Thai with expired passport

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes 

Is her other pp valid?

She can exit on that pp and enter Thailand on her expired thai pp.

Hmmm...  When my daughter came in September she had a valid US and an expired Thai passport. She told the IO she wanted to enter on the expired passport, they said better on the US as you have to leave on the same passport. She explained her parents were at the airport and the first stop was the passport agency on CW. So entered on the old expired Thai passport and had a new one in 5 days to exit on. She told me  "IO said if I enter on one passport and I must exit on the same." Yes it was new but biometrically tied to her old one.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, marin said:

Hmmm...  When my daughter came in September she had a valid US and an expired Thai passport. She told the IO she wanted to enter on the expired passport, they said better on the US as you have to leave on the same passport. She explained her parents were at the airport and the first stop was the passport agency on CW. So entered on the old expired Thai passport and had a new one in 5 days to exit on. She told me  "IO said if I enter on one passport and I must exit on the same." Yes it was new but biometrically tied to her old one.

The IO can't refuse a Thai with a expired passport.

Maybe she have 'lost' the US passport at the airport.

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

She came in on the expired passport. The IO was advising her to use the US to both enter and leave on. She declined. As I said less than a week later she had the new Thai passport. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

This makes perfect sense. If she enters on the Thai passport, she cannot leave on the US passport. The IO sensibly pointed that out.

Agreed mate. I only posted it up in response to a post saying something quite different above mine. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, BritTim said:

This makes perfect sense. If she enters on the Thai passport, she cannot leave on the US passport. 

Wouldn't she need a "visa" (incl. VFE) to enter Thailand with a foreign passport?

If so, for a longer stay, entering with the Thai passport would make sense.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Wouldn't she need a "visa" (incl. VFE) to enter Thailand with a foreign passport?

My kid was coming for 3 weeks. On a US passport she could arrive Visa exempt. She chose not to do so, but the option was there as offered by the Thai IO.

You can enter Thailand on an exipred Thai passport. But entering on an expired Thai passport means that you need to leave on a Thai passport and that you can not do aon an expired Thai passport.. So you have to get a new passport in Thailand, for which both parents must agree. 

On 5/21/2023 at 9:49 AM, Neeranam said:

Or never mentioned that she was carrying 2 passports.

Just show the Thai pp and mention 'it's expired'.

US passport tucked away, never seen or menioned at the arrival airport.

• 2 months later...

Follow up on this thread,

I forwarded this thread to my friend, and explained that his daughter should enter on her expired Thai passport.

Yesterday I found out that they decided to go against my advice, and she entered on her foreign passport anyway.

The stamp she got expired end of July.

They made a new Thai passport just the other day, and he said they got a document, not sure if it was from the passport office or the Amphur where they made a Thai ID card, since she didn't have one yet, that rectifies everything, and she can just exit on her Thai passport.

Is this possible, or is he just a dumb ass, and will she be charged overstay on her exit?

Without seeing any new stamps in the foreign and Thai passports, and precisely what the document referred to consists of, we cannot say. Fines are still possible.

There is a procedure followed in Thailand for a change to newly acquired Thai citizenship that cleanly terminates the stay on the foreign passport. I do not think that is possible here, but maybe there is something similar.

She didn't aquire new Thai citizenship, since she has been Thai since birth. She was born in Europe, but she has never lived in Thailand, that's why she didn't have a Thai ID card yet.

Her first Thai passport was issues buy the Embassy and had expired, To renew the passport here, she had to apply for an ID card first

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

Follow up on this thread,

I forwarded this thread to my friend, and explained that his daughter should enter on her expired Thai passport.

Yesterday I found out that they decided to go against my advice, and she entered on her foreign passport anyway.

The stamp she got expired end of July.

They made a new Thai passport just the other day, and he said they got a document, not sure if it was from the passport office or the Amphur where they made a Thai ID card, since she didn't have one yet, that rectifies everything, and she can just exit on her Thai passport.

Is this possible, or is he just a dumb ass, and will she be charged overstay on her exit?

I advise going to immigration to get them to write something in the US passport. 

I have this in my UK passport, something along the lines of 'this person has acquired Thai citizenship'. This was recommended to me to avoid any hassle at the airport, as some have been fined, especially if the visa has not expired by itself. 

4 hours ago, BenStark said:

She didn't aquire new Thai citizenship, since she has been Thai since birth. She was born in Europe, but she has never lived in Thailand, that's why she didn't have a Thai ID card yet.

Her first Thai passport was issues buy the Embassy and had expired, To renew the passport here, she had to apply for an ID card first

I understand that. It is not a unique case, and (by entering as a foreigner) has created a complicated situation.