UK bank says the holder has to have a permanent address

a good friend has been getting income deposited into her bank for years. Now they want to close it down, because she lives here in Thiland and cannot furnish a permanent address in the UK. What to do? Its something to do with the after effects of that damned Brexit. My suggestion would be to instruct the UK rental agent to send the money to the bank account of a family/reliable friend. She has both in the UK and (ROI - Irleand). But then, it gets tricky, for a number of reasons.  Any thoughts? i think its Barclays she's heard from. . 

Just now, KannikaP said:
4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

it's actually the "after effects" of them telling his bank he moved to Thailand 

So tell 'em you've moved back.

To an address that they cannot show is theirs when the bank asks them...as it will when it doesn't check out?  The bank knows that they live in Thailand.

• Like 1

It's becoming more common now, but this has been going on since before Brexit.

The way I see it, there are only two options. Feel free to add more if you can think of any.

1. Open an offshore account. Will likely be expensive.

2. Basically lie. Use a family member's or trusted friend's address.  Bear in mind that trying to open a new account, the bank might require proof of address such as Driving Licence, or Council Tax Bill.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Mutt Daeng said:
6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

She has no choice, the bank is closing the account, not her.

After she tells the bank that she, magically, has suddenly become UK resident again (immediately after the bank's advice) with the bank knowing that she hasn't, don't you think think that they will check?  They will.

Expand  

Quite agree. It's very likely that the bank will invite the account-holder to make a personal appearance at one of their branches.

Yes...or ask her why her name doesn't show on the electoral register at the fake address she provides or why she cannot produce utility bills in her name.

In reality the bank will realise that she is obviously lying (it knows she lives in Thailand) and won't bother to investigate, it'll just send her notification that the account is closing and ask her where would she like the balance sending.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

More and more UK banks are pulling the plug on "non UK residents", I thought it was actually a government directive but it seems it's really individual banks.

It's been the UK banks' (not strictly enforced) regulation for many years, as you found out, probably at the BoE's recommendation, so I suppose it is a government directive indirectly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Bear in mind that trying to open a new account, the bank might require proof of address such as Driving Licence, or Council Tax Bill.

That will also be the situation when a known resident of Thailand suddenly claims to have a new UK address to avoid having her account closed.

24 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes...or ask her why her name doesn't show on the electoral register at the fake address she provides or why she cannot produce utility bills in her name.

In reality the bank will realise that she is obviously lying (it knows she lives in Thailand) and won't bother to investigate, it'll just send her notification that the account is closing and ask her where would she like the balance sending.

If I live with my daughter when I go back to UK and she registered me as living there and go back and fourth to Thailand it can be done. 

Can't believe a bank would be bothered other than not having a UK address. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:
29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

If I live with my daughter when I go back to UK and she registered me as living there and go back and fourth to Thailand it can be done.

Of course, but that's not the OP's situation.

• Like 1