Thai MP-elect aims to break £11bn alcohol duopoly with progressive bill

webfact

Sounds like a personal vendetta and a self interest. He’s following in the footsteps of other Thai businessmen turning politicians to enhance their own interest via political means. 
PS not a big beer drinker and I think Thai beers are fine. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

The article seems to be all about the elephants in the room, the beer monopolies.  As it's labelled a 'progressive alcohol bill' would hope that they'll address imported wines and the egregious duties and taxes added on to the cost of goods which makes, must make, wine in Thailand the most ridiculously expensive bottles in the world.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

As for an above post talking about being a beer snob well I guess I'm one. I like good beer. I don't like cat's piss. There's no choice here without paying through the nose. Used to be able to get Coopers at Foodland but I haven't seen it for ages.

Only the fools think alcohol will be cheaper in Thailand.

Looks like we have a full house today.

Dream on boys. :stoner:

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

abolish monopolies and promote fair competition in all industries, such as alcoholic beverages

Nice words.  Unfortunately, let's all remember these are politicians speaking, so 90% of this is lies.  Just keep that in mind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A post promoting an alcohol brand has been removed.  Remember this forum rule:

42. You will not advertise, display, promote, review or endorse, directly or indirectly, the name or trademark of any alcoholic beverage. Such actions are potentially in contravention of Section 32 of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act (2008).

2 hours ago, realfunster said:

Don't know but I don't remember it being expensive when I see it in 7-11 or restaurants, pretty similar price to the Thai beers IIRC. 

Rare to see it in 7/11 68 baht a bottle for lao dark in Tops etc, tin 65 baht.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, quake said:

went to a new rural cafe in samut prakan a few weeks ago, they brew their own beer. Great IPA at 8% but 250 for about half a pint, cheaper in London!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure a good IPA can be made a competitive prices to the USA.  Labor should be lower but water quality sucks, where to import good hops from.  A good IPA needs close to a kg per barrel.  And where to get food barley?  And malted.  

Undrinkable beer in Thailand is a big problem with me.  Yes I found a place in Bangkok that sold some decent imports.  800 bath per bomber.  22 oz.    

8 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Love the idea but corruption being what it is in this country he has a tough road ahead - Best of luck !!!

Expect the new MF-led coalition to ruffle a few feathers regarding oligarchical traditions of underhanded bliss.....

Looking forward to the new era of a real working government that appeals and proceeds for the commons. 

Realizing that such a mindset is akin to dreamy ideals and imaginary visions of hope is almost moot.......but, what the hell. 

????????

1 hour ago, quake said:

I think it's more about selection. It would be great if the extortionate tax on imports is reduced but as it is I think a lot of us would like to see more micro breweries able to compete in a market without the nonsense needed now to do so. I think you may have missed the point somewhat.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, proton said:

went to a new rural cafe in samut prakan a few weeks ago, they brew their own beer. Great IPA at 8% but 250 for about half a pint, cheaper in London!

Yeap.

Sounds about right for Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

9 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I think it's more about selection. It would be great if the extortionate tax on imports is reduced but as it is I think a lot of us would like to see more micro breweries able to compete in a market without the nonsense needed now to do so. I think you may have missed the point somewhat.

Thank you for the laugh.

I said in previous post, a Varity of beers would be good.

what do you think a pint of you favorite brew will  cost at your local micro brewery. ?

100 baht ?  :stoner:

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, quake said:

Chang is very different than it was back in the day, and it was stronger, in the brown bottles.

Nothing wrong with Varity in beer to chose from,  I'm all for it.

But Beer snobs,  No thank you. they are a terrible bore to be around.

Thai low quality beer is no different from the low quality beer sold all round the world.

Beer snobs go home. :giggle:

The difference is that the low quality beer here is THE benchmark and oftentimes is all one can get, lest you sup on an overpriced out-of-date something 'real'. Sugary, homogenised overpriced crap, all of it. It's not about being a beer snob (anything is better in the region), so much as not having to perpetually pay into the coffers of the corrupt few, along with being ripped on tax. A beer snob is the hey-ho-pip-n-dandy type suppin on nothing but the finest Belgian... compare that with lovers of the Thai BIG three wife-beater-wearing beauts. ????

When a country as relatively rich and creative as Thailand cannot produce ONE interesting beer to rival pauper Laos, you know something is horribly amiss. I mean, F-a-doodle-do, it's enough to make a mother eat her young! Sincerely wish him all the best and these guys rip into this across-the-board corruption, forcing all the rich dinosaurs onto the streets, starting with the brewers. Yes please!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, quake said:

Thank you for the laugh.

I said in previous post, a Varity of beers would be good.

what do you think a pint of you favorite brew will  cost at your local micro brewery. ?

100 baht ?  :stoner:

Don't know. But if there's more competition and the micro breweries have less requirements placed upon them then maybe the cost of production will be reduced and prices prices might be reasonable. No need to be toxic. Have another Leo or Chang or Cheers and relax.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, daveAustin said:

When a country as relatively rich and creative as Thailand cannot produce ONE interesting beer to rival pauper Laos, you know something is horribly amiss.

Absolutely 100% correct. Beer Lao is pretty good. Not great but soooooo much better than the swill made here.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Don't know. But if there's more competition and the micro breweries have less requirements placed upon them then maybe the cost of production will be reduced and prices prices might be reasonable. No need to be toxic. Have another Leo or Chang or Cheers and relax.

Mate,

Where do you think the raw ingredients come from

for your beer snob brews ? :stoner:

I'm not Toxic, I just know the truth.

No cheap beer for the beer snobs. 

Have another Leo or Chang or Cheers and relax.

I sure do,  large bottle number 4 Leo, coming to an end now.

Thank you Thailand for cheap 5% ok ish beer.

Good night to the pretentious beer snobs. from over the pond. 

or down under. :jap:

1 minute ago, quake said:

Mate,

do you drive a lada as well ? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, stoner said:

do you drive a lada as well ? 

No, a Honda city

Do you take drugs that make you soft in the head.

and impair your thinking. Duh  :stoner:

Edited by quake

20 minutes ago, quake said:

Mate,

I thought this topic was about beer. Where does Leo fit in? ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, LatPhrao said:

The article seems to be all about the elephants in the room, the beer monopolies.  As it's labelled a 'progressive alcohol bill' would hope that they'll address imported wines and the egregious duties and taxes added on to the cost of goods which makes, must make, wine in Thailand the most ridiculously expensive bottles in the world.

Or....even more relevant and important - freeing up the ever expanding Thai micro/craft beer industry. 

That would be a boom. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, quake said:

Mate,

I'm guessing here in Thailand the rice they use comes from here. Hops I think is from Germany. The hops is probably quality. You can put a beautiful rose on a turd but it's still a turd.

Edited by dinsdale

4 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Or....even more relevant and important - freeing up the ever expanding Thai micro/craft beer industry. 

That would be a boom. 

Has been in Australia. Don't know now but there must be thousands of labels in a population of 26 million. Business is booming.

• Like 1

I wish someone (a new MP?) would also take up the case for reducing the tax and import duties on wine, which has been mentioned before, but nothing seems to go any further than the discussion stage! 

As it stands, the price on (imported) wine is absurdly high, basically because the "powers that be" (The Big 2 or 3)  would rather we drank their beer rather than somebody else's product, (obviously!) so presumably they are putting pressure on the Government by implying withdrawal of their support (i.e money/tea money - whatever you care to call it!) 

Let's hope that members of any future Government enjoy a glass or two of vino, rather than cheap lager/beer or Sang Som sets!

• Like 1