Isaan hard to like after 3 months

bignok

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

Melbourne is nice as I traveled a lot to Satellite Beach for work. However most of my time was at the relatives in Ft Lauderdale. I could never live in Florida. The only things I enjoyed going there for many times were Disney, cruises to the Bahamas, and of course all the boobies one could see on any given day at South Beach.

Living in Isaan (Surin area) sucks n my opinion. Boring and not much to do. Hard to find any western items (for home cooking) unless you order online and have it delivered.

I lived in Chiang Mai for many years and enjoyed it there but didn't like the traffic or tourist areas. I considered it as miniature Bangkok. The food that can be found there is excellent in my opinion and I do miss the friends I made there, both Thai and foreigner.

My favorite place and where  plan to move to in the near future is Nan.

Never been to Nan. I would like to have a look. Northern food and scenary are 2 pluses.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, 2009 said:

The food in the northeast is definitely better than Central Thailand. Nice barbequed meats, spicy salad, and sticky rice. Beats the ass off eating pad krapao every day, lol.

Meat everywhere. Papaya sucks, rice is boring.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Didn't get out much then while you were here? There's a whole different social scene once you escape 'Soi Sampan'.

But first, you have to try and escape.

Udon has a decent bar restaurant called the Brasserie. Its ok town. Nothing to compare to Old City in Chiang Mai or the food.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would not even consider Isaan itself for a second, my wife not either, even she is from there. Just family visits and no more. 

We did try various places from the north to the south in the recent years, helped to escape during covid too and have beach life for a year or so, my son is now going to school soon so we decided for once and all to move back to Chiang Mai, truck comes next week.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Benjamarachutit School; Nakhorn Sri Thammarat, listed as 12th best high school in Thailand

Benjamarachutit School; Ubol Ratchathani, listed as 15th best high school in Thailand

Khon Kaen Wittayayon School; Khon Kaen, listed as 28th best high school in Thailand

Ratchasima Witthayalai; Nakhorn Ratchasima, listed as 31st best high school in Thailand

Satit Demonstration School of Khon Kaen University; Khon Kaen, listed as 32nd best high school in Thailand

Kaen Nakhon Wittayalai School; Khon Kaen, listed as 45th best high school in Thailand

Suranaree School; Nakhorn Ratchasima, listed as 46th best high school in Thailand

Khon Kaen university is listed as 6th best university in Thailand

Suranaree University of Technology is listed as 18th best university in Thailand

Korat Rajabhat university listed as 42nd best university in Thailand

Udon Thani Rajabhat university listed 43rd best university in Thailand

Sisaket Rajabhat university listed as 50th best university in Thailand

????

Gonna need to see where you got that information 

I know some of these schools from personal experience living in Isaan and teaching in the region (I even taught at one of the schools you mentioned).

I have also taught at a couple of elite top-tier schools in Bangkok too. I can see the difference easily from being part of these schools throughout my career and looking over their exam scores

A few years ago, I actually looked through a list of schools ranked by their ONET scores and some of the ones you mentioned came around the 200 rank.

The Benchama schools you mention definitely don't rank where you say they do. ????

That would put them above some of the top schools in Bangkok that literally draw thousands of students nationwide to sit exams competing fiercely for just a couple hundred seats.

The Benchama schools are good on a provincial level, not a national level. 

Among the top 20 schools in Thailand the average ONET score is around 90%.

Some of the regional schools you mention are closer to 50%, though they may have an advanced program with a few students that score well.

Khon Kaen is decent for education though; it's a decent uni town. I'll give you that.

I can't believe you mentioned the Rajabhats, ????

Edited by 2009
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

Benjamarachutit School; Nakhorn Sri Thammarat, listed as 12th best high school in Thailand

Benjamarachutit School; Ubol Ratchathani, listed as 15th best high school in Thailand

Khon Kaen Wittayayon School; Khon Kaen, listed as 28th best high school in Thailand

Ratchasima Witthayalai; Nakhorn Ratchasima, listed as 31st best high school in Thailand

Satit Demonstration School of Khon Kaen University; Khon Kaen, listed as 32nd best high school in Thailand

Kaen Nakhon Wittayalai School; Khon Kaen, listed as 45th best high school in Thailand

Suranaree School; Nakhorn Ratchasima, listed as 46th best high school in Thailand

Suranaree University of Technology is listed as 18th best university in Thailand

????

I skimmed the data again just now. 

Just one example: Benchama in Ubon ranked #106 in the country for their ONET exam score.

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

I live here and it is without doubt the a***e end of nowhere.

No point in driving anywhere.....everywhere is virtually identical......green as far as the eye can see and roads lined by ramshackle sheds.

No bars, no decent shops, no restaurants, no entertainment....other than banal music played at deafening volumes........I am developing my exit plans.........got to get out for my own sanity.

I see you are a big fan of Somtam land. Zab 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

If you looking for entertainment, there is very few places in Thailand I would live if at all. 

I do not see sex industry as entertainment, and being to old (55) chasing ladies at nightclubs There is not much left to call entertainment except nice restaurants and having a good decent social evening with friends.

The older I get, I stop looking back at what used to be fun, and enjoy daily life more for every day that past. 

Living in Isaan is great for me, and easy to get off, enjoy  a night or two out once and awhile before returning home. 

Some need to grow up ????

I agreed with that.

Although, I haven't stopped chasing tail yet, and there's plenty of it in Isaan anyway

Edited by 2009
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, chalawaan said:

If the visa was available, I would seriously consider a move to Savannakhet, and the missus could get one of those Thai border passes, and we'd be sweet. It's cheaper there, way better and cheaper beer, though I no longer drink alcohol much at all, and just enough sophistication for my tastes, I was amazed that the French colonist concepts like good bakery, and good coffee, persist almost 70 years on, and the old architecture is still there too.

It must have been amazing back in the day run by France, a best kept secret!

Very true! Lager isn't the best and is relatively expensive in Thailand. Coffee is poor and decent bread non-existent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

I live here and it is without doubt the a***e end of nowhere.

No point in driving anywhere.....everywhere is virtually identical......green as far as the eye can see and roads lined by ramshackle sheds.

No bars, no decent shops, no restaurants, no entertainment....other than banal music played at deafening volumes........I am developing my exit plans.........got to get out for my own sanity.

Originally I thought it was OK. Small town with everything I need within 1 km. Reliable water and electricity supply and fast fibre internet.  Unfortunately, as you say, no bars, cafes or restaurants as we know them. Nearest live entertainment is in nearby larger town (11 km so not too far). North East railway line passes through there too. I'm in two minds whether to stick it out or go for a change.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bignok said:

Thailand has loads of good coffee shops.

Must depend upon where you are? There are a few in my small town. We are always the only people there. They keep going so must get other customers. We have friends who are motor dealers and are also coffee distributors with a wrapping and postage franking machine. They have a coffee shop onsite. Pre-Covid they had a range of cakes in their fridge but not any longer. We go in whenever were are passing and, again, we are always the only customers. I've never tasted coffee in Thailand that compares with Portuguese cafes.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Not quite sure what that means.

Do we get bonus points on our last day if we avoided bars, nightclubs, agogos, etc.? Can we cash those points in somewhere for 'valuable prizes'?

Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, and the only thing that matters is if one enjoyed the interim. For some people that might be bars. It might be going through a large library of books. It could even be agogos. For the remainder of eternity it will make no difference how one spent this brief existence. Do whatever pleases you.

It was Somerset Maugham who said he had met many men who lived the straight and narrow, and at their end had regrets they hadn't let loose more, but Maugham claimed he never met anyone who had spent life sowing his wild oats who had any regrets at the end.

These bars are for adults not kids so I don't know what it means except to say act "old". 

When we die nothing matters. The earth don't care about your feelings or regrets.

1 minute ago, The Fugitive said:

Must depend upon where you are? There are a few in my small town. We are always the only people there. They keep going so must get other customers. We have friends who are motor dealers and are also coffee distributors with a wrapping and postage franking machine. They have a coffee shop onsite. Pre-Covid they had a range of cakes in their fridge but not any longer. We go in whenever were are passing and, again, we are always the only customers. I've never tasted coffee in Thailand that compares with Portuguese cafes.  

Most coffee beans used in the world come from 2 bean types. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Most coffee beans used in the world come from 2 bean types. 

That's interesting, didn't know that. A Portuguese cafe proprietor told me that their cafes use Italian coffee machines that apparently make all the difference.

5 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

????

These secondary schools pretty much nothing tbh. Khon Kaen which has a medical school even top M6 med school hopefulls use as safety school, even more so than CM ( certainly no less). Suranee would be a good option for a local student but it's nowhere close to Bangkok area unis

Best public secondary Isarn is said to be Benchama Maharat. No first person information on that.

Isarn ... Without digging in, buying land I don't see it appealing. Bangkok is convenient, anonymous, good jobs. I need a beach a few months a year and Isarn must be as hot as Hades

• Thanks 1