International Schools - Fees

Fees for Ascot are very reasonable. I think it's a hidden gem

But didn't you say in an earlier post you negotiated a discount?

Discounts for siblings are standard at many schools.However if a school starts offering discounts in a non transparent way this can be a dangerous and slippery slope because it inevitably leaks out and gives the impression of desperation.Also parents who are struggling to afford the stated fees will be understandably resentful if other parents are negotiating a cheaper deal.

Reduced fees for highly talented children is a different matter

Schools want different types of students for different reasons. Some want blue eyed blondes to make them appear to be more like an international school for example. If you have something you think the school wants then give it a shot. I went to many schools and asked for discounts, some said yes off the bat, some took lengthy negotiations, some gave a flat no. It depends on circumstances. What you've described above is nonsense sorry to say. Leaks out how?? Such and such school is crap cos they give discounts??? Doesn't happen. Expats gossip about everything from maids/childcare to supermarkets/holiday resorts to removalists etc and it remains just that, gossip.

I'm not so sure.There is no objection to schools offering reduced fees to pupils for particular reasons of which academic, artistic or sporting prowess are the most obvious.You are sadly probably right that in Bangkok some international schools might want to have a higher proportion of "blue eyes" as a marketing strategy (by definition the second tier ones insecure about their "international" status:the first tier ones wouldn't need to).However my main point is that it is extremely unfair if some parents struggle to come up with school fees if other parents in a similar position receive discounts.As earlier mentioned I am not referring to children with special talents or sibling discounts - these are perfectly normal.As long as there is clear explanation and a transparent process there is really no problem.You are in my view completely mistaken if you think this kind of discrimination -where it exists - can be hidden or written off as gossip.Indeed I am aware of two families that have avoided schools for thjis reason (and to be fair also because the ownership/financial management aspect wasn't very clear).The market for international schools in Bangkok is very competitive and if there is no parental confidence in the transparency of fees being charged, that will eventually rebound to the detriment of the school concerned.Education shouldn't be like buying a used car where one has to negotiate with some spivs for the best price.

Fees for Ascot are very reasonable. I think it's a hidden gem

But didn't you say in an earlier post you negotiated a discount?

Discounts for siblings are standard at many schools.However if a school starts offering discounts in a non transparent way this can be a dangerous and slippery slope because it inevitably leaks out and gives the impression of desperation.Also parents who are struggling to afford the stated fees will be understandably resentful if other parents are negotiating a cheaper deal.

Reduced fees for highly talented children is a different matter

Schools want different types of students for different reasons. Some want blue eyed blondes to make them appear to be more like an international school for example. If you have something you think the school wants then give it a shot. I went to many schools and asked for discounts, some said yes off the bat, some took lengthy negotiations, some gave a flat no. It depends on circumstances. What you've described above is nonsense sorry to say. Leaks out how?? Such and such school is crap cos they give discounts??? Doesn't happen. Expats gossip about everything from maids/childcare to supermarkets/holiday resorts to removalists etc and it remains just that, gossip.

I'm not so sure.There is no objection to schools offering reduced fees to pupils for particular reasons of which academic, artistic or sporting prowess are the most obvious.You are sadly probably right that in Bangkok some international schools might want to have a higher proportion of "blue eyes" as a marketing strategy (by definition the second tier ones insecure about their "international" status:the first tier ones wouldn't need to).However my main point is that it is extremely unfair if some parents struggle to come up with school fees if other parents in a similar position receive discounts.As earlier mentioned I am not referring to children with special talents or sibling discounts - these are perfectly normal.As long as there is clear explanation and a transparent process there is really no problem.You are in my view completely mistaken if you think this kind of discrimination -where it exists - can be hidden or written off as gossip.Indeed I am aware of two families that have avoided schools for thjis reason (and to be fair also because the ownership/financial management aspect wasn't very clear).The market for international schools in Bangkok is very competitive and if there is no parental confidence in the transparency of fees being charged, that will eventually rebound to the detriment of the school concerned.Education shouldn't be like buying a used car where one has to negotiate with some spivs for the best price.

I talked to parents who's kids are at most of the major schools and all of them were offered a discount from the tariff. Don't ask, you don't get.

I talked to parents who's kids are at most of the major schools and all of them were offered a discount from the tariff. Don't ask, you don't get.

Ever hear of NIST offering this type of discount by chance?

My son has finish just his high school with excellent results (a government school with a English program) he has the dutch nationality so have to learn also the Thai Language.

We paid 27.500 baht, semester . Now he goes to the University to study business in English.

Here are the cost 15.000 baht per semester.

We are living in Mahasarakham the school city of the Issan

We have to say we are very satisfied

Good to hear positive feedback from govt schools.

Just wondering if your son had considered any international universities, i.e outside Thailand, and if so any feedback?

After graduation from university is he considering living/ working outside Thailand?

If my kids are going to study at University in Thailand and choose to live in Thailand, then a Thai education with English program is an option, particularly if the school is good.

My reservations with a Thai school are getting them into an overseas university later if they want to. Or after a Thai university, acceptance of the degree outside Thailand. So am always interested in anyexperiences, particularly successes.

Fletch :)

My son has finish just his high school with excellent results (a government school with a English program) he has the dutch nationality so have to learn also the Thai Language.

We paid 27.500 baht, semester . Now he goes to the University to study business in English.

Just wondering if your son had considered any international universities, i.e outside Thailand, and if so any feedback?

After graduation from university is he considering living/ working outside Thailand?

If my kids are going to study at University in Thailand and choose to live in Thailand, then a Thai education with English program is an option, particularly if the school is good.

My reservations with a Thai school are getting them into an overseas university later if they want to. Or after a Thai university, acceptance of the degree outside Thailand. So am always interested in anyexperiences, particularly successes.

Fletch smile.png

I've taught many years in an English program, and we are up to our 8th batch of high school graduates. Most of the better students go to International Programs in universities here, and we've had three students get into medicine (one with the Joint program with Nottingham university). A number go to Chula, Mahidol, and the lower performing students got into Thammasart (SIIT). Not sure how the latter will graduate though. A number of students now work overseas (one is an airline hostess for Emirates and another is a top chef in hollywood. So their destinations are quite diverse - It;s all up to the student and how much effort they are willing to put into their work.

As a side note, degrees here are recognised overseas. My wife did her Bachelors and masters here and then did her PhD in Australia. I'm pretty sure any degree done in english here at a reputable university will be recognised overseas.

Fletch smile.png

It was possible to study in the Netherlands, only his personal idea is to stay with his father as long as possible smile.png , graduation is still far away, I will send him , (after 2 years,) to Australia

to go on a working holiday ( this is for 1 year and can be extended with 1 year more) (after he still can finish his study)

It will be a good experience and own his own money.

With a business degree they will accept him in many country.s , not forget he speaks 3 languages fluently and still study Chinese and Japanese.

As far as I know and have seen the Mahasarakham University has a good reputation.

• Like 1

Can't say that I have.

Can't say that I have.

Thanks.

Can't say that I have.

Thanks.

But I don't know anyone who's kids go to NIST

But I don't know anyone who's kids go to NIST

You might soon. I'm about to try that trick and see what they say.

You have to offer something. Support from your company, or some other "bribe"

Bugger, I'm self employed so there goes that idea. Main line of thinking was they'd have a guaranteed student for the next 10 years....

• 1 month later...

Fletch smile.png

I've taught many years in an English program, and we are up to our 8th batch of high school graduates. Most of the better students go to International Programs in universities here, and we've had three students get into medicine (one with the Joint program with Nottingham university). A number go to Chula, Mahidol, and the lower performing students got into Thammasart (SIIT). Not sure how the latter will graduate though. A number of students now work overseas (one is an airline hostess for Emirates and another is a top chef in hollywood. So their destinations are quite diverse - It;s all up to the student and how much effort they are willing to put into their work.

As a side note, degrees here are recognised overseas. My wife did her Bachelors and masters here and then did her PhD in Australia. I'm pretty sure any degree done in english here at a reputable university will be recognised overseas.

The Thais that I've met through work (i.e. working in the US or Japan for a US multinational) who have Thai Bachelor degrees have all had Masters degrees from the US.

i.e. It seems to be a valid option - to get a Thai degree initially, then study abroad.

Stated the other way. I haven't met any Thais employed outside of Thailand in an office environment where they only have a Thai-issued degree.

• 3 weeks later...

International schools, I guess you get what you pay for. But they seem to be charging well over the odds when compared with other services in Thailand. You could almost send your kids home to board at a decent private school for the same money.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

My daughter is currently enrolled in Little Dragons International School, located on Rama 5 in Nonthaburi. We live on the border of BKK and Nonthaburi, close to Wongsawang Intersection.

For nursery school, it's just over 200k a year, and we are very happy with LDIS so far. However, I want to explore our options for K-12. I have another child who is 1 year old at the moment. I'm able to afford about 600k a year for both kids (300k each), and would like to explore our options.

Saint John in Lad Prao is a reasonable distance for us, and within our price range. Are there any other recommended schools that you know of? Likewise, any schools in this area that we should avoid? I can't afford the likes of ISB unless some miracle occurs. 600k a year is the limit for now.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that there is a combination of reasons, obviously it is to stop people having a term here and a term there but also (certainly at my daughters) it is to pay for new buildings etc.

School fees are bloody expensive, but you can't put a price on either your childs happiness or future can you?

Yes, actually you can. And that is all the more true when you place it in relative terms, such as "is my daughter's happiness or future going to have to be paid for by mortgaging my son's happiness or future?". Further, your question begs the issue as to the direct connection between fees and future happiness. If there were such a direct connection, I would guess that every parent would be begging their child's school to take ever greater amounts of money, regardless of the actual tuition. Why would you stop at what the school asks? Why not give them double or triple so that you could double or triple your daughter's happiness? Or in fact is such a connection really very tenuous and perhaps even an illusion?

• 4 weeks later...

International schools here are very affordable. I am on a long extended vacation with two kids in pre-school International school. In my home country I would have to pay at least $1000/mo per kid but here I pay peanuts. School hours 8 am -3:30 pm Mon-Fri. I get my free time to do my tourist things during the day and they get to meet kids and have playmates from all over the world -Mon-Fri. Works perfect! Life is good.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Does anyone have any information about the St. Stephen's International School? I am moving to Thailand beginning of next year. I am thinking of either Ascot or St Stephen's. The latter would be probably better location wise since my office is in Lak Si. Any info would be appreciated. My daughter (thai/swiss) is currently attending Sec 1 in Singapore in a local school.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by koerner65

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, all. Very excited to say that we sold our house in CA and, after about 6 weeks of regional travel, will be settling down in Bangkok sometime in Nov/Dec. My wife and I are both educators and will begin the job hunt shortly after our arrival. Our primary concern is where to send our 6-year-old to school. We are aware of the plethora of excellent international school options, but are a bit concerned about the typical price range of $20-30k USD per year. In a perfect world, my wife or I (or both) would get hired at an excellent international school and our son's tuition would be waived. In the meantime, while we are pursuing employment, we do not want his education to suffer and would welcome any recommendations or referrals. Our most likely residence would be somewhere in the Upper Sukhumvit area, but we do have flexibility. Thank you all in advance for your time! Looking forward to meeting you all!

Hello, all. Very excited to say that we sold our house in CA and, after about 6 weeks of regional travel, will be settling down in Bangkok sometime in Nov/Dec. My wife and I are both educators and will begin the job hunt shortly after our arrival. Our primary concern is where to send our 6-year-old to school. We are aware of the plethora of excellent international school options, but are a bit concerned about the typical price range of $20-30k USD per year. In a perfect world, my wife or I (or both) would get hired at an excellent international school and our son's tuition would be waived. In the meantime, while we are pursuing employment, we do not want his education to suffer and would welcome any recommendations or referrals. Our most likely residence would be somewhere in the Upper Sukhumvit area, but we do have flexibility. Thank you all in advance for your time! Looking forward to meeting you all!

In that case, I'd look to get a job before you arrive, at one of the international school fairs held throughout the world. Otherwise, you are going to find it more difficult.

In that case, I'd look to get a job before you arrive, at one of the international school fairs held throughout the world. Otherwise, you are going to find it more difficult.

Samran is right, you're going about this totally the wrong way. Get a job before you get here. Local hires often lose some of the benefits that overseas hires get, such as housing allowance and flights back to your home country. Not getting these will add up to a considerable loss of income.

• Like 1

The local Government funded Kindergarten is excellent.

Free for Thai children and nominal fees for others. Structured play, painting , dance and other activities. Gentle "fun" oriented introduction to written Thai and the English language .

Lunch provided and the day runs from 08:30 to 15:30

An excellent introduction to "school" and an ideal environment for children to learn to socialise

Samran is right, you're going about this totally the wrong way. Get a job before you get here. Local hires often lose some of the benefits that overseas hires get, such as housing allowance and flights back to your home country. Not getting these will add up to a considerable loss of income.

Seconded.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi Does anyone have any information about the St. Stephen's International School? I am

moving to Thailand beginning of next year. I am thinking of either Ascot or St Stephen's. The latter would be probably better location wise since my office is in Lak Si. Any info would be appreciated. My daughter (thai/swiss) is currently attending Sec 1 in Singapore in a local school. ThanksSent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I just enrolled my kid into nursery at ascot. School fees is average, just slightly under 100k a term. The size of ascot is small compared to any regular secondary school in singapore.

Had the opportunity to chat with a few students while i was on campus visit. The impression i received from these kids are quite good, they mentioned some really positive things about the teachers and the school itself.

Last time i drove past, they are undergoing some renovations during the term break.

The local Government funded Kindergarten is excellent.

Free for Thai children and nominal fees for others. Structured play, painting , dance and other activities. Gentle "fun" oriented introduction to written Thai and the English language .

Lunch provided and the day runs from 08:30 to 15:30

An excellent introduction to "school" and an ideal environment for children to learn to socialise

I visited several local Kindergartens in Thailand and found them very poor to say the least. Then again it depends on what one finds acceptable. Things that I looked for were.The list could go on and on...

1. Safe learning and playing environment

2. Clean learning and playing environment

3. Bilingual Teachers

4. Teacher/student class size ratio and number of teacher assistants in classroom

5. British or American curriculum

6. Book den for reading time

7. Meals served

8. Length of school day

9. School facilities

Last but not least: The amount of time that children spent sitting in the sun while listening to loud propaganda and music played on a daily basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by Newguy70

• 7 months later...