Isaan hard to like after 3 months

bignok

On 5/28/2023 at 7:09 AM, bignok said:

Nong Khai has potential but its not there. It needs a Central Mall. It needs some more temples. Some better hotels.

Udon is a downmarket version of Pattaya. Khon Kaen is a Isaan version of an attempt to be sophisticated. Korat is a poor man's Bangkok.

So you just travel in a straight line then?

On 5/27/2023 at 8:46 PM, CharlieH said:

One man's feast is another man's poison, you gotta do what's right for you. We are all different. ????

just find what makes you happy and be glad you did.

OPs been to the beach, Bangkok, Korat and Chiang Mai....eenie/meenie/miney/mo  ????

31 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I agree. When you say Pattaya, people think you must live halfway along Walking Street. I live a 20 minute drive towards Sattahip and it's stunning. Lovely countryside with golf courses, the beach is a five minute drive and not a girly bar in sight. The beauty of it is if you do fancy a bit of excitement, the city is just down the road.

Good recommendation! Plus, you are not far from Koh Samed (great IMHO) and, of course, Utapao airport.

• Thumbs Up 1

A post baiting another poster and then a response have been removed.

Personal attacks are unwarranted in the Forum.

9. You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages. You will respect other members and post in a civil manner. Personal attacks, insults or hate speech posted on the forum or sent by private message are not allowed.

On 5/28/2023 at 1:01 AM, Haveasay said:

The entertainment in Pattaya now mostly a gogo and that's sad. So many chasing sex money and the weather is stifling and it's lousy beer. The beach walk less cluttered but in repair again and roads detiorating or in repair or needing it. Welcome to wherever appeals.

I lived in Thailand from 1998-2018, I had also visited 3 times in 1985/86. Initially I was over at Soi Cowboy pretty much every night, but probably around 2005 I didn't really bother with it any more. I became quite cynical about that stuff. It was getting a bit too expensive, the girls weren't really into what they were doing anyway, and I didn't want to be hassled whilst drinking.

In the last 10 years that I lived there I hardly ever went to such places, but a wealthy friend was still visiting nightly, as if he had first got off the plane on his first visit to Thailand 17 years earlier.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Reginald Prewster said:

21 Years I was living in Pattaya and never could get a hang to it.

Yes Pattaya was convenient:

Due to my worldwide travelling while working abroad, it needs not more than one and a half hour and you are at the airport.

Lots of Farang food for sure..

But that's all for me... 

About 9 years ago, I was full of it and started hating this city so much, that we rented a house in isaan for a test living. (Also near Khon Kaen.)

Born and raised up countryside I felt immediately what I did miss in Pattaya.

Now surrounded by Isaan People, having a Housemaid who can almost all Farang Dishes I wish to eat I changed even more.

But after getting used to isaan food I prefer her food she makes.. 

What I do not miss at all are the many foreigners, who just come over the rounds and "talking big one" There are really too many of them in Pattaya.

I moved now completely to Isaan and somehow Pattaya is forgotten for me.

I miss the laughing people around me, our farm and animals, our trees and our lake, my river, my BBQ island... 

It was a delightening step back to silence and country life. 

I understand that others might think just the opposite but lucky we are all different... 

Out of the 14 places I have visited Khon Kaen and Nong Khai seem the best options.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, whereyougo said:

Lots of expats trapped after building a house and pretend it's amazing 

Not saying that never happens, because it could happen anywhere, but saying "lots" of expats are trapped after building a house is an exaggeration.

Most everyone I've ever met who was dissatisfied either with their marriage or the rural lifestyle has found a way to leave. They either return home (perhaps having held onto real estate back home), or moved back to more familiar haunts within Thailand.

Your comment infers that many expats have sunk their life savings into building a house. Again, not saying that never happens, but most are cautious and financially savvy enough to avoid doing this.

Furthermore, the claim that someone would be financially trapped after building a house doesn't stand up to scrutiny because chances are anyone who built a house did so because they married, and if they decided to leave they would most likely divorce as well. With divorce, they would no longer have to support their wife and any Thai dependents, which often results in a significant lowering of their overhead, and would provide a financial cushion to relocate.

My "eureka" moment came when I realized that whenever I considered relocating somewhere else, the goal was always to recreate the same lifestyle which I enjoy here in Thailand, i.e. quiet country living in a village which offered a sense of community.

Frankly, sounds a little bit like sour grapes for you to suggest that anyone professing to be happy in rural Thailand must be either feigning their contentment or self-deluded. Or perhaps it's just a failure of imagination on your part.

Edited by Gecko123

51 minutes ago, whereyougo said:

Lots of expats trapped after building a house and pretend it's amazing 

House.thumb.jpg.4df6303a590e73ab8cef743d4e1cb9b4.jpg

This is my monthly retreat in Huay Yot Trang from my base here in Pattaya.....built 9 years ago for the princely sum of 1.3 million baht ( 25k UK pounds at the time) my Gf and myself visit monthly staying 10/14 days.....surrounded by rubber trees it is a peaceful break from sin city,no bars nearest 7/11 6 kms away nice folk down here and not another farang anywhere nearby.....I enjoy the break but look forward to returning to Pattaya.....trapped....nah never as I will never spend money here that I cannot afford to walk away from if needs be.....when I first thought about having it built I explained to my GF that it was for her when my toes eventually curl up but I could never life there permanently as it was too quiet for me....she understands this and if at any time she decides to want to stay there I will wish her well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1