Underpasses and the distinction between "big bike" and other bikes

2 things

Firstly - 

Underpasses. For example the ones on the big bypass road running all down the center of Phuket. No motorbikes allowed. No No No! Very bad! Cannot!

What do people think about this?

Anyone have a rational explanation of why in other countries it is fine to ride a bike through an underpass but in Thailand it is illegal.

I used to ignore it sometimes to avoid the 3 minute red lights above and because I can't see any reason in my brain whatsoever.

I got pulled up about 6 months ago. Copper waiting at the exit of one of them. He was saying in Thai "many many people die" riding through underpasses.

Even hearing the words come out of his mouth I just cannot imagine many many people dying all the time in them or them being significantly more dangerous than the already ultra dangerous roads everywhere else.

Anybody have the solution to this puzzle?

For me the biggest thing going through my mind with underpasses is don't overtake and be extra careful and maybe the thing will collapse on my head.

Second - The distinction everywhere between "big bikes" and the rest. 

I can understand how for licencing this can be relevant as they have more power and take more skill to ride.

The separate car parking. I think comes down to the hierarchical culture in Thailand where every part of society there needs to be an option for "I'm better than you".

Think the VIP area in buses, boats, banks, cinemas, pi + nong, parking, seating. The list goes on.

I'm kind of answering my own question here but would like to hear peoples thoughts and opinions.

There is a road near my workplace that cars are allowed to drive down. Scooters are not allowed. However, if you're on a crappy CBR 250 then you're allowed to pass.

Is there any logic to be found here?

Lots of motorbikes here don't keep pace with the normal flow of traffic. In a restricted area where it may not be possible to take evasive action left or right, this would seem to cause a greater hazard than on the open road. I suppose lane-splitting in such an area also poses a greater hazard. If all motorbikes traveled at the same speed as the rest of traffic and did not engage in lane-splitting, perhaps they would not be banned from underpasses and similar.

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Who or what gave you the idea to expect logic in Thailand?

There is no logic. Don't try to find it because it was never there.

After you accept this simple truth, life is so much easier.

I completely agree and i normally preach the same. If you try to understand things you will go crazy. Best not to bother.

However, after living here ten years the temptation to find the logic in these things has been bugging me.

As it may be me that is missing something that is plain to see

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Lots of motorbikes here don't keep pace with the normal flow of traffic. In a restricted area where it may not be possible to take evasive action left or right, this would seem to cause a greater hazard than on the open road. I suppose lane-splitting in such an area also poses a greater hazard. If all motorbikes traveled at the same speed as the rest of traffic and did not engage in lane-splitting, perhaps they would not be banned from underpasses and similar.

Thanks i guess that may be the reason.

As in other countries or mine at least you typically don't have hundreds of 125cc bikes in underpasses.

Logic has been found

• Haha 1