Thai Immigration Bureau Intensifies Crackdown on Overstaying Foreigners

webfact

14 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I get where you are coming from. Although not the best example   the red bull guy (or his family) are reputed to have paid somewhere in the region of 3 million baht to the family of the policeman he killed. How much would they have received if he had been run over by a poor farmer who may only have had "por ror bor" insurance ( or no insurance) 

Ok had that been the case the poor farmer would no doubt have received some jail time but would that have put food on the table or paid for their kids education etc  if I was the dead policeman looking down from above  I think I would be more concerned about my family's financial well being, rather than exacting earthly revenge in the form of a few years jail time on the perpetrator of my death.

Somebody using corruption against me  in a different way , is  as you say,  a possibility, but on the balance of probability I'm quite happy to be here as opposed to the "totally incorrupt" UK

I also understand where you are coming from. Corruption has helped me out in the past, I got my father in law out of jail once, not buy paying but using police connections. However, it gets very complicated and dangerous when you play the 'boon koon' game, as people in power here are routinely replaced.  

Yes, I find corruption to be convenient sometimes, like when going through the wrong turnstile onto the elevated highway. 300 baht to to cop, or go back into Bangkok to the police station, not being able to park, and adding 3 hours to my trip to Khon Kaen. Yes, thank God for corruption here. When one of my kids just can't pass a Chinese exam, paying the teacher 500 baht an hour for 'help' is also convenient. Actually, I can think of many more ways it is useful, but as I mentioned it can backfire against you. 

Regarding the Red Bull guy, it's terrible how he has been hounded by the international press, and you are correct, the deceased's family have been very well compensated, especially as in similar cases I've known, the deceased family gets 50,000 baht. The penalty should definitely not be more just because the guy is from a rich family. 

Most people like corruption if they have money. It's interesting to see people's view on corruption as their personal circumstances change. Similarly, with Cronyism and Nepotism. Thai culture embraces 'boon koon' which I guess is similar to 'old boy's network' in the UK or US., where corruption is frowned upon but happens at a national level.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I also understand where you are coming from. Corruption has helped me out in the past, I got my father in law out of jail once, not buy paying but using police connections. However, it gets very complicated and dangerous when you play the 'boon koon' game, as people in power here are routinely replaced.  

Yes, I find corruption to be convenient sometimes, like when going through the wrong turnstile onto the elevated highway. 300 baht to to cop, or go back into Bangkok to the police station, not being able to park, and adding 3 hours to my trip to Khon Kaen. Yes, thank God for corruption here. When one of my kids just can't pass a Chinese exam, paying the teacher 500 baht an hour for 'help' is also convenient. Actually, I can think of many more ways it is useful, but as I mentioned it can backfire against you. 

Regarding the Red Bull guy, it's terrible how he has been hounded by the international press, and you are correct, the deceased's family have been very well compensated, especially as in similar cases I've known, the deceased family gets 50,000 baht. The penalty should definitely not be more just because the guy is from a rich family. 

Most people like corruption if they have money. It's interesting to see people's view on corruption as their personal circumstances change. Similarly, with Cronyism and Nepotism. Thai culture embraces 'boon koon' which I guess is similar to 'old boy's network' in the UK or US., where corruption is frowned upon but happens at a national level.

I must admit though whilst sitting in the dentist's chair or sitting on a thai smile aircraft I often wonder if their qualifications were gained the traditional way or not I suppose that's the other side of the coin . No problems so far,  Apart from one time , I experienced a hell of a rough landing at Khon Kaen airport I  genuinely thought he'd forgot to drop the landing gear !  A few women screamed and there was a sort of gasp went through the plane  similar to what you might hear after a near miss at a football match !  Once the plane stopped the pilot apologised

I used to live in Khon kaen in amphoe Nong Rua  about  25  years ago  I built a house on the road to Phu Wiang  I had a few issues with the P.E.A.  who were refusing to connect me up ,

At the time I was staying at a Thai friends house and one night we attended a party to celebrate the opening of the new "or bor dor" office where my friend introduced me  to a guy called "Somsak Khun ngern"  I'm sure you've heard of him.

Anyway during the evening the problems regarding my electrical supply came up in the conversation , he told me not to worry,   The next day a manager from the PEA came to see me with a big Wai and about an hour or so  later I was connected !. they didn't even charge me for the two extra posts they put in for me as my house was going to be built  100m from the road ,neither did I have to have the "special" meter whilst it was being built.       Definitely a positive outcome and well worth the bottle of single malt  I brought back for him on my next visit

Ever since then I have always been a firm believer of cultivating friendships with Thais whenever possible and to be honest I've lost count of the number of times it's helped me out.

Conversely I generally avoid westerners, (apart from a few long term friends), I find them to invariably be a source of problems, and I really can't stand moaners

I eventually fell out with the (ex) mrs and ended up in Surin with a new one, but I still visit there regularly and am always made to feel welcome, in fact it gets a bit embarrassing, for example, when I'm unable to put my hand in my pocket to pay my way at a restaurant

There is a lot of truth in the saying "its not what you know but who you know" 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

At the time I was staying at a Thai friends house and one night we attended a party to celebrate the opening of the new "or bor dor" office where my friend introduced me  to a guy called "Somsak Khun ngern"  I'm sure you've heard of him.

Oh yes, I know that MP, but not personally. 

If living here long-term, it is essential to make these connections. My friend comes from Nong Reua. He had a dinner party once between Nong Rua and Chumpae and his sister in law was the Mia Noi of the head cop of 7 Northern Provinces of Isaan, who became a friend. At that dinner, I made many fruitful connections(note- not friends) - got offered a helicopter ride to the top of Pu Krateung by the head cop there, got a job in Pu Kieow  through the head of Chumpae police. Played tennis with Daeng, the head of Khon Kaen, and ended up teaching English to the CSD.  These relationships were invaluable for a comfortable, stress-free life over the following years. These 'Poo Yai' are great to know but they sometimes surprise you out of the blue for a favour.   

46 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Nong Rua and Chumpae

My X gf and her niece whom I supported through Uni were from a village 15km outside of Chumpae.  I remember prior to Covid there was a lot of talk about Chumpae being split-off into a separate province.  Is that still in the works or did it fade away?

30 minutes ago, quake said:

That's funny, we used to call that Brown Nosing, back in the day. :giggle:

I prefer the word networking, but you can call it what you want, Either way  It is a lot more enjoyable and infinitely more productive than limiting yourself to associating with the usual bitter and twisted old expats in their "farang watering holes" 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dddave said:

My X gf and her niece whom I supported through Uni were from a village 15km outside of Chumpae.  I remember prior to Covid there was a lot of talk about Chumpae being split-off into a separate province.  Is that still in the works or did it fade away?

It faded away 

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, quake said:

That's funny, we used to call that Brown Nosing, back in the day. :giggle:

I think you don't understand Thai culture. Thais are raised to be 'samneuk boon koon', or 'repaying favours', it's an integral part of the culture. Perhaps a Western equivalent would be 'you scratch my back..'

On 5/20/2023 at 11:58 AM, riverhigh said:

News I really don't want to hear or read about. Nothing positive, just more negativity regarding foreigners living in Thailand. The usual BS "we must protect the Thai boarders, ensure public safety and maintain national security" which essentially means Thailand is for Thais. The news I want, and never will hear, is permanent residency for retirees. I loathe Thai immigration and time-consuming, anti-foreigner regulations.

No westerners are going to Thailand to retire. Other than the guys that watch Youtube... LOL.

Thailand is and has been a dead end for years. Basically the retiree's that are there now will be, and are dying off in droves. Military , Chinese influence, Rich Thai's that embrace the Chinese way have been driving that nail in the coffin for years. Most from the west are bypassing it now.

Personally I have no problem with it what so ever. Times change. 

I spent 10 very enjoyable years there , would not change a thing. But, that was then. Now I would not even think about it.

Another thing to think about is the geopolitical issues. Things are getting worse between the west and China by the day. All geopolitical people here are saying China is in a free fall and 10 years will be in serious trouble. I personally do not like politics , but if you are retiring you need to think about the repercussions of things like this.

On that alone I would not even think about retiring there. Western dollars are drying up in Thailand and China is trying to step in with the Military and rich support. A slippery slope for westerners IMHO.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

We have already tried Iron Curtains. Micro-managing  wont work either. It is the ignorant and poorly educated that wish to be isolationists. They want to close out the world and live in their own itty-bitty world. Thailand already has among the strictest immigration policy's around. Forcing already short term tourists to make a Visa run is not a  good solution. The obvious solution is to extend the visa time limits. This would cut violations dramatically. This gives the impression that Thai's simply do not like foreigners. Please come and bring your money, then GET THE HELL OUT. Micro-managing tourists shows an Authoritarian underside to Thailand. I am certain there is a better solution. The right to come and go as we please is one of the most unalienable Human Rights throughout history. It is also one of the center stones of Democracy.

Edited by TOPDOG1
TYPOS AND CORRECTIONS
  • Haha 1

Oh my, 1000+ overstayers caught in a week, just like so many articles from arresting foreigners, to 2000% demand increases in property demand, to economic figures all doing so well, yes we are so low IQ, we foreigners, we believe anything, or maybe it's for the rest of the countries population, that they look down on, regarding them as playing the banjo's in the movie scene 'deliverance', 

just so much horse manure, wrapped around a ounce of truth, and if anyone pushes, you lied through your big rear behind, it's off to the non-rule of law court system for criminal defamation,

and if you can't prove it, with live stream video, with clear audio, where all involved are shouting 'we did it, guilty as sin' then it's a billion baht compensation, with a group of filthy corrupt lawyers and all other staff from the court house, with bags of cash, in their new benz's

I once met female taxi driver in Bangkok (about under 40). Her story was quite typical: after high school her parents sent her to study to Australia, upon her return they helped her to get a job at International BOI company, but she (I guess) didn't go well neither with thai staff nor foreigners: thais were too "low level to her" yet farangs didn't treat her as an equal. So after searching for a job for almost a year she decided to become a taxi driver "with a mission" - she listen and chat with foreigners, take notes and report anything interesting to IB.

She really hated foreigner, I almost felt hatred with every word she spoke.

Maybe with freaks like these kind they could "apprehend" that many overstayers. Otherwise I doubt it.

PS: I wonder do they pay her? Real money, not tickets to vynil-banner motivation camps?