Thai MP-elect aims to break £11bn alcohol duopoly with progressive bill

webfact

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

The big problem for the big three (it's actually an oligopoly) is when half decent beers are widely available at a reasonable price people will stop drinking their cat's piss that passes for beer.

Half decent at best.

3 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Not a fan of CUB beers. I like Goat and Coopers and Mornington for normal priced beers. Tastes like beer. 

What should beer taste like ? :stoner:

Edited by quake

5 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Should have a fullness to it and broad taste rather than beer flavoured water as someone else put it well. I used to like Chang long time ago but it seemed to change and become generic at some point.

Chang is very different than it was back in the day, and it was stronger, in the brown bottles.

Nothing wrong with Varity in beer to chose from,  I'm all for it.

But Beer snobs,  No thank you. they are a terrible bore to be around.

Thai low quality beer is no different from the low quality beer sold all round the world.

Beer snobs go home. :giggle:

Edited by quake
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, quake said:

Chang is very different than it was back in the day, and it was stronger, in the brown bottles.

Nothing wrong with Varity in beer to chose from,  I'm all for it.

But Beer snobs,  No thank you. they are a terrible bore to be around.

Thai low quality beer is no different from the low quality beer sold all round the world.

I agree. It’s not about having to drink those brews from a Belgian monastery for $20 a bottle. Some of the beers I like still don’t rate that well on some of those sites that rate beers. Would be nice to have a bigger range at a fair price similar to Australia. No big wine tax too. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I agree. It’s not about having to drink those brews from a Belgian monastery for $20 a bottle. Some of the beers I like still don’t rate that well on some of those sites that rate beers. Would be nice to have a bigger range at a fair price similar to Australia. No big wine tax too. 

Yeap, it always been about money

and that will  continue no matter who is in power that makes the decisions

in the last 10 years many different imported beers have been available,

but just to expensive to bother with.

the price will never come down.

it's to bigger earner for all involved. 

Ps, Leo time. off to Ma and Pa shop for 3 big bottles 

195 baht, thank you very big. :jap:

Edited by quake
  • Sad 1

I cannot imagine how the govt will explain all this to ordinary Thais.

Move Forward Spokesperson (MFS): "We are going to break up the beer monopoly here."

People: "So you mean there is only one beer company in Thailand?"

MFS: "No, we are talking about Boonrawd and ThaiBev."

People: "Do you think we're stupid. That's a duopoly."

MFS: "We want to break up the duopoly then."

People: "And what about Thai Asia Pacific Brewery, Phuket Beer, Siam breweries and Klassik beer?"

MFS: "As we said, we want to break up the, er, multi-thingame-opoly."

People: "But we like watery Thai beer. Are you changing this because one or two people want to enter the market? Or because foreigners ordered you to? This is Thailand, you know?"

MFS: "B*gger it, we want to introduce strong beers that will make everyone too drunk to see us muck up other things. OK?"

Edited by Purdey
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

Which so much corruption in the two families that run the deal they know who to pay off so the problem odds of this happening I think I’m very unlikely TIT

Absolutely correct. Competition will never be allowed.Like it has been said...corruption is way to deep and inbred in this country.Thats what keeps them back.The average labourer makes what? $10/day...smh 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, h90 said:

now they allow beer but they'll ban weed...so zero sum

They are not banning it, they are regulating it per multiple statements and Pita's words just yesterday confirming that currently licenced sellers have nothing to worry about. 

The ole brewing industry in Thailand stinks. The monopolies who have the power or still feeding us the same crap beer as they always did.

Its time for the small brewers to have a shot. Over priced Singer, Chang, Leo & Tiger should be a thing of the past, the beer industry as to move on. 

4 hours ago, dinsdale said:

The big problem for the big three (it's actually an oligopoly) is when half decent beers are widely available at a reasonable price people will stop drinking their cat's piss that passes for beer.

Problem is here the high tax...the beer is not that expensive if there wouldn't be crazy tax on it. Big supermarkets have a wide varity of import beers but not cheap and sometimes old or not stored well.....If a good brand German beer taste worse than Chang something must have happened

6 minutes ago, Snig27 said:

Both operate under the wing of the big two. 

There were 134 brewers at the recent Bangkok beer festival and none can get licenses to sell beyond their premises. Have you thought about offering your legal expertise to some of these? 

Just wondering how all these beer companies are explained as a monopoly to ordinary people. They are in business and are allowed to sell after all. 

12 minutes ago, Frankie baby said:

The ole brewing industry in Thailand stinks. The monopolies who have the power or still feeding us the same crap beer as they always did.

Its time for the small brewers to have a shot. Over priced Singer, Chang, Leo & Tiger should be a thing of the past, the beer industry as to move on. 

The price will not come down.

People are just dreaming, sure better choice. that's great.

The only thing that comes down in Thailand is Drawers.

Please, please, please... Thai beer's some of the worst in SE Asia, and with the current setup they have zero incentive to improve things. Let's see a booming craft beer industry to keep the booming weed industry company. No need to worry about the sex industry, that's been boom-booming for a very long time, lol!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Frankie baby said:

high price is not only the brewers fault....Taxes are crazy high...I got told 50% of the beer price is tax. I can't tell if it is true or not but I believe it is.

For half the price the Heineken (in Thailand brewed) and Singha would be OK

9 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Please, please, please... Thai beer's some of the worst in SE Asia, and with the current setup they have zero incentive to improve things. Let's see a booming craft beer industry to keep the booming weed industry company. No need to worry about the sex industry, that's been boom-booming for a very long time, lol!

Cheap and good beer....cheap weed and cheap prostitutes and the quality tourists will come (Quality is metered by Thai government in Baht spent per day).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoePai said:

Bring it on - the quicker the better - let's brew some decent beer in Thailand for once and kick out the rubbish (Leo Chang Singha etc) 

As few here posted already ! best beer ???? l enjoyed > Beer Lao  ???? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JoePai said:

Bring it on - the quicker the better - let's brew some decent beer in Thailand for once and kick out the rubbish (Leo Chang Singha etc) 

I actually don't drink beer, only Heineken o.o, but agree with you that those 3 are not decent.