Internet Providers in Jomtien / Pattaya

2 hours ago, NextG said:

All of this is a waste of time, until you actually test for speed from the

available networks. Once you have found the best for your location, at that point you can select a modem. Anything else would be pure guesswork. 
You haven’t even posted results from your current SIM. 
So to save everyone else’s time, name your phone and run the tests. 

Samsung A71 4g

On 6/1/2023 at 8:02 AM, Gsxrnz said:

I've used Sophon Broadband for over 10 years.  There office is on Pattaya Tai towards the Third Road end.

690 Baht for 20Mbps.  Rarely goes offline and then usually because some numpty has toppled a pole somewhere.

They are quick to answer the phone and can actually tell you why the system is down.  On two occasions (in 10 years) they were unable to resolve my outage issues and were at my house to check the router the same day.

B690 3BB  1GB  download speed, they installed fibre to my router in Pratumnak, brilliant service, new customers have to pay 1 year up front

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Samsung A71 4g

In terms of connectivity, the Galaxy A71 has Wi-Fi ac, Bluetooth 5.0 LE, A-GPS, and NFC. The phone has a Category 15 LTE modem with 3x carrier aggregation, and the global variant has the following LTE bands: 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/20/28/38/40/41/66.

https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-a71-review

This means that you’ll likely get higher speeds when using your phone, as opposed to a cheap router. Though not necessarily. 
First stop is to see how DTAC performs at your place. DTAC offers the highest capped speed plan at 30Mbps, so it makes sense to include them. Thunder is a good offer, but it’s 199 baht for a test SIM with a month duration. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NextG said:

Low end 4G routers to consider, include the D-Link DWR-M920 and the TP-Link TL-MR100 V2

The D-Link has more LAN interfaces. 

The D-Link sounds like a no brainer to buy?

Apparently it will take any sim?

Why not just buy that and then do some testing with different SIM providers?

On 6/6/2023 at 3:06 PM, NextG said:

In terms of connectivity, the Galaxy A71 has Wi-Fi ac, Bluetooth 5.0 LE, A-GPS, and NFC. The phone has a Category 15 LTE modem with 3x carrier aggregation, and the global variant has the following LTE bands: 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/20/28/38/40/41/66.

https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-a71-review

This means that you’ll likely get higher speeds when using your phone, as opposed to a cheap router. Though not necessarily. 
First stop is to see how DTAC performs at your place. DTAC offers the highest capped speed plan at 30Mbps, so it makes sense to include them. Thunder is a good offer, but it’s 199 baht for a test SIM with a month duration. 

OK,

as suggested I'm looking to buy some Sims to test.

DTAC and Thunder.

But looking on Lazada I'm very confused as to what to select.

I understand a testing Sim would be cheaper than a one year plan.

Of course I'm looking for the highest speeds possible (understanding that they may not be realized at my location) and UNLIMITED data.

Many SIM card offers changed and are not available anymore or much more expensive since my tests not so long ago.

The Thunder still has the same price. But again no phone calls and your device needs to be able to use Band 40. You have to look for it at Shopee and not Lazada. Shopee is an official distribution channel of NT. Or you go to their office. But before you can go to their office you have to apply for it online. I don't want to write everything again so please look at the link below. Use the link next to the avatar and not the one underneath it. 

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

OK,

DTAC and Thunder.

Of course I'm looking for the highest speeds possible (understanding that they may not be realized at my location) and UNLIMITED data.

Sorry, the posting before is for you. Forgot to quote. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

OK,

DTAC and Thunder.

Does nothing get you out of your pit?

The suggestion was to go to the mall to get one of each in one fell swoop. 

If you are somehow bedridden, you can order a SIM for 9 baht plus postage costs; https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dtac-24-2mbps-4mbps-8mbps15mbps-20mbps-30mbps-dtac-wifi-i2975561177-s15218584578.html

https://shopee.co.th/-เน็ตไม่อั้น-1-เดือน-NT-wireless-net-Thunder-199-i.235326805.4962275992

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NextG said:

Does nothing get you out of your pit?

The suggestion was to go to the mall to get one of each in one fell swoop. 

If you are somehow bedridden, you can order a SIM for 9 baht plus postage costs; https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dtac-24-2mbps-4mbps-8mbps15mbps-20mbps-30mbps-dtac-wifi-i2975561177-s15218584578.html

https://shopee.co.th/-เน็ตไม่อั้น-1-เดือน-NT-wireless-net-Thunder-199-i.235326805.4962275992

Thanks.

I could go to the mall but I don't understand exactly what to buy.

You're assuming way too much about what I understand about this.

I'm learning but there's a curve.

4 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Many SIM card offers changed and are not available anymore or much more expensive since my tests not so long ago.

The Thunder still has the same price. But again no phone calls and your device needs to be able to use Band 40. You have to look for it at Shopee and not Lazada. Shopee is an official distribution channel of NT. Or you go to their office. But before you can go to their office you have to apply for it online. I don't want to write everything again so please look at the link below. Use the link next to the avatar and not the one underneath it. 

Thanks for the info.

I'm on a high floor in a condo.

Am I screwed?

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks.

I could go to the mall but I don't understand exactly what to buy.

You're assuming way too much about what I understand about this.

I'm learning but there's a curve.

New SIM; 50 baht each. One Truemove H and one DTAC. That’s it. You love to over-complicate everything. So a simple instruction turns into a million questions…

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks for the info.

I'm on a high floor in a condo.

Am I screwed?

You have to test that. The problem with high floors is not Thunder specific. This problem can occur with any SIM, since the antennas usually point downwards. The Thunder primarily uses the Dtac network. NT (TOT and CAT) leased Band 40 capacity used by the Thunder from Dtac.

Central Festival will have both service centres, as do Big C Extra. 
AIS not necessary since you already have a SIM and anyway they no longer officially sell unlimited data packs. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NextG said:

New SIM; 50 baht each. One Truemove H and one DTAC. That’s it. You love to over-complicate everything. So a simple instruction turns into a million questions…

Please try to understand that I just don’t understand basic stuff that you seem to assume everyone knows.

Like your suggestion to buy those Sims. 

That makes no sense to me! Don't the Sims need to be associated to a plan to test the speed performance?

If you think I'm an idiot it doesn't bother me at all.

I know what I know. This stuff I don't.

8 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

You have to test that. The problem with high floors is not Thunder specific. This problem can occur with any SIM, since the antennas usually point downwards. The Thunder primarily uses the Dtac network. NT (TOT and CAT) leased Band 40 capacity used by the Thunder from Dtac.

Actually it’s TOT’s 3 blocks of 2300 MHz. DTAC partnered with them in 2017, for eight years. 

14 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Do you think it's worth testing Thunder at all as I do live on a high floor?

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Please try to understand that I just don’t understand basic stuff that you seem to assume everyone knows.

Like your suggestion to buy those Sims. 

That makes no sense to me! Don't the Sims need to be associated to a plan to test the speed performance?

If you think I'm an idiot it doesn't bother me at all.

I know what I know. This stuff I don't.

But you are bothering me, as in order to help you, I have to go into every little detail. It’s both annoying and irritating. So try to not write again until you have actually purchased the SIM. See if you can do that.  I doubt it…

Go to the mall, enter the network service centre, ask for a new SIM. Pay your 50 baht. If you cannot do that without asking any more questions, someone else will have to help you. 

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

We could make a poll to answer this question ????????. To know it for sure you only can try it.

If I remember correctly you get 500 MB and 7 days to test it before you activate it. But 500 MB doesn't allow extensive testing. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I have a 30Mb dtac unlimited sim. I was recently looking for a condo and tried connection speeds on different floors of the same building. After the 5th floor the speed dramatically decreased. After 7 or 8 it would be difficult to get enough to stream videos.

i guess I could  test these assumptions analytically, through experimentation and a “scientific method” and come up with some graphs and charts.  Maybe this scientific method could be extended to other fields of learning: the natural sciences, art, architecture, navigation. Perhaps I could lead the way to a new age, an age of rebirth, a Renaissance! ... Naaaaaahhh!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, NextG said:

But you are bothering me, as in order to help you, I have to go into every little detail. It’s both annoying and irritating. So try to not write again until you have actually purchased the SIM. See if you can do that.  I doubt it…

Go to the mall, enter the network service centre, ask for a new SIM. Pay your 50 baht. If you cannot do that without asking any more questions, someone else will have to help you. 

OK.

I hear you.

I'm annoying you.

But again from my POV I really haven't been intentionally trying to add complications.

I guess I understand why you think that.

Rather you give short answers assuming that I have a basic knowledge base which I don't have at least yet.

So because of that I just haven't understood some of your answers.

Edited by Jingthing

To anyone who can answer.

Referring to the Laxada link:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dtac-24-2mbps-4mbps-8mbps15mbps-20mbps-30mbps-dtac-wifi-i2975561177-s15218584578.html

I said before I hear buy Sims and I ask don't the Sims need to be associated with a speed / plan to test properly?

So I click on the Lazada link and there are 9 choices!

For example there are two True 100 Mbps Sims and two DTAC 100 Mbps.

As there are two of each, what's the difference? How to choose?

Selecting the 100s is correct or not?

To see all the available 9 options click on the Lazada link above and click BUY.

Edited by Jingthing

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

What speed?

30 Mbps. There's 2 ways to do this, firstly you can go to a DTAC shop and pay the full price. Secondly you can buy it online using Lazada etc where you will buy it cheaper.There are quite a few different SIM cards, it's up to you how many Mbps you require, of course the more Mbps the more you pay. I've used mine in Bangkok, Pattaya and even when I visit my inlaws at their farm 40 kms from Korat and it's never failed me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NONG CHOK said:

30 Mbps. There's 2 ways to do this, firstly you can go to a DTAC shop and pay the full price. Secondly you can buy it online using Lazada etc where you will buy it cheaper.There are quite a few different SIM cards, it's up to you how many Mbps you require, of course the more Mbps the more you pay. I've used mine in Bangkok, Pattaya and even when I visit my inlaws at their farm 40 kms from Korat and it's never failed me.

Thanks.

I wasn't even aware that 100 Mps was available. I thought about 30 was the cap. But based on that Lazada link above 100 is. How much more would 100 cost over 30?

Would 30 be good enough if it tested well for my needs normal stuff Plus torrents?

As stated before I still don't know SPECIFICALLY which Sims to buy for

my tests.

Edited by Jingthing

36 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thanks.

I wasn't even aware that 100 Mps was available. I thought about 30 was the cap. But based on that Lazada link above 100 is. How much more would 100 cost over 30?

Would 30 be good enough if it tested well 

As stated before I still don't know SPECIFICALLY which Sims to buy fir my tests.

You have to read this more carefully ????. There are SIMs with limited speed and unlimited data. And there are SIMs with unlimited (or high) speed and with limited data. I didn't check them all. Perhaps there is a completely unlimited speed and data version like the Thunder. 

Unfortunately, there are no longer any offers that I was able to buy.  For example, not too long ago I could buy a 30 Mbps DTAC with unlimited data for a month for about 200 - see picture. I bought the monthly version because I was testing True, AIS, Dtac, the Thunder and an NT 8 Mbps SIM at my location with my devices. 

SmartSelect_20230609-100659_Lazada.jpg

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Thanks 1