Why some people are spreading false rumours about the Texas gunman

onthedarkside

image.png.235ad2d956c0c1cb6e448bb8db5a2af4.png

Social media posts by the man who killed eight people at a mall in Texas show he was deep into neo-Nazi and far-right imagery and propaganda. But some activists have tried to cast doubt on the authenticity of the posts.

They're claiming - without evidence - that the material is somehow part of a "psychological operation" or that the social media account is "fake".

It may seem fringe, but the doubts have spread to millions via Elon Musk and others with popular Twitter accounts.

READ MORE

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65539698

image.png.42b24a2222bfb94de3ac924f9a942790.png

• Haha 1

Odnoklassniki seems to have changed over the years, but basically it was an early day Russian version of Friends Reunited, and was much more sedate than the edgier vkontakte. Maybe the limited moderation is what appealed.

From the linked article in the OP...

They've claimed, without evidence, that it's part of a "psychological operation" or "false flag" by the government to smear those on the right or far-right.

Can someone explain the rationale here? Is it just to obfuscate the truth? Or is to deflect criticism of gun control, or the right wing neo-Nazi movement? Or is it just an attempt to confuse people and have them question everything? Including these spurious "claims"?

I mean people were killed and injured, with guns, right? Or is that open for debate too?

It's certainly confusing. So far, it seems he was a white supremacist (of Mexican descent!!) who appears as 2 completely different men with different tattoos in media photos.

There certainly seems to be some issues with accuracy of reporting.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Right-wing media responded to news that the Allen, Texas, shooter is a neo-Nazi by calling it a “psyop”

https://www.mediamatters.org/tim-pool/right-wing-media-responded-news-allen-texas-shooter-neo-nazi-calling-it-psyop

Yet the police themselves confirmed he had Nazi tattoos and patches on him.

https://starlocalmedia.com/allenamerican/authorities-still-searching-for-gunman-s-motive-in-allen-outlet-mall-shooting/article_ef2016e0-ee98-11ed-bcb3-9f4e6aaaa61c.html

He also purchased all his guns legally.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It's certainly confusing. So far, it seems he was a white supremacist (of Mexican descent!!) who appears as 2 completely different men with different tattoos in media photos.

There certainly seems to be some issues with accuracy of reporting.

That’s why the criminal Justice system uses investigative processes and why courts see evidence and sworn testimony.

As you yourself demonstrate, it’s too easy to confuse people with news and social media reports.

Evidence and sworn testimony is the way to go.

42 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It's certainly confusing.

Can we at least agree that people were killed and injured, by a gunman who was killed? That Korean family and their loss is staggering.

I think we need to understand the motivation of the shooter(s) because, maybe, it helps us process these frequent violent crimes. And once the motivation is understood we can file these incidents away and forget about them, because we are powerless to prevent them in the future.

There will be a full investigation, which will include likelihoods of the several motivational aspects (mental, estrangement, anger, hate). But by then there will have been another ~ 50 mass shootings. My assumption is that a full investigation will take at least 90 days.

In the meantime can we close the private gun sale market loophole? Or would that be too infinge-y?

BTW this not so current, FBI PSA is embarrassing. Shades of the 1960's when we went down to school boiler room training for a nuclear attack.

Run, Hide, Fight....Die

https://www.fbi.gov/video-repository/run-hide-fight-092120.mp4/view

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeOdxKozra0

Edited by bamnutsak

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That’s why the criminal Justice system uses investigative processes and why courts see evidence and sworn testimony.

As you yourself demonstrate, it’s too easy to confuse people with news and social media reports.

Evidence and sworn testimony is the way to go.

Absolutely. 

Which is why I am somewhat skeptical of reports that this Mexican chap was a far right, neo nazi, white supremacist with 2 faces and interchangeable tattoos.

Let's wait for the evidence.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Absolutely. 

Which is why I am somewhat skeptical of reports that this Mexican chap was a far right, neo nazi, white supremacist with 2 faces and interchangeable tattoos.

Let's wait for the evidence.

I very much look forward to it, and the subsequent denial/conspiracies.

38 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The spin required to turn a Mexican gunman into a white supremacist hillbilly

I'm comfortable with the labels...

Alleged murderer

Alleged Domestic Terrorist

I really don't care about his gang affiliation.

52 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

There's only one Mauricio Garcia shooter. Good read below with all the evidence:

Tracing the Odnoklassniki Profile of the Texas Mall Shooter

Outside of contextual clues – such as a farewell post right before the 6 May shooting – the account also contains numerous photographs of identification documents.

On 5 April 2023, an image of a speeding ticket with Garcia’s name and date of birth visible was posted to the OK account.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2023/05/09/tracing-the-odnoklassniki-profile-of-the-texas-mall-shooter/

image.png.fa0cf13d95ff0b62fd964ebe725611be.png

image.png.1fae4e072b0618899498b76f23c4a64c.png

image.png.c8e298d05b9e02ffa6c820f076bc495d.png

image.png.931e3beb9e2190557e5ffdac4f93433a.png

image.png.b96f4dc615af57bf794e83fe69ee7895.png

Thanks. Good to get clarification on his identity after all the misleading reports. For a while there it seemed like there were two of them. Thankfully, it wasn't the 'same person with 2 identities'.

By the look of him, he clearly crossed over on the dark side. Very sad. 

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Thanks. Good to get clarification on his identity after all the misleading reports. For a while there it seemed like there were two of them. Thankfully, it wasn't the 'same person with 2 identities'.

Yes he did indeed. This from his social media account.

"He literally wrote that he was a Latino who would "take my chances with the white supremacist"

source bellingcat

53 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

There's only one Mauricio Garcia shooter. Good read below with all the evidence:

Tracing the Odnoklassniki Profile of the Texas Mall Shooter

Outside of contextual clues – such as a farewell post right before the 6 May shooting – the account also contains numerous photographs of identification documents.

On 5 April 2023, an image of a speeding ticket with Garcia’s name and date of birth visible was posted to the OK account.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/2023/05/09/tracing-the-odnoklassniki-profile-of-the-texas-mall-shooter/

image.png.fa0cf13d95ff0b62fd964ebe725611be.png

image.png.1fae4e072b0618899498b76f23c4a64c.png

image.png.c8e298d05b9e02ffa6c820f076bc495d.png

image.png.931e3beb9e2190557e5ffdac4f93433a.png

image.png.b96f4dc615af57bf794e83fe69ee7895.png

Quite the reliance on Russian social media for this.  It's good to know that the left are starting to trust the information coming from Russia and are refraining from throwing out baseless accusations that some Russian computer nerd would be able to concoct a fake profile within 30 minutes of the shooters name being announced.  

I think I'll hold off until something more official comes out, which based on how long it's taken for the manifesto from the trans shooter last month to be released, I won't be holding my breath.   

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, James105 said:

Quite the reliance on Russian social media for this.  It's good to know that the left are starting to trust the information coming from Russia and are refraining from throwing out baseless accusations that some Russian computer nerd would be able to concoct a fake profile within 30 minutes of the shooters name being announced.  

I think I'll hold off until something more official comes out, which based on how long it's taken for the manifesto from the trans shooter last month to be released, I won't be holding my breath.   

Not really, its widely reported elsewhere from official sources that you have missed

The suspect, Dallas resident Mauricio Garcia, was shot dead at the scene by a police officer.

"We do know he had neo-Nazi ideation," Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) Regional Director Hank Sibley told a news conference on Tuesday. "He had patches. He had tattoos."

Visible during the attack was a clothing patch the killer wore with the letters RWDS, which stands for "right-wing death squad", a phrase popular among white supremacist groups.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65540412

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Indeed. The spin required to turn a Mexican gunman into a white supremacist hillbilly should be fascinating to watch.

They have the body, and there are tattoos on his body.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1