Bangkok Airways to revive flights to Mae Hong Son, northern Thailand

snoop1130

bangkok-airways-flight-taking-off-1.jpg

Mae Hong Son Airport in northern Thailand became a ghost town after Nok Air scrapped the only remaining commercial route to the airport last month. But much to the delight of local tourism operators, Bangkok Airways is planning to revive flights to the province.

Bangkok Airways is looking to start flying between Bangkok and Mae Hong Son via Lampang thrice weekly, beginning as soon as August 2, 2023, according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT). The airport services the popular backpacking town of Pai.

Nok Air can no longer fly the Don Mueang – Mae Hong Son route because the airline is bidding farewell to its fleet of Q400 aircraft (86-seat turboprops) and swapping them for Boeing 787-800 jets (189 seaters).

Senior President of the Mae Hong Son Chamber of Commerce, Chanakhet Boonyakhan, said that a 737-800 jet could land on the runway at Mae Hong Son Airport, which is 30 metres by 2000 metres. After all, Thai Airways used to fly a 747-400 aircraft, another large jet, to Mae Hong Son with no problem.

However, it is not cost-effective to service the route with a 189-seat aircraft. The 80-seat flights are often full, but the demand is not higher than that, said Chanakhet. There should be at least 100 people on the flight to make it cost-effective.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/transport/bangkok-airways-to-revive-flights-to-mae-hong-son-northern-thailand

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Bangkok Airways is looking to start flying between Bangkok and Mae Hong Son via Lampang thrice weekly, beginning as soon as August 2, 2023, according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT). The airport services the popular backpacking town of Pai.

I have a friend who has a home in Pai, never fancied the drive up there, this might be worth looking at.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I have a friend who has a home in Pai, never fancied the drive up there, this might be worth looking at.

Not a fan of Pai myself, a bit commercialized and for the young hippy tourist .....but the Mae Hong Son Loop  is a good drive and there are a few really great places to stay on the river. If you have a pal to show you around I think it would be a good trip.... some interesting caves to see. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

but the Mae Hong Son Loop  is a good drive and there are a few really great places to stay on the river. If you have a pal to show you around I think it would be a good trip.... some interesting caves to see. 

My friend sent some photo's recently during the mid April holiday.

They stayed at a resort type place on the banks of a river near there, looked very relaxing.. Can't remember the name of the place.

Might be near where you mentioned.

Just now, hotchilli said:

My friend sent some photo's recently during the mid April holiday.

They stayed at a resort type place on the banks of a river near there, looked very relaxing.. Can't remember the name of the place.

Might be near where you mentioned.

The Village was called Pang Mapha, not much there but was in a good resort on the river, living in a small tree house! Long time ago now... maybe the termites got it!

• Like 1

I would have thought a better option would be operating a regular air service from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son, using smaller aircraft. A turboprop would do the trip in less than one hour. By bus or car, at least 6 hours going around 1824 bends, mostly hairpin. It's not a good trip for people who get carsick. I understand pre-COVID, people who had done the road trip would opt for air travel on the return, to avoid a repeat of their experience.

Mae Hong Son is one of those nice places to go to - once. Apparently the only way to get there by air from Chiang Mai is chartering a plane. Expensive.

It needs an entrepreneur to get an affordable and convenient air service up and running.

I used to know a massage lady in Chiang Mai whose family was in Mae Hong Son. Once a month, she would get on her scooter and drive there on Friday afternoons, returning on Sunday afternoon. I don't know how she survived.

• Thumbs Up 1

living in Pai I would never drive to MHS airport, just to far. better drive then to Cmai and continue by plane!

why not start a service  with a smaller plane from Cmai - Pai - MHS vv? once or twice a week should be enough!

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, the drive from CM to MHS is “ missable”, but my wife insists on driving it when we visit relatives because she can’t imagine being without a car. Since she is the only current driver I take a “barf bag” and try to enjoy the scenery.????

Kan Air used to operate 2 x 12 seater Cessna Caravan from Chiang Mai to Pai / Nan / Mae Hong Son and possibly Chiang Rai but they folded long ago. Dropping down between the hills and banking into MHS was fabulous.

Another outfit took over the aircraft after Kan folded after getting overly adventurous running leased aircraft to Hua Hin but didn't last long. The Caravans used to be parked up at CNX but lost track many years back but would love to see the service reintroduced.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

to start flying between Bangkok and Mae Hong Son via Lampang thrice weekly

What would be ideal is to re-introduce regular flights between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son - just 35 minutes over the mountains by turbo-prop! 

So, to fly from Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son, one will have to fly south to BKK then back north to MHS? Alternatively one could drive or take the train from CM to Lampang then board a flight to MHS?

For those not familiar with this mountainous region in Lanna, by road would take:

Northern Loop route 1095 from CM to MHS (via Pai) - 235 kms (5 hours)

Southern Loop route 108 from CM to MHS (via Mae Sariang) - 380 kms (8 hours)

24 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

Kan Air used to operate 2 x 12 seater Cessna Caravan from Chiang Mai to Pai / Nan / Mae Hong Son and possibly Chiang Rai but they folded long ago. Dropping down between the hills and banking into MHS was fabulous.

Another outfit took over the aircraft after Kan folded after getting overly adventurous running leased aircraft to Hua Hin but didn't last long. The Caravans used to be parked up at CNX but lost track many years back but would love to see the service reintroduced.

Thanks, brought back memories of Kan Air flights I made between Khon Kaen and Chiang Mai several years ago. A hot meal (spag bol) was included on the ATR plane. I remember very comforable seats and fantastic views from the plane as it flew at a much lower altitude than the jets. Thai Air Asia now fly the route.

220px-HS-KAD_%2815929857285%29.jpg

Kan Air ATR 72–500, Khon Kaen Airport, (December 2014)

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information