Where have all the geckos gone?

3STTW

5 sad emojis in response to my cat eating a few lizards, what is wrong with these people ? That is what cats do, he killed quite a few rats too  are you also going to cry about that?  

No doubt these are the sort of people who have their cats declawed and  try to feed them vegan food !  

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, 3STTW said:

Interesting replies! I've always regarded geckos as useful friends outside the house. Yeah, they're a pest inside but they're not as bad a mice.

We had one feral cat which used to sh!t all over the yard but we haven't seen the arrogant f***er for a while now, but he had a taste for snails and birds, never bothered the geckos.

I was worried that we might have a pit viper or suchlike in the vicinity.

You would not believe how many snakes, scorpions and nasty centipedes  are living very close to your house, your worries are not unfounded

On 5/27/2023 at 11:04 AM, Bday Prang said:

5 sad emojis in response to my cat eating a few lizards, what is wrong with these people ? That is what cats do, he killed quite a few rats too  are you also going to cry about that?  

No doubt these are the sort of people who have their cats declawed and  try to feed them vegan food !  

Like I mentioned to another, lizards are necessary. yes, they crap inside, but it's easy to clean, and they keep the insect population in the house down. rats aren't necessary in and around houses. In the outdoors, they are food for many species, pollinate plants and eat garbage. I don't keep cats inside as I'm mildly allergic, but outside I wish I had them. The dogs around me kill cats, so I can't keep any. Cats and dogs keep snakes away and harmful insects, so they're good around the houses. When I did have cats inside, they weren't declawed and ate cat and people food, and no vegan.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2023 at 2:24 AM, Ombra said:

Mosquitoes have disappeared from my house. There was a time when the first thing I did each morning was to zap a few dozen in the kitchen, and mosquito repellant was often on the shopping list, but I haven't bought any in at least six months. Insects are endangered. I saw a solitary butterfly (or moth) a few days ago.

Yes. I have noticed less mosquitoes too. We are destroying all other species on this planet.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2023 at 5:04 AM, Bday Prang said:

Yeh.  When my dogs killed the neighbours kittens I also told them this is just what dogs do. 

I told them to keep their cats in their own house if they cared about them so much and don't let them get into our property. 

I am sure you would agree too if my dogs got your cat.  

Oh. BTW, cats are one of the worst invasive species and are responsible for many native small animal soecies going extinct or endangered.  But, hey, I guess that just what cats do right, and cat owners should not worry about it. 

• Sad 1

On 5/27/2023 at 5:04 AM, Bday Prang said:

Are you not aware that many species of small mammals and wild birds are endangered species and cats kill thousands every year? But hey ho! who gives a s h i t when we are destroying all other species on this planet at an alarming rate!

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Yeh.  When my dogs killed the neighbours kittens I also told them this is just what dogs do. 

I told them to keep their cats in their own house if they cared about them so much and don't let them get into our property. 

I am sure you would agree too if my dogs got your cat.  

Oh. BTW, cats are one of the worst invasive species and are responsible for many native small animal soecies going extinct or endangered.  But, hey, I guess that just what cats do right, and cat owners should not worry about it. 

Cats and Dogs do indeed kill other animals in fact it's fair to say that all carnivorous animals do  It used to be called nature when I was at school.

"that's what dogs do"?  well what else could you say, it's absolutely correct, although as a dog owner you are held somewhat responsible for its behaviour and that excuse would not  cut much Ice if  your dog  killed a kid would it? No matter who's land it happened on

If your dog killed my cat on your land,  there's nothing I could say about it, it is what it is , all part of nature

Cats are independent creatures and it's impossible to control what they do or where they go. Keeping a cat inside is nothing short of inhumane 

However if your dog ventured on to my land my dogs would probably kill it and if they didn't, rest assured I would. In the meantime the cat would have simply run away

To suggest that cats are responsible for the extinction of other species is absolutely ludicrous. and even if they were, well again it's just part of nature 

There is only one life form that hunts to extinction, I wonder if you can guess what it is ?

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Are you not aware that many species of small mammals and wild birds are endangered species and cats kill thousands every year? But hey ho! who gives a s h i t when we are destroying all other species on this planet at an alarming rate!

wild animals killing each other ?, it's called nature  get over yourself    As for Mankind?  well that's different matter I suggest you start your own thread

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

That is an idiotic and cruel thing to do... I hope you are joking and have not done this. 

Other birds can eat the poisoned food and also die. The dead bodies of the pigeons and birds will be eaten by other wild animals and maybe people pet cats and dogs. 

My dog died after eating a poisoned bird thar died in our garden.  

Please do not use this method to get rid of pigeons. 

I said apparently - what does that mean in your world?

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

wild animals killing each other ?, it's called nature  get over yourself    As for Mankind?  well that's different matter I suggest you start your own thread

Cats are not wild animals. WE have domesticated them and are keeping them unnecessarily now as pets when they do so much damage. As for mankind? We are the 'wild animal' that is killing all other fauna and flora, and, as we are so short sighted, we will kill ourselves too.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Yes. I have noticed less mosquitoes too. We are destroying all other species on this planet.

well I'm all for the extinction of mosquitos   looks like you don't agree,   you probably lament the end of the smallpox virus

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Cats are not wild animals. WE have domesticated them and are keeping them unnecessarily now as pets when they do so much damage. As for mankind? We are the 'wild animal' that is killing all other fauna and flora, and, as we are so short sighted, we will kill ourselves too.

"so much damage"       you are kidding  right?   

"As for mankind? We are the 'wild animal' that is killing all other fauna and flora,"   

So you are suggesting that  cats are not wild animals, and that we are       And what the cats don't destroy we will       Its a very interesting theory     Will the cats also kill themselves?

On 5/25/2023 at 6:57 AM, fredwiggy said:

The insect population is always too high in this country, and we need lizards. They're friends that serve a purpose.

No it isn't. The reason the geckos had nearly disappeard in the first 4 months of this year is due to not enough insect biomass to feed them - they starved to death. Now, since we've had some rain, they are slowly returning along with their food source - the insects.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Nothing natural about domesticated cats killing wildlife. In some parts of the planet their disruption of "nature" has resulted in the extinction of several species.

They are an unnatural predator that disrupts the balance nature put there by people who can't  see further than their own lap.

Domesticated animals tend to stay in the home (or close by) and wild animals stay in the wild and they dont often meet each other 

• Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Domesticated animals tend to stay in the home (or close by) and wild animals stay in the wild and they dont often meet each other 

Always rely on you fora totally inane and inaccurate comment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Always rely on you fora totally inane and inaccurate comment.

Are you claiming that domesticated cats often go deep into the wild jungle and wild animals go into domesticated areas ?

The mostly keep apart to their own areas .

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Are you claiming that domesticated cats often go deep into the wild jungle and wild animals go into domesticated areas ?

You really haven't a clue - have you? "deep into the wild jungle and wild animals go into domesticated areas"  do you seriously think the environment and ecosystems are divided like that?  Are you even aware of what this thread is about - or do you think geckos are "domesticated"? I doubt is you even know what domesticated means.

Edited by kwilco
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, kwilco said:

You really haven't a clue - have you? "deep into the wild jungle and wild animals go into domesticated areas"  do you seriously think the environment and ecosystems are divided like that?  Are you even aware of what this thread is about - or do you think geckos are "domesticated"? I doubt is you even know what domesticated means.

Geckos live in houses and so that makes them domesticated

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Your garden is full of wild animals.

That, and the local area over which the cats roam, is where domestic cats exterminate wild creatures numbering 10's of millions.

Australia is on the case.

2021:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/australias-cats-kill-two-billion-animals-annually-180977235/

"Feral cats are not the only problem: The parliamentary report also found that Australia’s almost 3.8 million pet cats kill up to 390 million animals every year."

2023:

https://www.coopsandcages.com.au/blog/cat-curfew/

"These new laws see pet owners facing up to $1,600 in fines if their cats stray and are caught by rangers. It is the beginning of rules for cats matching up with the rules for unleashed dogs and may eventually become a nation wide restriction."

Horrific damage being done to wildlife in UK by domestic cats......and everywhere else that "cat lovers" proliferate.

Nothing to do with the "jungle".

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Absolute, misinformed.........balderdash.

domesticated
adjective
adjective: domesticated
  1. (of an animal) tame and kept as a pet or on a farm.
    "domesticated dogs"

You don't deserve the courtesy of a rational argument.

Edited by Enoon

52 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You are so out of touch it is impossible to discuss anything with you. 

Just try and find one =reference tht says geckos are "domesticated"

So following your logic, spiders are domesticated, mosquitoes are domesticated snakes are domesticated, birds are domesticated termites are domesticated - you'd make a great farmer!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, kwilco said:

So following your logic, spiders are domesticated, mosquitoes are domesticated snakes are domesticated, birds are domesticated termites are domesticated - you'd make a great farmer!

Yes. If I were you I would not waste your time replying to this person. ????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

I am a city person and there are domesticated species that live with us in the city and wild species that live in the jungle

If you live in a jungle , you may have a different opinion to what is wild and what is domesticated 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Population increases worldwide make this happen. People come in contact with wild animals daily because of this, and cats and dogs also. I've been hunting a couple of miles from any roads and seen dogs who were owned (collars on) running around looking for deer and other animals. People in California and Colorado, among other states, are attacked yearly by bears and mountain lions that are living closer to humans because of over development, infringing on their home ranges. Cats leave houses and kill birds, lizards, rabbits and the like, in the woods near homes all the time. The only places where this doesn't happen are wilderness areas, which with that development, are shrinking daily.