Leave Condo empty for 3 months - ideas?

Hi fellas, 

I'm going abroad for 3 months and I've only earlier left my condo for a couple of days, or a week. Any ideas of "Do's and Don'ts"

A couple of small issues on my mind: 

- Monthly Electric Bill (PEA) - how long can it be unpaid until it's problematic? Any way I can pay it online? I usually photo the bill with TrueMoney, super convenient. 

- Should I cover the sink (kitchen and bathroom) as not to have smell "coming up"? It doesn't smell now, but I don't know the result after 3 months of no activity/flow. 

- Should I flip the main power switch? Probably a Yes here, but I just wanted to know if you argue otherwise. 

Any other ideas? Bless

8 minutes ago, Henryford said:

There will still be a small electric charge. Can you prepay a few hundred baht at the office to cover 3 months charges.

Thanks Henry. As with "the office", do you mean the Juristic Office for my condo or PEA? 

Turn off the electric and water, also leave the fridge door open and I usually leave some windows open to let some fresh air blow through, you may find when you come back the place is full of mildew.

I knew a guy here in Phuket left his condo all locked up for 6 months he had to get the contract cleaners because of the mildew, 

Personally we have a cleaner and I would get her to go at least once a month to clean and air the place out,

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It's also useful when renting a place to a tenant, you can see if he paid them.

My wife checks the app to see if the bills have been paid, easy these days 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

My wife checks the app to see if the bills have been paid, easy these days 

I assume you mean the PEA app? Noticed that exists too. Nice but still better with the mobile banking app, no additional apps needed and also possible for people who rent, the PEA app would likely only work for the actual property owner.

Where I live now they still just come once a month reading the meter and calculating by hand (old thai owners) and then tell me the total, it is never much, together with the rent.

Many apartments I rented, where you get the bill from reception too, I just add them on LINE or make a upfront deposit for coming bills.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

9 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I assume you mean the PEA app? Noticed that exists too. Nice but still better with the mobile banking app, no additional apps needed and also possible for people who rent, the PEA app would likely only work for the actual property owner.

Where I live now they still just come once a month reading the meter and calculating by hand (old thai owners) and then tell me the total, it is never much, together with the rent.

Many apartments I rented, where you get the bill from reception too, I just add them on LINE or make a upfront deposit for coming bills.

Yes the PEA app we have to check a few properties

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

On the electric (and water) bill is a contract number, you can use that number with mobile banking to pay outstanding balances.

I always do this when I am gone longer, around the time the bill comes I use Kbank and look on the contract number, the balance shows up, even if it is 2 months together already, no issue to pay it via that way.

I think many people don't know it can be easy like this too. You still receive paper bills. It's also useful when renting a place to a tenant, you can see if he paid them.

Hi ChaiyaTH,

Could you elaborate on this, please? I have been paying my electric bill by scanning the QR code but it doesn't work with the PWA water bill. And wouldn't work if I was going away and did not have the bill in hand. I am in Chiang Mai if that matters at all.. How might I go about paying these using your method? I have SCB and Bangkok Bank accounts. Thanks for your help! Bam

2 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Hi ChaiyaTH,

Could you elaborate on this, please? I have been paying my electric bill by scanning the QR code but it doesn't work with the PWA water bill. And wouldn't work if I was going away and did not have the bill in hand. I am in Chiang Mai if that matters at all.. How might I go about paying these using your method? I have SCB and Bangkok Bank accounts. Thanks for your help! Bam

I use Kbank app personally but likely when you open your SCB or Bangkok app, you have options to 'pay bills' to then see also the PEA option in that list. Here you can in normally enter the contract number to then see the amount due, and pay if desired. 

The scan option essentially does the same thing but then automatically, this is the manual way to do it. Not 100% sure if both SCB and Bangkok offer the same, but pretty sure 1 of 2 do.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

A great tip for all you guys, there is a plant here in Thailand called Pandan Leaf we use it in our properties you can literally put it anywhere in the wardrobes, drawers even in the fridge, it will deodourize the place granted it wont last 3 months but it's amazing, 

Maybe you have tasted it because you can make, Tea I have some tea bags Pandan and Lemongrass,

Normally my wife chops it up boils it add a bit of sugar and some salt let it cool down and put it in the fridge, some people use it their cooking, 

She buys it from Makro and it's cheap for a big bunch, 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Hi ChaiyaTH,

The PWA in Chiang Mai have a line account for bill payment.

กปภ.ใสาขาเชียงใหม

All you need is your account number

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Water off, electricity off. Fridge open. Electricity PEA paid by Direct Debit from Bangkok Bank. Water debt is paid on return.  I put one-way flap valves in our drains to stop drain smells.  Never had mildew even after 6+ months away.

Thanks for all the input. 

On the topic of mold/mildew. Perhaps the the question that worries me most (and the owner is a stand-up guy, so I want to keep his place in good shape). Is there any product(s) I can buy for a reasonable buck to tackle this problem? Or am I overthinking it? 

Edited by aldriglikvid

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I use Kbank app personally but likely when you open your SCB or Bangkok app, you have options to 'pay bills' to then see also the PEA option in that list. Here you can in normally enter the contract number to then see the amount due, and pay if desired. 

The scan option essentially does the same thing but then automatically, this is the manual way to do it. Not 100% sure if both SCB and Bangkok offer the same, but pretty sure 1 of 2 do.

Thanks! The SCB app has the icon for paying but goes directly to scan mode...no way to input anything. Bangkok Bank app isn't working correctly yet. New account for me.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

The PWA in Chiang Mai have a line account for bill payment.

กปภ.ใสาขาเชียงใหม

All you need is your account number

I've ventured into that big, green, unknown but it's all Greek to me. I'll give it another go, though. How bad could I screw it up?

Edited by bamboozled

12 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

On the topic of mold/mildew. Perhaps the the question that worries me most (and the owner is a stand-up guy, so I want to keep his place in good shape). Is there any product(s) I can buy for a reasonable buck to tackle this problem? Or am I overthinking it? 

Maybe where you are you dont suffer with mildew, I am here in the south of Phuket and now it's started raining, 

Do you know whoever holds your spare keys well enough?

Me and a mate hold each others and if one of us is away the other pops in now and then to check everything is OK.  Also to pick up and pay bill for condo fees/water.

Water is switched off at the main valve.  Electricity is left on as 3 months in the freezer is no problem (also for some things in the fridge) and bill paid by direct debit.

When coming back one of us will fill the others fridge with basics for the return if required.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

I think you are worrying too much. Three months is nothing. My wife owns several condos and houses. Frequently unoccupied for 3+ months.  One condo was locked up for about two years during Covid and no problems at all when we opened it up.  I was amazed how little deterioration. Gave it a clean and good as new. 

Edited by HauptmannUK

1 minute ago, HauptmannUK said:

I think you are worrying too much. Three months is nothing. My wife owns several condos and houses. Frequently unoccupied for 3+ months.  One condo was locked up for about two years during Covid and no problems at all when we opened it up.  I was amazed how little deterioration. Gave it a clean and good as new. 

Thanks, I really appreciate your feedback! 

What I'm thinking right now is that I'll order a cleaning service after 1.5-2 months = som air circulation and getting the condo neat and clean before I arrive. 

29 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Really it depends where you live.

I used to live in Phuket in a house about 50 metres from the beach so very high humidity, something which easily promotes mould. 

The only way I could guarantee stopping it was by leaving a ceiling fan on and by leaving room doors ajar and windows open a little.

But you have to be careful that rain will not get thru windows.

I of course turned the water off.

De-humidifiers do work but need to be plumbed for drainage for long usage and can use a lot more power than just a fan.

I did live in an apartment in Phuket Town away from  the coast and left it for a month with all windows locked.

When I returned it was full of mould particularly the mattress.

Maybe what didn't help is that after I turned the power off, cleaned out the fridge and left the door ajar there may nave been some condensate in the drip tank at the back of it.

I think activated charcoal may absorb humidity but when saturated it needs to be dried  in an oven.

Pandan etc are only deodorants that mask the smell of the mould.