Internet Providers in Jomtien / Pattaya

I'm in the market for a new one.

My criteria are --

reliability

good service when there are problems

reasonable speed (don't have any kind of job need for the highest though)

able to download torrents / Kodi preferably without VPN (uh oh)

Cost

Cost is my lowest priority. 

Comments / suggestions are welcome

• Confused 1

I have 3BB and think it is great, 1gbps for 590 a month. Very few problems and fixed quickly when they occur. On another thread i did notice though someone mention TOT 300 mbps for 290 a month, if cost is the main issue.

• Thanks 1

So apparently 3bb is now AIS!

Of course TOT is now NT.

A delicate question, but has anyone had any problem with any specific provider if you download torrents?

What's the minimum speed to stream on a program like Stremio?

I assume any current service will do youtube OK.

Edited by Jingthing

I've used Sophon Broadband for over 10 years.  There office is on Pattaya Tai towards the Third Road end.

690 Baht for 20Mbps.  Rarely goes offline and then usually because some numpty has toppled a pole somewhere.

They are quick to answer the phone and can actually tell you why the system is down.  On two occasions (in 10 years) they were unable to resolve my outage issues and were at my house to check the router the same day.

On 5/30/2023 at 1:17 PM, Jingthing said:

But it is AIS now correct?

Your question confuses me.

3BB is 3BB.

AIS is AIS.

No merge no takeover.

Otherwise my mental state is critical.

Former ToT and CAT merged as NT.

Edited by KhunBENQ

7 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Your question confuses me.

3BB is 3BB.

AIS is AIS.

No merge no takeover.

Otherwise my mental state is critical.

Former ToT and CAT merged as NT.

Takeover.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/07/04/thailands-leading-network-provider-ais-announces-its-takeover-of-internet-company-3bb-at-32-4-billion-baht/

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

"expected to be completed in the first quarter of 2023"

That saves me ????

Not inked yet.

So we should hear soon.

Will they be stupid enough to erase the 3BB brand-name?

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, Gsxrnz said:

I've used Sophon Broadband for over 10 years.  There office is on Pattaya Tai towards the Third Road end.

690 Baht for 20Mbps.  Rarely goes offline and then usually because some numpty has toppled a pole somewhere.

They are quick to answer the phone and can actually tell you why the system is down.  On two occasions (in 10 years) they were unable to resolve my outage issues and were at my house to check the router the same day.

I have had Sophon TV for many many years on a coax cable, and to be honest am glad I went elsewhere for internet, as I am afraid I lose the Sophon far too often. I am well out of town to the north and usually someone knocks a pole down, nicks some cable, or lightening kills it.. along with the odd power outages Thy are quite good at response to problems though, just too many of them.

Edited by jacko45k

34 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

"expected to be completed in the first quarter of 2023"

That saves me ????

Not inked yet.

So we should hear soon.

Will they be stupid enough to erase the 3BB brand-name?

I would assume so.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Interesting.. i missed this.

I recently upgraded to 3BB Fiber. 1GB up 500 down. 747baht/month. Happy.

I also have an AIS package that gives me unlimited data on my phone at 10Mbs. Enough speed for downloading torrents. A neighbour has dispensed with in-home internet and just casts Netflix etc. to their television. The phone can also be setup as a hotspot for connecting to a laptop.

Easy peasy..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I have TOT 300 MPS down, B299 m.

It's OK, not a lot of outages though there are often slowdowns.  I was previously paying more than B700/m for 1GB down, decided to try 300down.  It's been sufficient for TV streaming, net surfing and mobile wifi.  No buffering when watching Netflix, though I do use SURFSHARK VPN so I can access the US Netflix and not the Thai version.

Downsides are very poor customer service, never ever a notification of a service problem, unlike 3BB.  Their website/mobile app is unusable.  One has to physically go to their central Pattaya offices to sign-up and renew. One must also pre-pay and there is a farang surcharge.  If you have a Thai partner, put it in their name.

If my condo allowed competing services, I'd drop TOT for 3BB in a heartbeat.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bobbin said:

I also have an AIS package that gives me unlimited data on my phone at 10Mbs. Enough speed for downloading torrents. A neighbour has dispensed with in-home internet and just casts Netflix etc. to their television. The phone can also be setup as a hotspot for connecting to a laptop.

I also use the AIS internet package of my mobile as an access point for the internet. The speed is good, and it works perfectly for watching Netflix, browsing the internet, downloading torrents and WFH.

• Thumbs Up 1

I switched from 3BB to TOT because 3BB does not put fiber in condos!

Top Service Only call 1888!
In 3 years almost no failures,except for construction work and their accidents!
Stable 1000/500 line even with VPS no problems!

Edited by Richard 2020
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 4:22 AM, bobbin said:

Interesting.. i missed this.

I recently upgraded to 3BB Fiber. 1GB up 500 down. 747baht/month. Happy.

Easy peasy..

How  much does that AIS package cost you ?  I only use my 749 baht/month 3BB package for watching YouTube videos, which often buffers due to I suspect toold cables/junction box,  and general surfing and pay a small amount for internet add on on my phone. I think I'd rather have an unlimited package on the phone if it could handle YouTube casting and do away with the 3BB.

10 hours ago, Richard 2020 said:

3BB put fibre in our condo (Pratamnak).  We have their cheapest fibre package at 300mbps download whIch was ฿290/month on promotion last year. There was a further 5% discount for paying one year in advance. Had it about 9 months are it seems very good.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, kinyara said:

How  much does that AIS package cost you ?  I only use my 749 baht/month 3BB package for watching YouTube videos, which often buffers due to I suspect toold cables/junction box,  and general surfing and pay a small amount for internet add on on my phone. I think I'd rather have an unlimited package on the phone if it could handle YouTube casting and do away with the 3BB.

About 200 Baht plus VAT/month..  214+

• Like 1

I have Trues cheapest internet package 5-6 hundred a month....It has all the power I need....The T,V part of the package is great if you like watching info-comercials in Thai and Thai soap Operas.......In other words it sucks...

19 hours ago, redwood1 said:

I have Trues cheapest internet package 5-6 hundred a month....It has all the power I need....The T,V part of the package is great if you like watching info-comercials in Thai and Thai soap Operas.......In other words it sucks...

Keeps my Mrs quiet........

I find my True package a fair deal at 1Gb/s & 500 Mb/s, the said TV package of 72 channels, 18 HD, and a free SIM with 150 minutes I never use.... (they just want me to switch to them)....850 baht. 

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 11:06 AM, Richard 2020 said:

Top Service Only call 1888!
In 3 years almost no failures,except for construction work and their accidents!
Stable 1000/500 line even with VPS no problems!

3BB put fibre in my condo but i had to pay for the cable to the 5th floor. Might be expensive if you live on the 30th floor.

People appear to be unaware, when it comes to internet in condos, most of the time it comes down to which company ran cables into the building during construction. Most condo blocks have one provider and that's it, there is no choice.

Even if you do live somewhere with a choice of provider, they are all the same, same speeds same prices etc.

If something is slow downloading or streaming, 99% of the time that's the sender or the broader internet outside of Thailand.

On 5/30/2023 at 7:14 AM, Henryford said:

I have 3BB and think it is great, 1gbps for 590 a month. Very few problems and fixed quickly when they occur. On another thread i did notice though someone mention TOT 300 mbps for 290 a month, if cost is the main issue.

I doubt that you will experience any difference between the 1 Gbps and the 300 Mbps. You are simply wasting money. Okay, if you have many users like a company or a hotel then this will make a difference. Otherwise a complete overkill.

I had 3BB VDSL for 631 a month (no other easy option here at my condo complex). You get speeds about 60 down. Now I have a Thunder SIM with unlimited speed and data and a SIM router. 999 Baht a year (83.25 a month) and get download speeds of up to 150 Mbps. And I can use it outside my home too. I wasted a lot of money with my 3BB VDSL. Now, such a SIM is not for everyone a good idea (depends on the devices and VERY MUCH on the location). But look what speeds you really need and compare prices. Helps to keep a healthy competition alive. And you don't throw your money away.

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Thanks 1