Should we apply to a few schools simultaneously?

6 minutes ago, STD Warehouse said:

which school?

the one above my question, on Sri Ayuthaya

The only one I can think of there is Amnuay Silpa, and I wouldnt describe that as International in the expat sense.

Edited by sungod
  • Thumbs Up 1

My thinking is if they enter a school now and it turns out to be the wrong choice or perhaps Bangkok is the wrong city to live in, we have time to move and select another school or location to live be in it in Thailand or overseas. But if I wait until my daughter is 11 years old and would start what we call secondary school in the UK, i dont want to move her after that, so would rather try now and have options then do this when she's is 11 years old.

29 minutes ago, STD Warehouse said:

My thinking is if they enter a school now and it turns out to be the wrong choice or perhaps Bangkok is the wrong city to live in, we have time to move and select another school or location to live be in it in Thailand or overseas. But if I wait until my daughter is 11 years old and would start what we call secondary school in the UK, i dont want to move her after that, so would rather try now and have options then do this when she's is 11 years old.

First is decide what curriculum you want for your children and which schools offer it. The UK Cambridge curriculum that ends with A levels or BTEC or the more US style, not sure of their exams and certificates? 

We opted for the UK Cambridge seeing as I'm from the UK and my daughter will probably end up in Uni over there.

This being in Phuket though, not Bangkok. There are a few good Schools here but the top ones certainly have a waiting list.

Take your time, its a big decision and a huge investment, but worth every penny for your children.

Oh one last point. Check which Universities their graduates go to, a very good indicator of education levels attained. The school should also be able to provide you with A level results of prior students. I know you children are young but time soon goes.

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

First is decide what curriculum you want for your children and which schools offer it. The UK Cambridge curriculum that ends with A levels or BTEC or the more US style, not sure of their exams and certificates? 

We opted for the UK Cambridge seeing as I'm from the UK and my daughter will probably end up in Uni over there.

This being in Phuket though, not Bangkok. There are a few good Schools here but the top ones certainly have a waiting list.

Take your time, its a big decision and a huge investment, but worth every penny for your children.

Oh one last point. Check which Universities their graduates go to, a very good indicator of education levels attained. The school should also be able to provide you with A level results for students. I know you children are young but time soon goes.

Im from the UK so Im okay with the Cambridge system leading to GSCE and A-level, but im also okay with the IB system as ive heard good things about it.

Interesting to know the Phuket schools have waiting lists.

In terms of universities the ones i checked had people going to both UK and US universities which is the preffered locations.

Thank you for your advice

2 hours ago, STD Warehouse said:

I know what you mean, I know people who had very expensive educations and turn out to do nothing in life and others with much lower cost education that achieve highly in later life.

However, as the cost is not an issue, im leaning towards trying to get them into a so called "top" school.

"I know what you mean, I know people who had very expensive educations and turn out to do nothing in life and others with much lower cost education that achieve highly in later life."

Here's a real example: eldest son given opportunity for excellent and expensive education, studied engineering, died at 30yo from drug overdose.

Second son never forgeven for being male. Totally ignored by parents and big brother.

Left school as soon as legally possible (15) got a job delivering car parts on his bicycle. 15 years later he owned a huge and very profitable car parts manufacturing and marketing company across many cities.

At about 45 retired and gave 50% of the company to about 10 very loyal employees. The other 50% to his 2 daughters and 1 son.

Became a serious community organizer/contributor providing big funds for disadvantaged kids and for sport. 

Edited by scorecard

On 5/25/2023 at 2:51 PM, STD Warehouse said:

Thanks, so it seems there are different opinions here, that perhaps all wont just hand out an admission.

I do worry about this, my daughter is only 6 and although she's British, her written English is very basic and her reading level also low.

She will still be ahead of most Thai students.  At 6 they are looking at math and basics.

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2023 at 12:47 PM, marin said:

Patana is the exception to the rule. The only International school here with more international students than Thai. You do have to test and do well. Plus you need to have some English speaking ability even as a 3 or 6 year old. 

Entirely uncertain but NIST probably has more farang kids than Thai. Better school as well

• Sad 1

Patana is a non-profit school... Best in Thailand IMO.

#1: Bangkok Patana

#2: Harrow Bangkok

#3: NIST

#4: Bangkok Prep

Don't worry about tests... its not like they are 'entrance exams' - it more like the teacher talks with your child and assess their 'ability' (i.e. ensuring the child does not have particular special needs). 

Not all the schools will - 'bite your arm off' as per 'Will B Good's comment.

You may well find your children on a waiting list, particularly for a School such as Bangkok Patana who carefully manages the 'spread' of nationalities of Students - its been traditionally harder for 100% Thai children to secure places at these schools. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2023 at 3:55 PM, sungod said:

the one above my question, on Sri Ayuthaya

The only one I can think of there is Amnuay Silpa, and I wouldnt describe that as International in the expat sense.

IMO - this would be the best Bilingual School in Bangkok. 

It's not an international School.

On 5/25/2023 at 12:47 PM, Will B Good said:
On 5/25/2023 at 12:44 PM, STD Warehouse said:

If they are desperate, why apply to them all as surely they will all offer a place?

You can only visit and inspect the school and its culture if you are applying.

Prospective parents can visit any International School they wish, before applying. 

We were able to visit numerous schools before submitting application forms and fees etc.