Thaksin Completes Man City Buyout

george

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not the first time:

"City last gained entry to the UEFA Cup in 2003, also via the Fair Play league, but the team who was then managed by Kevin Keegan went out in the second round on away goals."

From the same link.

Tks Plus for your correction. I was above misguided by some fan comment on BBC's 606 forum.

Never trust your media source; always double-check :D

For any City news, updated by the hour (!) you can find a great source here:

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/...nes=&Page=1

Apparently Sven is asking Thaksin to make up his mind! Thaksin is still playing poker with him and the fans... :o

Wish you chaps a nice sunday! :D

Seams like not only in Thailand, Thaksin's various political and sport decisions draw people on the streets. Fan power:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_city/s/1049130_city_fans_march_at_eastlands

City fans march at Eastlands

Chris Bailey

10/ 5/2008

CITY fans today tuned out in force to urge owner Thaksin Shinawatra not to dispense with the services of manager Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Estimates of the crowd ranged between 1,000 and 5,000 (about 2,000 was probably closwer to the figure) but either way it was a big enough attendance to make clear that a substantial number of Blues fans are still angry about the possible departure of the man who has guided the team into ninth place and almost certainly a spot in next season's Uefa Cup.

The rally, which organisers stressed was not anti-Shinawatra or anti-City but a celebration of Eriksson's work this season, passed off with good humour as the procession snaked its way along Joe Mercer way and then around the entire Eastlands ground.

There was a pause at the Garden of Remembrance before the Official Supporters' Club general secretary Kevin Parker presented an 18,000 strong petition at the main reception.

Fans chanted Eriksson's name and went through a repertoire of pro-City songs before departing around half an hour later.

"We were delighted with the turn out, thrilled," said Parker. "This was not a negative rally but one intended to show the depth of support that there is for Sven and the job he has done.

"Hopefully the rally and the petition will make the owner think again about any possible decision to sack Sven in the summer and make him realise the want Sven to be allowed instead to carry on his good work.

"I would like to thank all those fans who interrupted their weekend to come along."

The rally was organised and backed by the OSC, the Centenary Supporters Association, fanzine King of the Kippax and on-line supporters groups.

-----------

What happens next?

cityorbeachte2.jpg

or Benefica?

My personal guess, is Thaksin, will (want/have to) change his mind in order to regain his lost popularity with the city fans and also what does he want more? Now with the most likely achieved UEFA Cup place (fair-play).

Sven also has a great relationship now with players and city fans, any other move I guess would be not very wise. Also I reckon it would be more wisely to spend new money on players, rather then a more expensive new coach, who would have to restart to build up the team, all over again (and various players warning Thaksin, that they will move is Sven is sacked).

Sven I also believe could grow with the current team (and new players brought in), and that's what a team needs: time to grow together; as I guess you can't just buy instant success in football (as it seams Thaksin believes).

or Thaksin will go his own way? The Frank Sinantra way: "I did it my way!" :o ??

Guess he would love to, but since apparently Scolari is not to sign, and Thaksin need's a sporty decision soon

(if he doesn't he might loose his face even more at city)

On the other hand Thaksin being sporty and understands the way football works? .... another wishful thinking ? :D

I reckon Sven should be given a season more, as he actually already achieved Thaksin's previous goal (his meeting with him in March): be within 1-10 spot. What does this man want more :D ? Change the goal posts again??

Edited by nomoretalksin

City fans march at Eastlands

CITY fans today tuned out in force to urge owner Thaksin Shinawatra not to dispense with the services of manager Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Estimates of the crowd ranged between 1,000 and 5,000. It was a big enough attendance to make clear that a substantial number of Blues fans are still angry about the possible departure of the man who has guided the team into ninth place and almost certainly a spot in next season's Uefa Cup.

"We were delighted with the turn out, thrilled," said Parker. "This was not a negative rally."

"Hopefully the rally and the petition will make the owner think again"

"I would like to thank all those fans who interrupted their weekend to come along."

The last time there were large rallies with many similar requests and statements involved against Thaksin, he plotted for the their future.

I hope for the British protesters sake that they don't face the same sort of confrontation and Thaksin retribution that faced the previous protesters for Sept. 20, 2006.

Edited by Coffee Drinker

As time goes by ManCity fans will accept their fate and start looking for a silver lining. People in love have very short memories.

Soon they'll start questioning Sven achievements, expect huge success with Scholari, look forward to Uefa Cup and so on. For a free bowl of noodles they'll start waing and bowing left and right to any Thai face around.

Manipulating people is one of Thaksin's strengths. He'll probalby split the fans into those who hate him and those who adore him, as he did in Thailand.

And don't forget the bottom line - if not for Thaksin they wouldn't have Sven in the first place.

Sven is not theirs to keep, they sold the club to Thaksin. Their job now is to pay a lot of money for tickets and make friendly noises.

A possible scenario in a post Sven era?

Burr burr, burr burr.

Is that Manchester City Football Club?

Yes it is.

Can you tell me the kick off time on Saturday please?

What time can you get here? Er. Have you got any boots? Can you play left back?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anybody else seen the irony in that the fans were totally unconcerned about selling out to Thaksin with his unsavoury reputation and his dodgy money yet are up in arms because he is exercising his right to choose who works for him?

If you say so Plus, if you say so :o

You obviously have no idea whatsoever, about City fans. Say what you like or think about Thaksin but don't talk about us (the fans) cos you really don't know what you are talking about.

Just watch how Thaksin gets back into your good books again. Perhaps not yours personally, but there will be plenty of pro-Thaksin fans after one or two good news like signing a new manager or winning a couple of Uefa Cup games.

Remember January transfers? One win and all was forgotten.

Fans are very easy to please, they'll continue supporting the club no matter what nonsense is done at the top. Seriously, what are you going to do about sacking Sven? You can't march around with his mugshots forever.

A possible scenario in a post Sven era?

Burr burr, burr burr.

Is that Manchester City Football Club?

Yes it is.

Can you tell me the kick off time on Saturday please?

What time can you get here? Er. Have you got any boots? Can you play left back?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anybody else seen the irony in that the fans were totally unconcerned about selling out to Thaksin with his unsavoury reputation and his dodgy money yet are up in arms because he is exercising his right to choose who works for him?

Irony, what irony?

Last year when the season kicked off and Mr T feted the fans with kao pad and Mai crooning to them on the streets of Manchester, it could have been Klaus Barbie or Heinrich Himmler paying the bill for all some die-hards cared. The sun shone out of his ring-piece for a few, as a check back in this thread would confirm and if he guffed in their face, they would have sworn it smelt like rose petals. It was only the size of his wallet and the fact "he cared" that mattered. When I suggested that they were not that dissimilar from the Isaan rural electorate in their infatuation, they got all shirty and saw red (or pale blue?), and said it's only the result that matters, not who pays the ferryman.

But now the tune has changed and Frank doing it his way, does not seem like the dream they had in mind. They'll still get all defensive mind you, and say, "What do you know, you f...ing numpty, you don't have a clue". Bor ben nyang, guess some people have to learn the hard way. :o

8-1 in the last game - that's quite a way to slam the door.

Was ii a players revolt? Will fans (and Thaksin) blame them for giving up? Will players be the next in line for the purge? Will fans support Thaksin if he decides to punish them?

I won't be surprised if Thaksin makes Sven a scapegoat and brands him a traitor, and some fans will go along with it. Sven, on his end, should have shown some professionalism not by keeping quiet but by ending the season on a high note.

I don't like him, btw, I think he is in only for the money and City needs someone more passionate and principled if they want to achieve greatness in any sense.

His career probably ends here unless he takes big cuts in salary from the likes of Benfica or moves to Middle East. Who'd pay 2.5mil a year after his performance in the last few months - the season couldn't have ended any worse than this.

Man City lost 8-1?! Ouch!!!

It's the funniest thing I've heard all day though, the thought of Toxin getting his knickers in a twist at the loss of face at such a humiliation on top of his rash decision to sack Sven and the player/fan revolt at their meister. Serves 'em right for accepting blood money though. HaHaHaHa! :o

Toxin wanted the City players to give him a bow, and so they did tonight. Well done to the players, it showed what they think of their despot owner. :o

It seems that indeed the players did give Thaksin a bow - but they were facing away from him. Placards inscribed "Kiss this" would have been appropriate.

What's worse is that red card for Dunne might allow Fulham to overtake ManC in the fairplay standings - good bye Uefa Cup.

Looking at fans comments after the game, they all blame players. General idea is that if the players wanted to support Sven they should have won. Fans want blood, and it's not Thaksin's anymore. He can manipulate them into blaming it all on Sven, sort of "I saw it first", and he'll have fans' support for a major clean up.

I've also learned that last time City had two big losses in one season (this 8-1 and 6-0 to Chelsea) was something like fifty years ago. Someone said that City has been through a lot of shit times during these years but they've never let in 8 goals (not until Sven took over).

Last game of the season is a 8-1 loss to Boro. Oh dear Mr. T

In America, we call that a "drubbing"....

drub·bing

–noun

1. a beating; a sound thrashing.

2. a decisive, humiliating defeat, as in a game or contest.

I see now that the Brits do, too....

What's worse is that red card for Dunne might allow Fulham to overtake ManC in the fairplay standings - good bye Uefa Cup.

Looking at fans comments after the game, they all blame players. General idea is that if the players wanted to support Sven they should have won. Fans want blood, and it's not Thaksin's anymore. He can manipulate them into blaming it all on Sven, sort of "I saw it first", and he'll have fans' support for a major clean up.

I've also learned that last time City had two big losses in one season (this 8-1 and 6-0 to Chelsea) was something like fifty years ago. Someone said that City has been through a lot of shit times during these years but they've never let in 8 goals (not until Sven took over).

It's been OVER a hundred years since they were beaten this badly....

On the other side of the coin, it's been fifty-plus years since Middlesborough won this big.

AND you're right about Uefa... it's :o

ufnboro.jpg

Demolition job: Fabio Rochemback curls home a 30-yard free-kick as Boro thrashed Man City 8-1

Man City suffer record defeat at Middlesbrough

Sven-Goran Eriksson wore the haunted look of a man who knew his time was up after watching Manchester City suffer a humiliating defeat at Middlesbrough, a result which is almost certain to hasten his departure from Eastlands.

"There are no excuses. After we went 3-0 down we were somewhere else," the Swede said after ending up on the receiving end of Middlesbrough's biggest victory in the top-tier since September 1950. This was City's biggest Premier League defeat - the club record remains the 9-1 drubbing they received from Everton more than a century ago.

"This result is bad for everyone - our image, our fans, for everyone," Eriksson added. With that he was off for talks about his future with Pairoj Piempongsant, who was representing City's controversial owner, Thaksin Shinawatra, at the Riverside Stadium.

Thaksin was not at his club's concluding game of the season. Had he been there, Eriksson might have been sacked on the spot. Nevertheless the former England manager is unlikely to be in his job for much longer.

Despite the prolonged uncertainty that surrounds his future, Eriksson had made it clear before the game that he would like to remain at the club. Yet if he was looking for his players to help him save his job, Eriksson was sadly mistaken.

From the moment Richard Dunne became the 11th player to be sent off by Phil Dowd this season, City were a shambles. Not only did Dunne's reckless challenge on Tuncay leave City down to 10 men with 75 minutes remaining, it also left a question mark hanging over City's hopes of qualifying for the Uefa Cup through the backdoor of the 'Fair Play' table.

Stewart Downing scored from the resulting penalty and Middlesbrough did not look back. Afonso Alves, the Brazilian forward, doubled the lead before half-time

< further cringing blow-by-blow descriptions snipped out due to a sense of compassion >

Elano hit a consolation for the visitors before Alves completed his hat-trick, and Eriksson's humiliation, at the same time as police wearing riot gear drew their batons at fans as ugly scenes in the visiting end marred the end of game. :D :D :D

The clashes prevented Eriksson from going over to thank supporters who had chanted his name from start to finish.

The Telegraph (UK) (today)

Edited by sriracha john

What a strange way by the players of (not) showing their support for their coach yesterday!? Why did they play so bad, if the knew they could get UEFA and/or support for the to be sacked (propably today monday officialy) coach?

So for UEFA Fair play position, it seams to be Fullham is the team (City is out):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A35855724

(same guy who calculated it wrong in the first place and thought City needed 3 cards to not get the UEFA Cup). Anyhow not official yet!

One thing is sure, Thaksin tactics about leaving the coach position in the limbo for a view weeks, was of course not a good decision for his own club. As Sven said in an interview yesterday: Uncertainty and the following media speculations that always follows, is bad for any team. Thaksin really has a lot to learn about football, even he call's his moves "normal" in his recent interview.

Sven on the other hand, was anyhow their for the money only, I assume (agree with Plus). I asked myself already since he signed up, he as a property owner in Koh Samui (should know more about Thailand and what happened here in the last 6-7years, since Thaksin came up with his plan to shore up alot of cash), surely knowing about Thaksins way of dealing things here, why did he take this post in the first place? But I must give credit to Sven, and I believe his a very good coach, not matter why he took the job. And again, he achieved Thaksin request; be within the first 10.

Why sack him?

back to Thaksin....

With money (no matter how achieved) it seams, you can buy nearly anyone and anything. Except happiness and inner peace, which I'm sure is long time ago gone within Thaksin's mind & soul. He's just now functioning for the power & money greed I guess. Like a machine. Just look at his face and his actions (does a rich happy man need his name on a flag in his stadium etc.?) And trying to sue anyone not agreeing with him, or fabricating news stories against his reputation. Is that man a happy person?

Next moves, in the world of MCTY:

Scolari, Maurinho, Rijkaard, or any other new coach also not checking the owners background?

I as a sportscoach, would definitely not sign up to an owner, who has such a unsporty history! Never ever! :o Would you?

Edited by nomoretalksin

Looks like some English people writting about football owners, are doing their homework:

09 May 2007

http://football.guardian.co.uk/Fiver/0,,22...p;feed=football

=

I DID IT MY WAY

Dr Thaksin's Krazy Guide To Fair Play*: How To Sneak Your Team Into Euro Vase (with a little help from Human Rights Watch = http://hrw.org/english/docs/2004/07/07/thaila9014.htm )

1) Become prime minister of Thailand.

2) Declare war on the horrifying drug trade by issuing the following horrifying statement: "There is nothing under the sun which the Thai police cannot do."

3) Sigh in contentment as 87 people are killed in the first week of the war on drugs. Practise Frank Sinatra impression.

4) Open the papers to discover that the latest victim of the war on drugs is a nine-year-old shot when police fired at a car carrying him and his mother (police claim a third party shot at the victim's car). Do not reflect on how fair it is for a nine-year-old to get a bullet in the skull. Instead, practise Frank Sinatra impression.

5) Listen as a UN official expresses "deep concern at reports of more than 100 deaths in Thailand in connection with a crackdown on the drug trade".

6) Fire off memo reading: "Do not worry about this. The UN is not my father."

7) Declare "victory" on war on drugs. Ignore the 2,275 people that have been killed in said war. Ruminate on fact that since the start of the campaign homicide rate in Thailand has doubled. Practise Frank Sinatra impression.

8) Read US state department report that Thailand's human rights record has "worsened with regard to extrajudicial killings and arbitrary arrests". Practise Frank Sinatra impression.

9) Dismiss the United States an "annoying friend". Pesky Americans!

10) Decide to restore battered international standing by identifying sleeping giant.

11) Check sleeping giant isn't a drug dealer.

12) Pass Premier League's fit and proper person's test with flying colours despite Amnesty International saying that "Thaksin did preside over some very serious human rights violations".

13) Watch as Human Rights FC do the double over Manchester United. Try to ignore ghost of nine-year-old child whispering in your ear by humming upbeat version of Blue Moon.

14) Make moves to sack perfectly good manager despite the fact that his players, the fans, Bob Carolgees and 99.789% of the population of the universe thinks he is doing a good job.

15) Smile in satisfaction as it looks like your team will be given a place in next season's Euro Vase for, get this, FAIR PLAY!!!!!!!!!

16) Relax in warm bath of chutzpah and irony whistling My Way.

*Fair Play may involve extra-judicial killings and knee-jerk sackings of competent, if unspectacular, managers.

UNQUOTE

:o Frank Sinantra's next move?

Quote from BBC Sport:

Manchester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson:

"It is difficult to take whenever you lose. But, when you lose like this, it is awful.

"To concede a penalty and have Richard Dunne sent off was a bad start but we were in the game until it was 3-0.

"After that, mentally we had nothing left. We were not even on the pitch - the team had totally gone and it was embarrassing for everyone."

Last game of the season is a 8-1 loss to Boro. Oh dear Mr. T

In America, we call that a "drubbing"....

drub·bing

–noun

1. a beating; a sound thrashing.

2. a decisive, humiliating defeat, as in a game or contest.

I see now that the Brits do, too....

It's been OVER a hundred years since they were beaten this badly....

On the other side of the coin, it's been fifty-plus years since Middlesborough won this big.

AND you're right about Uefa... it's :o

ufnboro.jpg

Demolition job: Fabio Rochemback curls home a 30-yard free-kick as Boro thrashed Man City 8-1

Man City suffer record defeat at Middlesbrough

Sven-Goran Eriksson wore the haunted look of a man who knew his time was up after watching Manchester City suffer a humiliating defeat at Middlesbrough, a result which is almost certain to hasten his departure from Eastlands.

"There are no excuses. After we went 3-0 down we were somewhere else," the Swede said after ending up on the receiving end of Middlesbrough's biggest victory in the top-tier since September 1950. This was City's biggest Premier League defeat - the club record remains the 9-1 drubbing they received from Everton more than a century ago.

"This result is bad for everyone - our image, our fans, for everyone," Eriksson added. With that he was off for talks about his future with Pairoj Piempongsant, who was representing City's controversial owner, Thaksin Shinawatra, at the Riverside Stadium.

Thaksin was not at his club's concluding game of the season. Had he been there, Eriksson might have been sacked on the spot. Nevertheless the former England manager is unlikely to be in his job for much longer.

Despite the prolonged uncertainty that surrounds his future, Eriksson had made it clear before the game that he would like to remain at the club. Yet if he was looking for his players to help him save his job, Eriksson was sadly mistaken.

From the moment Richard Dunne became the 11th player to be sent off by Phil Dowd this season, City were a shambles. Not only did Dunne's reckless challenge on Tuncay leave City down to 10 men with 75 minutes remaining, it also left a question mark hanging over City's hopes of qualifying for the Uefa Cup through the backdoor of the 'Fair Play' table.

Stewart Downing scored from the resulting penalty and Middlesbrough did not look back. Afonso Alves, the Brazilian forward, doubled the lead before half-time

< further cringing blow-by-blow descriptions snipped out due to a sense of compassion >

Elano hit a consolation for the visitors before Alves completed his hat-trick, and Eriksson's humiliation, at the same time as police wearing riot gear drew their batons at fans as ugly scenes in the visiting end marred the end of game. :D :D :D

The clashes prevented Eriksson from going over to thank supporters who had chanted his name from start to finish.

The Telegraph (UK) (today)

Hey, but I thought Man City fans don't do hooliganism?!!! And after all that stinging criticism of anyone who dared comment on the how the fans were being taken for a ride and used by Herr Chairman. :D

Seems like someone's credibility is in tatters, and I don't mean Sven or Toxin. Look who's the Humpty Dumpty now! :D

Hey, but I thought Man City fans don't do hooliganism?!!! And after all that stinging criticism of anyone who dared comment on the how the fans were being taken for a ride and used by Herr Chairman. :o

Seems like someone's credibility is in tatters, and I don't mean Sven or Toxin. Look who's the Humpty Dumpty now! :D

Feel a bit sorry for the long suffering City fans. Ah well, now at least when Sven goes the fans can feel like they got rid of the guy that brought them that thrashing.

Next year is probably giong to get worse, not better.

What will Thaksin say or do now. Tough choice.

He is back to square one, fans are openly hostile, and last year investment is practically down the drain leaving him with more bills. Politics back home are not any easier either, looks like another election is on the cards and he is expected to bankroll it again (last year political investment down the drain, too). Man must be under a lot of stress.

He is back to square one, fans are openly hostile, and last year investment is practically down the drain leaving him with more bills. Politics back home are not any easier either, looks like another election is on the cards and he is expected to bankroll it again (last year political investment down the drain, too). Man must be under a lot of stress.

Sell all the players, sell the ground, put the proceeds in a Swiss bank account, declare bankruptcy and close the club down.

March off into the sunset, salivating on how he screwed those stupid farangs yet again :o

Sell all the players, sell the ground, put the proceeds in a Swiss bank account, declare bankruptcy and close the club down.

March off into the sunset, salivating on how he screwed those stupid farangs yet again :D

Wouldn't put it past him either. :o

Sven arrives HERE today, but is Thaksin back from China yet???

Eriksson flies to Thailand to see Man City owner unaware if he will keep job

MANCHESTER, England: Sven-Goran Eriksson will take Manchester City on a postseason tour of Thailand on Wednesday not knowing whether he will come back with his job.

The former England coach had already been in trouble with Thai owner Thaksin Shinawatra before Sunday's crushing 8-1 loss at Middlesbrough because City had slipped to ninth place and out of a top-five finish for a place in next season's UEFA Cup.

"Sven has not heard any more," City assistant coach Tord Grip told the BBC on Monday. "He will go to Thailand on Tuesday and meet Thaksin there."

Eriksson could be gone after completing only one year of a three-year contract when he meets Thaksin in Bangkok. But he could still take charge of games against a Thai League All-Star team on Saturday and a match in Hong Kong on May 22.

One thing in Eriksson's favor is that the club still has a chance to play in European soccer's second-tier competition through the Fair Play leagues operated by UEFA and the Premier League.

UEFA awarded England a fourth UEFA Cup spot because it finished at the top of its Fair Play league and City is in the best position in the Premier League rankings apart from the clubs that have already qualified for European competition.

Of the teams above City in the rankings, Tottenham and Everton are already in the UEFA Cup and Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal are in the Champions League.

The rankings are decided on team discipline on the field, positive play, respect toward referees and opponents and the behavior of club officials, and the Premier League said Monday that, with the statistics from the final two rounds of games still to be calculated, City is in the best position.

On Sunday, City had defender Richard Dunne sent off after only 15 minutes for a professional foul during its embarrassing loss at Middlesbrough, however, and some of the visiting fans clashed with police at the end of the game.

:o

- Associated Press / May 12, 2008