Barclays are going to close my UK bank account

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The schoolboy error is telling them you've moved to Thailand

Yep once again total agreement with you

Why oh why do these people red flag themselves

Even the last resort of "boatmail" is more than adequate should you have absolutely no family at all in the UK

They (Barclays) did this to me around 8 years ago with little or no warning, sending a check for the balance (that I would never be able to deposit) that never arrived.

Without going into too much detail, I realistically owed them more than they owed me, so I wrote them a letter asking them how they expected me to pay my liabilities, since the account they demanded to close was my only viable means of making regular payments in the UK. Never did get a reasonable response. My position ever since is that I do not recognise the debt and I've not heard from them in years.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Lying to your bank or government offices is probably not a good idea.

Edited by Thailand
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

To try and undo get a UK address and spend 2 years in UK was not something I wanted to do.

So it would have had to be 2 years. What about spending just one year, and during that year open an account with every possible bank before moving out again?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, JackGats said:

So it would have had to be 2 years. What about spending just one year, and during that year open an account with every possible bank before moving out again?

Last I read for me to stop my UK pension being frozen a period of 2 years living in UK with a UK address and the UK pension being paid into a UK bank account.

Of course you can still trot about all over the place your not a prisoner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Last I read for me to stop my UK pension being frozen a period of 2 years living in UK with a UK address and the UK pension being paid into a UK bank account.

Of course you can still trot about all over the place your not a prisoner.

I see. It's as much a frozen pension issue as one of not having a bank account outside Thailand any more.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Lol, I didn’t have much choice seeing as it was Barclays who moved me overseas (Singapore) 15 years ago. 

Still have my bank account, credit cards & Investment/ISA accounts with them but use a UK address for all of my correspondence. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Well, after smugly declaring a couple of weeks ago "my UK account with Barclays is just WONDERFUL" the <expletive deleted> have decided to cull all non-resident accounts it seems.

How do you know they are culling all non-resident accounts, did they tell you that?

16 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

How do you know they are culling all non-resident accounts, did they tell you that?

Because on their FAQ they have the section "Non-UK residents – making changes to your banking" so I assume this is now a genral policy

15 minutes ago, nglodnig said:
28 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

15 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

Because on their FAQ they have the section "Non-UK residents – making changes to your banking" so I assume this is now a genral policy

Ah, so it's an assumption, not a verified fact. Thank you for your honest answer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Without going into too much detail, I realistically owed them more than they owed me,

Sounds to me like they were glad to be shot of you. 

Edited by Moonlover

On 5/20/2023 at 5:30 PM, Chivas said:

Yep once again total agreement with you

Why oh why do these people red flag themselves

Even the last resort of "boatmail" is more than adequate should you have absolutely no family at all in the UK

Just use the last UK address you lived at.

The current residents may get peeved, but there's nothing they can do about it.

58 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Just use the last UK address you lived at.

The current residents may get peeved, but there's nothing they can do about it.

The worst possible advice!

If the real occupiers send the mail back as "unknown at this address" three times the bank account will be closed automatically!

That is the rules in many, if not all, UK banks!

I worked for two UK banks and that was their rules!

Edited by scottiejohn
clarification!
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 8:38 PM, Moonlover said:

Ah, so it's an assumption, not a verified fact. Thank you for your honest answer.

I think the following FAQ and Answer is pretty conclusive.

Can I have an address outside the UK and keep my accounts open?

You'll only be able to have an address outside the UK and keep your accounts open if:

• You’re a UK Crown employee, or you’re the spouse or civil partner of a UK Crown employee
  • The address outside the UK on your account is for someone who manages your account for you (for example, someone who has power of attorney), or for someone who’s set up to receive information on your behalf (for example, an accountant or lawyer)
  • You’re outside the UK on a temporary basis for six months or less and will be moving back to the UK.

Alternatively you can supply them a 'UK address' and make sure nothing raises their suspicions. 

Edited by Stocky

46 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Alternatively you can supply them a 'UK address' and make sure nothing raises their suspicions. 

Which would be a fake in my case - and the criteria for validating the address include for example utility bills and credit cards in YOUR NAME for that address. 

Impossible to achieve. I've been checking all the "big four" international off-shore bank account offerings - they all want you to give them big bucks and leave it in your account forever. No thanks.