‘Amazing Workation’ to further boost Thailand’s appeal to foreign film makers

webfact

image.jpeg

New initiative from Thailand Film Office aimed at strengthening the kingdom’s already impressive status as the preferred shooting location for all types of foreign film productions.

by TAT Newsroom

Bangkok – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is pleased to report the launch by the Thailand Film Office under the Department of Tourism, Ministry of Tourism and Sports, of ‘Thailand – Amazing Workation’, the newest chapter in Thailand’s ongoing efforts to remain one of the best filming destinations in the world.

Mr. Yuthasak Supasorn, Governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), said “Thailand is already a favourite filming location for foreign TV and film makers, who applaud the kingdom’s diverse geographical characteristics, historical sites, natural beauty, fascinating culture, and filmmaking services and government support. The latest Amazing Workation initiative will certainly help further strengthen this appeal.”

The ‘Amazing Workation’ initiative contains three aspects of film production fundamentals – Great Incentives, Great Services, and Great Relaxation.

The ‘Great Incentives’ reflect the best of value beyond ‘Fast Cash,’ ‘Speedy Pay (Rebate),’ and ‘Truly Transparent’ concept. The maximum rebate up to 20% for foreign film production projects that invest 50 million Baht will be increased to 150 million Baht per project. Income tax exemption will be given to foreign film actors when filming in Thailand, for a 5-year period from 2 August 2023 to 1 August 2028.

The ‘Great Services’ reflect the world-class services, facilities, and hospitality provided to foreign film makers in Thailand, while the ‘Great Relaxation’ represents the friendly charm, unique culture, and wonderful leisure activities that can be enjoyed while filming in Thailand.

Evidence of Thailand’s well-earned popularity as a filming destination for film makers from around the world, is data showing that 171 foreign films were shot in Thailand in the first four months of 2023 from January to April – earning revenue of 1.29 billion Baht. These represented an increase of 18 films and 118 million Baht in revenue when compared to the same period in 2022.

For 2023, the month of April alone saw 33 films productions – earning revenue of 169 million Baht. In the first three months of 2023, March recorded 60 film productions – earning 488 million Baht, February 2023 saw 43 film productions – earning 370.99 million Baht, and January welcomed 35 film productions – earning 270 million Baht.

In 2022, Thailand was chosen as the location for 348 foreign film productions – earning revenue of almost 6.4 billion Baht.

Among the most high-profile productions filmed recently in Thailand was the third season of ‘The Real Housewives Ultimate Girls Trip’ reality TV series in Phuket which premiered on the Peacock streaming service on 23 March 2023, and the final two episodes of season 27 of ABC’s “The Bachelor’ series in Krabi which aired on 20 and 27 March 2023.

On the big screen, Czech adventure comedy movie ‘Ostrov’ (The Island), which was shot almost entirely in Phuket and Krabi, was released in theatres in Europe in February 2023.

Source: https://www.tatnews.org/2023/05/amazing-workation-to-further-boost-thailands-appeal-to-foreign-film-makers/

4ccdac0057e1b125817854c2d637d854.png.b0b5f18f4c4dd9275118484d3c256be9.png

-- © Copyright TAT NEWS 2023-05-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is already a favourite filming location for foreign TV and film makers, who applaud the kingdom’s diverse geographical characteristics, historical sites, natural beauty, fascinating culture, and filmmaking services and government support.

Thais can do movies too ... but , in this case , they are not wanted to ... Hypocrisy ?

• Haha 2

I have a TV series of scripts yet every Thai agent I have written to has not even replied.  Mind you, Asean Now hasn't either, in response to my offer to submit a series of humorous pieces.

Edited by mikebell
extra thoughts.
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I have a TV series of scripts yet every Thai agent I have written to has not even replied.  Mind you, Asean Now hasn't either, in response my offer to submit a series of humorous pieces.

Go on then, give us a snippet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Go on then, give us a snippet. 

This caring environment enables abandoned dogs to procreate almost as fast as mosquitoes resulting in marauding packs of thirty or so feral dogs emerging in the gloom, dripping saliva and eying small children hungrily.  Because of the heat they sleep all day, only venturing forth during rush hour traffic adding yet another hazard to the roads.  No matter how hideously deformed or how riddled with rabies they are, the dogs must not be harmed.  There is no such thing as mercy-killing in Thailand except in mixed marriages.

The words ‘abandoned’ or ‘ownerless’ when applied to street dogs is rather loose.  If you hit or, heaven forbid, kill one of these unfortunate canines in your car, an angry, heartbroken mob of owners will emerge demanding compensation for the loss of their four-legged best friend.  Strangely, the opposite occurs.  If one of these animals wearing a collar damages your car; knocks you from your motorbike or bites you (requiring expensive inoculations); the likely owner goes glassy eyed and studiously avoids looking at his dying pet.

The dogs make sleep impossible as they sit howling at the moon or snarling over the corpse of a small child.  The dogs with caring owners, that feed them non-human flesh, are all deaf, seemingly unaware that there are other people on the earth, uncaring about the sleep patterns of those with jobs.  When it gets too bad, a kind of rough justice kicks in.  Crazed insomniacs buy 250 grams of chopped ham and some pellets of rat poison.  These lethal patties can then be lobbed over the garden wall of the offending critter.  So, I’ve heard.

• Confused 2
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

This caring environment enables abandoned dogs to procreate almost as fast as mosquitoes resulting in marauding packs of thirty or so feral dogs emerging in the gloom, dripping saliva and eying small children hungrily.  Because of the heat they sleep all day, only venturing forth during rush hour traffic adding yet another hazard to the roads.  No matter how hideously deformed or how riddled with rabies they are, the dogs must not be harmed.  There is no such thing as mercy-killing in Thailand except in mixed marriages.

The words ‘abandoned’ or ‘ownerless’ when applied to street dogs is rather loose.  If you hit or, heaven forbid, kill one of these unfortunate canines in your car, an angry, heartbroken mob of owners will emerge demanding compensation for the loss of their four-legged best friend.  Strangely, the opposite occurs.  If one of these animals wearing a collar damages your car; knocks you from your motorbike or bites you (requiring expensive inoculations); the likely owner goes glassy eyed and studiously avoids looking at his dying pet.

The dogs make sleep impossible as they sit howling at the moon or snarling over the corpse of a small child.  The dogs with caring owners, that feed them non-human flesh, are all deaf, seemingly unaware that there are other people on the earth, uncaring about the sleep patterns of those with jobs.  When it gets too bad, a kind of rough justice kicks in.  Crazed insomniacs buy 250 grams of chopped ham and some pellets of rat poison.  These lethal patties can then be lobbed over the garden wall of the offending critter.  So, I’ve heard.

So Where's the punchline?

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Reads like it was produced by an early, experimental, AI writing programme.

PS If you're pitching to TV you'd be better sending them a Treatment rather than.......well, whatever you think that is that you've posted.

PPS Just let me know if you want any more advice????

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The ‘Great Services’ reflect the world-class services, facilities, and hospitality provided to foreign film makers in Thailand, while the ‘Great Relaxation’ represents the friendly charm, unique culture, and wonderful leisure activities that can be enjoyed while filming in Thailand.

Rub a dub dub 3 in a tub?

Baby laughing.gif

About 10 to 12 years ago, Syfy used to come to Thailand to make some of their Saturday night movies, which were really awful.  Grand Elephant and Living Films used to have quite a busy schedule, although it would be about June or July when they would go into hibernation for the rainy season. So if the lead film they are hawking right now is some Czech comedy, I'd guess things are not doing too awfully well. Would guess it's Greenlight doing the production services for the reality stuff.

22 hours ago, Enoon said:

Reads like it was produced by an early, experimental, AI writing programme.

PS If you're pitching to TV you'd be better sending them a Treatment rather than.......well, whatever you think that is that you've posted.

PPS Just let me know if you want any more advice????

Thanks for the advice.  As an expert do you know any email addresses/names of agents that might be interested in a 'Treatment'.  I have tried 350 agencies in US/UK.  I am excluded from the BBC Open Door programme as I live in Thailand. In fact, as an 80 year old I feel excluded by many agencies as I am an old, white hetero-sexual male which is not a fashionable mix. The extract above was from the final part of my Thai Trilogy which at the moment exists as an unpublished blog. I'll PM you my website.