Thai durian farmers on the lookout for thieves after prices jump

snoop1130

C69AF9A7-E82E-4C6D-A040-EC3D7D8EF393.jpeg

Durian farmer, photo by Matichon.

Thai durian farmers are on the lookout for thieves now that durian prices have jumped.

Durian farmers in the northern Tak province, located near the border with Myanmar, are taking extra precautions to protect their orchards from thieves following a significant increase in durian prices this year. The rising prices prompted farmers to guard their fruit day and night, according to Matichon.

Chub Buasom, known affectionately as Uncle Chub, a farmer in the Ruam Thai Phatthana sub-district of Phop Phra district, revealed that durians were previously sold for 120 baht per kilogram at the orchards. However, the price has surged this year to 180 baht per kilogram.

The price hike can be attributed to a decrease in output caused by frequent fluctuations in temperature, with orchards experiencing alternating hot and cold spells.

With the promise of higher profits, farmers have been compelled to hire guards to protect their orchards round the clock and prevent theft. In the Ruam Thai Phatthana sub-district alone, there are approximately eight large orchards operated by 18 farmers, covering over 100 rai of land, most of which are dedicated to cultivating the prized Mon Thong variety of durians.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-durian-farmers-on-the-lookout-for-thieves-after-prices-jump

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

14 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Most over-priced obnoxious fruit I've ever had the mis-fortune to smell.

IMHO

Funny, I love it but understand as most farang don't like Thai food either.

Guava, dragon fruit, meh.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, ezzra said:

A lawyer friend of mine is busy with Chinees merchants signing multiple contracts with durian farmers to export the fruits to China, maybe that's the reason for the price jump.

The season is coming to an end that's all. The Chinese have for years done an excellent job of wiping the fruit off the Thai market

Edited by Plern

My son in law is here in Thailand at the moment it's his first time here he asked me about it, the most expensive fruit in the world he showed me a place selling it in the UK I told him I can send you loads over we'll make a fortune, 

16 minutes ago, Plern said:

Funny, I love it but understand as most farang don't like Thai food either.

Guava, dragon fruit, meh.

I love and consume every other type of fruit in Thailand.. just not Durian..

it's an acquired taste which I obviously haven't acquired.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Most over-priced obnoxious fruit I've ever had the mis-fortune to smell.

IMHO

It smells bad as you say, but it tastes rather good? Or should I say not as bad as it smells?????

Edited by mikeymike100
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

(...) durians were previously sold for 120 baht per kilogram at the orchards. However, the price has surged this year to 180 baht per kilogram.

The price hike can be attributed to a decrease in output caused by frequent fluctuations in temperature, with orchards experiencing alternating hot and cold spells.

With the promise of higher profits (...)

Doesn't really make sense. 'Price hike due to decrease in output', but 'promise of higher profits'...

Seems, that the 'decrease in output' was only small (if any), while the farmers just jumped on the bandwagon of 50-percent price-rises for food because they can...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

33 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

It smells bad as you say, but it tastes rather good? Or should I say not as bad as it smells?????

In my experience it something smells like something you picked up on the bottom of your shoe there's no need to taste it to confirm your beliefs.

• Haha 1