time footballers have been used as political tools. But in maturity, Peter The Great's son may not look back with any fondness on his eulogy this week: 'He's a very genuine and very nice person,' said Kasper. 'Very generous and passionate about the club.'

Back home, the problem is not naivety so much as megalomania. The doomed 39th game turns out to be the perfect illustration of the ethos that allowed Thaksin to buy Manchester City without a murmur — and then permitted him to turn the son of the Premier League's greatest goalkeeper into a travelling stooge.

Last word, then, to Human Rights Watch, who lectured Scudamore last summer: 'We hope you would agree that the integrity of the Premier League depends in large part on the integrity of its owners. The rules concerning who is “fit and proper” should ensure that serious human rights abusers are not among the league's owners.'

The Premier League didn't want him stopped, of course, they wanted him in, for his money, for his Asian clout.

Keep smiling, Kelvin and Kasper. He'll let you go home soon.

- Daily Mail (UK)

==============================================================

r1212834914.jpg

Kasper Schmeichel and the deposed Thaksin Shinawatra

Edited by sriracha john

Eriksson needs Thaksin millions to freshen up stale City

Sven Goran Eriksson must be praying owner Thaksin Shinawatra stays out of trouble in Thailand so he can access his fortune and fork out for some new players.

City's early-season zest was a distant memory as they struggled to break down relegation-threatened Wigan 0 to 0.

Having remained unbeaten at home until February, City had lost their previous two games at Eastlands against Arsenal and Everton. To make things more difficult, flying winger Martin Petrov was banned after being sent off against Everton on Monday night while Micah Richards will not return for several weeks following a knee operation. On the plus side, City fans saw homegrown Michael Johnson for the first time since December following a stomach strain.

Wigan, managed by former Manchester United favourite Steve Bruce, knew surprise wins for Reading and Birmingham had left them only one point outside the relegation zone. City owner Thaksin was in Thailand trying to retrieve his £800 million fortune so he can give Eriksson transfer money in the summer.

The game proved how much the ex-England coach needs it. City, who spent the first half of the campaign rubbing shoulders with Champions League contenders, are sliding fast down the table. Apart from a Darius Vassell header saved by Chris Kirkland and a shot from Stephen Ireland that dipped over the bar, there was precious little for their fans to cheer.

- Daily News (UK)

Manchester City's Euro quest falters further

Manchester City 0 Wigan Athletic 0

Thaksin Shinawatra's blueprint for the global domination of Manchester City might just have to be mothballed for 12 months. After all, conquering the world will be no simple task if reaching the base camp of Europe proves a journey too far for Sven-Goran Eriksson and his faltering players.

Less than a month ago, after treating many of their supporters to the greatest day of their lives by ending a 34-year wait for a victory against neighbours United at Old Trafford, City are now in danger of reverting to type once again by under-achieving, just as success appears within sight.

Among the Champions League places earlier in the season, Eriksson's team must now quickly rediscover their early season form if they are to achieve stage one of Thaksin's ambitious plans by qualifying for Europe, even it means a summer sojourn in the Intertoto Cup.

This dreary stalemate against Wigan extended City's worrying Premier League run in 2008 to just two victories in seven outings. And, after racking up nine successive victories at home before Christmas, the subsequent six League games at Eastlands have brought four draws and two defeats.

So the wheels are coming off at precisely the wrong time, especially with billionaire owner Thaksin openly talking of his high hopes for City in his native Thailand last week, having returned after 18 months in exile.

Results must improve quickly to secure European qualification, but at least Eriksson is honest enough to accept his share of the blame for the recent slump.

The Telegraph (UK)

SJ, I know you search high and low for the most negative stories you can get hold of, with regards to Thaksin and City. Fortunately the BBC aren't as bias as you are. :o So just to even it out a little

From the BBC:-

Eriksson upbeat on Thaksin future

Sven-Goran Eriksson is optimistic about Manchester City's future after owner Thaksin Shinawatra went back to Thailand to face corruption charges.

The ex-Thai PM returned to his homeland after 17 months in exile.

Thaksin is hoping to clear his name and reclaim £800m of frozen assets, some of which could boost City's coffers.

"When I speak to him, he always tells me to find the right players. And, if we find them, we will do something in the summer," said the City boss.

Eriksson has been impressed by the financial support that Thaksin, 58, has provided since he completed his £81.6m takeover of City in July 2007.

The former England boss explained: "He has already done what he promised for us in the summer and in January.

"I don't think his support for the club has anything to do with him going to Thailand, and I don't know whether this trip is going to make things better or worse for us, but I am happy for him.

"We have not discussed a transfer budget yet but, whenever we meet, he tells me this club is going to get bigger and better."

City spokesman Paul Tyrrell said: "The £800m is his money, not City's, but if he continues to invest in us the way he has, our fans will be hugely grateful."

He is back in Thailand for the first time since being ousted as Prime Minister in a military coup in September 2006.

On his arrival, he was taken straight to court to face charges of abuse of power during his time in office before being granted bail and told not to leave the country without permission ahead of his trial in March.

He has been joined in Thailand by Tyrrell and two City players, goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel and midfielder Kelvin Etuhu, who will be coaching local children and training with the Thai national side.

Schmeichel told BBC Radio 5 Live: "We are out here supporting our chairman.

"We will have to wait and see what happens but football-wise, and as far as City are concerned, he is a very good chairman, very generous and passionate. He wants the club to progress.

"Will he be distracted by all this? I don't think so.

"He is a very genuine guy with very genuine feelings for the club. City lie very close to his heart and the way he has supported the club since he came in has proved that."

SJ, I know you search high and low for the most negative stories you can get hold of, with regards to Thaksin and City. Fortunately the BBC aren't as bias as you are. :D So just to even it out a little

Mr. BJ, perhaps you failed to see who wrote those articles as it wasn't me. It's been the Daily Mail and the Daily Telegraph...among others. As for finding untoward reports regarding Thaksin, it's an extremely simple task actually, as they are delivered to my virtual doorstep with my email inbox being inundated with piles of news releases of this type.

It takes no searching whatsoever, let alone high and low. :o

I don't think comments on Man City performance on the field belong to this thread.

I agree that the reports of the play-by-play and whatnot are not suited for posting here in this thread, which is why the articles, that I've posted anyway, were generously snipped of all that dull stuff and the remaining parts spoke only of the general downward trend the team seems to be suffering through currently as well as reporting on the need for Thaksin's frozen money to be thawed in order to try and turn that trend around. The correlation between the value of the team and its performance in general terms is noteworthy.... and oh yes, the other article describing the latest round of pawn-playing was also a reminder of his ownership style.

Yeah, but football fortunes tend to be unstable. If Man City plays a couple of strong games the media will sing a completly different tune and Thaksin's ownership style will be forgotten, especially by fans. Just like they forgot promised millions in January after beating Man U.

It's a sensitive issue for emotionally invested people.