Impatient Thai People

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Strange how different people have different perceptions. Most I encounter are so far laid back they're practically horizontal.

Well, until they are behind the wheel.  Then suddenly they are either in a hurry or have no idea at all where they are going.  :laugh:

15 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Interesting. Because after 14 years of living in rural Thailand I've yet to meet a Thai person with anything that even resembles what I would consider a high level of patience. In fact I've long suspected that their patience levels don't develop after they are 10 years old.

Lack of patience is also one of the major reasons so many of them die on the road each year. 

Running red lights and not waiting at U-turns are just a couple of examples of chronic impatience.

“I've long suspected that their patience levels don't develop after they are 10 years old.”

This is the simple explanation, 10 yr olds in adult bodies ?

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, marin said:

Exact opposite for me. Never seen such slow walkers. Seems to me the only thing they do quickly is driving a car.

My observance too. Bang on correct. Typically, Thais are not in a hurry unless riding a motorcycle or driving. Won't cut queues either, unlike Chinese when in Thailand.

Edited by soi3eddie

All in a rush? No.

I can see why you think that but not all.

I think "extreme" would be better description of what you have noticed but that's still a gross generalisation.

Either extremely in a rush and just can't stand still or stop at a red light.

Extremely fast.

Driving annoyingly extremely slow.

Extreme reactions to minor things.

Extremely apathetic.

Extremely overboard with rules, regulations, admin.

Extremely rude.

Extremely polite.

Extremely greedy.

Like every population there's different types of people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

All in a rush? No.

I think "extreme" would be better description of what you have noticed but that's still a gross generalisation.

Extremely fast.

Extremely apathetic.

Extremely rude.

Extremely polite.

Extremely greedy.

Yeah, I will go for that as an additional descriptor. Or, instability. A kind of childish emotional instability of mood and behavior.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

I generally like the people here, but see them as being slow and possibly unmotivated in certain situations. 

Too many small things they seem to not care about, which translates into bigger issues. Many would find it difficult to keep up in modern western countries. 

37 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I generally like the people here, but see them as being slow and possibly unmotivated in certain situations. 

Too many small things they seem to not care about, which translates into bigger issues. Many would find it difficult to keep up in modern western countries. 

I can’t see many Thais being able to function at all in another country or under any heavy challenges. It seems like they would be overwhelmed and just return home.

Maybe that’s why they are not big on international travel. It would be like sending a kid on a gap year trip during high school. They could do it under heavy supervision but it would need to be all planned out in advance and would not last very long.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, marin said:

Exact opposite for me. Never seen such slow walkers. Seems to me the only thing they do quickly is driving a car.

Agreed. Their driving shows a reluctance to stop or slow. Like the Zen Archer, all they see is their destination, nothing else between them and it.

2 hours ago, sikishrory said:

All in a rush? No.

Extremely fast.

Extremely apathetic.

Extremely rude.

Extremely polite.

Extremely greedy.

Yes you are right. Land of extremes.

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Maybe that’s why they are not big on international travel. It

Lack of funds. Western nations are 3x more expensive. Plus Thais mostly like spicy food and cannot handle cold.

Thais have far more patience than farangs on average except for roads. It is culture. On road do whatever, in person lots of khrups and khas.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, nikmar said:

i wish my wife would be in a bit more of a rush sometimes. 2 hrs wandering tesco lotus is no fun!!

My lady is the same . Shopping to some ladies is a hobby to be enjoyed . I can shop with a shopping list for a weeks supplies and be in and out of Mako in 30 minutes . My lady over 1 hour and often the reason is a distraction or being too laid back . Here is another example . Not long ago we were in the car at a small town that we were not familiar with looking for a shop . I told my lady to ask a woman on the pavement for directions . My lady got out of the car , walked over to the woman and talked for over 5 minutes to her and then came back to the car . OK darling I said , so where is the shop ? My lady replied , oh the woman did not know . So wtf were you talking about for 5 minutes ? She said " we were talking about shopping at Big C "  . I had a similar feeling that John Cleese had with Manuel in Faulty Towers .

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, bignok said:

Or India. Indians visit 4 cities in a week, 5 daily attractions.

How a lot of my travels with my Thai relatives have been like. I like to experience and try to understand my surroundings, while the “ gang” seem anxious to get to the next “selfie” opportunity to be able to say “ look where I’ve been!” Exception: one group went snow boarding in Japan and had a great time. As a one time avid skier I was a bit disappointed that I can’t anymore.

My wife has said that she hesitates to include me because “ you slow, and everybody worry for you.”

Well, three strokes and a few MIs: guilty as charged. Bummer because 

I really want to experience as much as I can.

Guessing you're in a big city, op? Have you any Thai friends? Been coming 'n going for 25 years and, while there are impatient folks everywhere (and driving aside), for me Thai folk are the polar opposite. In general, the most easy-going, laidback people one could wish to meet.

20 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Strange how different people have different perceptions. Most I encounter are so far laid back they're practically horizontal.

Never a rush until they start to drive a car or scooter

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Maybe that’s why they are not big on international travel.

If you are a normal, poor or middle class working Thai person, do you have any idea of the difficulty in getting a visa to visit someplace like the USA? Near impossible. 

33 minutes ago, bignok said:

Women talk for 2 hours and say nothing

That reminds me of a guy who was talking to his mates and told them that his wife was divorcing him . Why ? asked his pals , the guy said because she said I never listen to what she has to say , or something like that .

• Haha 2