Heartwarming video of Thai father selling gold necklace for child’s milk goes viral

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

He initially believed that the necklace weighed 0.1 grams, but after testing it, the weight was found to be only 0.08 grams. The shop owner offered to purchase the necklace for 100 baht.

The customer was surprised at the low price, having paid approximately 1,000 baht for the gold necklace online.

That's business my boy... you gotta pick a pocket or two.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

You don't know when he bought it, when life was more benevolent to him, before his child was born perhaps ?  If one is going to err then it is better to err in the belief in good, there are enough dark skies and gloom in life. He appears to be young, a young impoverished parent doing his best to do the right thing, there are enough Thai fathers who abscond when the girl is pregnant, I prefer to honour him as a decent father.

You're right.  I don't know.  But have seen plenty of scams in Thailand not to take a side based on appearances.  This one seems plausible, but I'm skeptical.  Wouldn't be the first time someone tried to pawn costume jewelry as gold.  The best cons have a good backstory the pulls at the heartstrings.

5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

You don't know when he bought it, when life was more benevolent to him

Yup. That's why many refer to gold jewelry as "the Thai savings account". People buy gold when they have extra money to spend. It's like putting money in the bank. GIven what banks are prone to do, Thais tend to trust gold more than the banks.

They hold onto the gold as long as times are good, and get to show off their prosperity. During Songkran I saw a lot of gold proudly come out. When times are bad or an expense happens to come up, such as a new baby, then they part with the gold. In most cases they take a slight loss, but depending on how the gold market's been and the timing, they might break even or come out slightly ahead.

In this case the poor dad got taken, thinking he bought 1000 baht worth of gold, when in fact most of the necklace was simply gold colored.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

he needs to get a job

Article does not say his employment status. There is such a thing called 'not making a living wage,' especially in a country with a very low minimum daily wage. But also present in wealthy economies such as the US.

14 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

You're right.  I don't know.  But have seen plenty of scams in Thailand not to take a side based on appearances.  This one seems plausible, but I'm skeptical.  Wouldn't be the first time someone tried to pawn costume jewelry as gold.  The best cons have a good backstory the pulls at the heartstrings.

And you really believe a gold trader wouldn't the difference between gold and costume jewellery? 

17 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Okay.

Guy has 1000 baht to buy a cheap gold-colored necklace, instead of buying milk for his kid.

Tries to sell cheap gold-colored necklace at a gold shop......to buy milk for his kid.

Gold shop employee wasn't completely fooled.

Call me skeptical, but, you know, the thing.

OK, we can call you skeptical if that's OK with you. 

And please point out where in the article it says it was gold covered?