Isaan hard to like after 3 months

bignok

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Pattaya but I'd be happy without all the shopping malls

Full of bars, restaurants, malls, entertainment, cinemas, shops, fuel stations. Very much like the west.

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

Full of bars, restaurants, malls, entertainment, cinemas, shops, fuel stations. Very much like the west.

Thats why we loved Ao Nang when we first discovered the destination, nothing, not even in Krabi there was anything of branded malls or coffe shops, just how it was, very Thai style. Now completely ruined among every other tourist destination. 

I remember we first got internet connection at Tonsai  Beach Ao Nang, how things started to change slowly, and when smart phones arrived, the social structure had dramatically changed among those who lived there permanent or on long stays. 

Now I have one last destination that havent changed much the last 15 years, and hope it never change at all.

As well the last paradises down sout west, but people stay away because of the tense situation between muslim fractions and army, but still nice places and very friendly locals as well food. The Islands is ruined as everything else down there to. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Thats why we loved Ao Nang when we first discovered the destination, nothing, not even in Krabi there was anything of branded malls or coffe shops, just how it was, very Thai style. Now completely ruined among every other tourist destination. 

I remember we first got internet connection at Tonsai  Beach Ao Nang, how things started to change slowly, and when smart phones arrived, the social structure had dramatically changed among those who lived there permanent or on long stays. 

Now I have one last destination that havent changed much the last 15 years, and hope it never change at all.

As well the last paradises down sout west, but people stay away because of the tense situation between muslim fractions and army, but still nice places and very friendly locals as well food. The Islands is ruined as everything else down there to. 

NST is very Thai. Lanta and Ao Nang ruined. Phattalung is like Thailand 40 years ago.

16 minutes ago, bignok said:

Shopping malls is something i never liked in the west so avoid now, but i appreciate some people wander round in these AC places all day

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Shopping malls is something i never liked in the west so avoid now, but i appreciate some people wander round in these AC places all day

Exercise with aircon. Hot outside. Plus food courts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Shopping in malls is something i did when i was 19, much better things to do, wasting your life and money in these places

One man’s waste is another man’s entertainment. Don’t be so selfishly subjective.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Shopping in malls is something i did when i was 19, much better things to do, wasting your life and money in these places

So you don't buy clothes or food then. Too busy living life.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bignok said:

So you don't buy clothes or food then. Too busy living life.

Most shopping online, food street food or home or restaurant, supermarket once a week. It's the wandering around a mall because you have nothing better is best avoided

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most shopping online, food street food or home or restaurant, supermarket once a week. It's the wandering around a mall because you have nothing better is best avoided

If you have lots of better things to do why post on here? Walking around a mall is far more healthy than sitting in bars getting drunk. 

• Confused 2
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Quite right, those people who want malls etc might as well stay in farangland 

i'd rather see a bunch of ma and pa shops dotted along beach road than air-conditioned malls.

get rid of the fast food joints.

you're walking along beach road anyway. if you spot sth you need, you just pop in. 

malls TRAP you to get you to buy more crap than you need. 

47 minutes ago, bignok said:

If you have lots of better things to do why post on here? Walking around a mall is far more healthy than sitting in bars getting drunk. 

i do loads of exercising, fit enough, I don't need extra thanks. Posting on here while doing other things usually

15 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Rubbish!

I can’t think of any Thai town that resembles anywhere I have been in the west.

Thai shopping malls are big shiny buildings, with lots of shops, franchise food outlets and a food court. Just like shopping malls in the west. Why does a charming town like Nong Khai need one? 

We have a house 10 k's north of Ubon where we grow 3 types of rice, have Thai fruit/Nut trees, have 8 hens laying eggs, 15 shophouses that we rent off of highway 2050 towards Trakarn. Spent 6 months there enjoying the family and 6 months in Orlando traveling from there throughout the US in our RV. We love Isaan, very easy to travel throughout Thailand, S.E. Asia and Europe for us. Suum cuique.”

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/28/2023 at 7:22 AM, 2009 said:

I am quite a fan of Isaan.

The scenery is nice for driving.

The larger cities have everything you need. 

Though it's more a place for retirees. Not a great place for families. No good work or education. Too many cross eyed hillbillies to worry about and the motorcycle culture is deadly.

The food in the northeast is definitely better than Central Thailand. Nice barbequed meats, spicy salad, and sticky rice. Beats the ass off eating pad krapao every day, lol.

I don't have much experience with northern food, but like the southern food a lot.

I like how cold n windy it gets out in Isaan in the cool season and the rainy season is wonderful out there, except the powercuts.

I could see myself going back one day.

The power cuts are a hassle if you don't have a backup plan they can be much worse than a hassle.  How people lived here without at least a big fan is amazing. 

I went with a a lifePo4 battery with an inverter so I can plug in electronics.  For 8,000 baht you can buy a complete system (1000 watts of capacity) with an inverter(solar setup-minus the panels ). Easy to charge with a charger but I hook up one 150 watt panel (panel).  Added benefit is my property is lit-up like a Christmas tree at night which is important in rural Isaan because of theft.  We are gone quite often.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dan747 said:

We have a house 10 k's north of Ubon where we grow 3 types of rice, have Thai fruit/Nut trees, have 8 hens laying eggs, 15 shophouses that we rent off of highway 2050 towards Trakarn. Spent 6 months there enjoying the family and 6 months in Orlando traveling from there throughout the US in our RV. We love Isaan, very easy to travel throughout Thailand, S.E. Asia and Europe for us. Suum cuique.”

I try not to compare my life to others.  I will say this, your setup would be ideal for me.  I have a wonderful life but am missing the RV and this has been my dream the last 5 years.  I was close but life threw some major obstacles in my path which I have been clearing the last 3 years.  Hope is eternal!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

So the locals won't have to drive or take the train to UdonThani?

That, and so people will support franchises rather than their local communities. Just like the ghastly west where local shops have all but ceased to exist. That's a good thing in your opinion?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

That, and so people will support franchises rather than their local communities. Just like the ghastly west where local shops have all but ceased to exist. That's a good thing in your opinion?

Gives people options.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Options don't always have to be a good thing. Quite often, they are created by people who don't have our best interests at heart. 

Load of nonsense. Small shops can rip you off as much as anyone. 

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

My opinion has nothing to do with it. The Central site location folks will have an area growth projection and decide whether the area can support a mall even if it takes 5 or 10 years to break even.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

My opinion has nothing to do with it. The Central site location folks will have an area growth projection and decide whether the area can support a mall even if it takes 5 or 10 years to break even.

You're missing the point. Will turning Isaan into a clone of the western world and destroying its traditions make it a better or worse place? Why do so many people want to turn Thailand into farangland?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

You're missing the point. Will turning Isaan into a clone of the western world and destroying its traditions make it a better or worse place? Why do so many people want to turn Thailand into farangland?

1 mall doesnt turn Isaan into the western world. They have malls in China. Thai malls have good food courts selling local food. Nothing like the west.

Edited by bignok
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

It seems like the Thais want it more than Farangs.  I prefer simple Isaan but do like western conveniences at times.  It seems to me you want the Thais to be more like you but they obviously enjoy malls, air condition, big cars...  Might be wrong but think you are being closed minded and not seeing Thailand for what it is today.  Thais aren't going to live the way you want them to live.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Load of nonsense. Small shops can rip you off as much as anyone. 

Less now that they have to compete with big chains.  I've actually returned things at small shops the last few years.  A decade ago they would have been baffled with a customer returning anything.  I knew very well in the early 2000's once I left the shop there was no possibility of ever returning the item.

• Confused 1