Impatient Thai People

36 minutes ago, marin said:

Exact opposite for me. Never seen such slow walkers. Seems to me the only thing they do quickly is driving a car.

yes between two steps I can read a book...boring walking behind such people.

On the car it is also only some...there are lots of people who drive very slow. On the country side it happened that I overtook motorbikes with the road bicycle and I am not doing much more than 30km/h

• Love It 1

57 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Why are people so rushed or distracted all the time? It’s like they never relax. Is it cultural?

I find the opposite. Farangs all in a hurry. Farang road rage is terrible. The middle finger is so common in the west. Never got one in Thailand.

You must come from a small US town. Try New York for laid back.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

slowest people on the planet, I get frustrated walking behind, or getting served in a shop, or waiting for some aunty to realize she has to pay at the supermarket and only get her wallet out of her bag at the end of the transaction delaying the process.

I was on a lovely island in Malaysia.....Everything Thailand in 50% speed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, h90 said:

yes between two steps I can read a book...boring walking behind such people.

On the car it is also only some...there are lots of people who drive very slow. On the country side it happened that I overtook motorbikes with the road bicycle and I am not doing much more than 30km/h

The Thai trekking guides walk fast. Go on a trek. They even carry your bag.

30 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Interesting. Because after 14 years of living in rural Thailand I've yet to meet a Thai person with anything that even resembles what I would consider a high level of patience. In fact I've long suspected that their patience levels don't develop after they are 10 years old.

Lack of patience is also one of the major reasons so many of them die on the road each year. 

Running red lights and not waiting at U-turns are just a couple of examples of chronic impatience.

How many people do you know?

• Confused 3

quote: JimTripper

[I have noticed that Thai people always seem to be in a rush. Another term may be distracted by things or inpatient. This goes for the city of course, but also less populated areas. It seems much worse then the USA where I am from.]

Come here and stay some time in the Pang Mapha Valley .... and You will change your mind.

Many times when my wife goes shopping in the village, she doesn't return within half an hour.  She is talking with the ladies in the (street-)shops, sometimes drinking a (natural Thai) Jaegermeister together in a street shop  and talking a lot together. I like her mannor and don't mind  that they are talking together, maybe sometimes abaout village "news".

She needs it, because we live a little bit remote in the mountain. We can trust each other; result: no problem. To be happy and not fighting for every sh:t is is a very relaxing and happy live style over so many, many years.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Women in shops in Australia have eyes in the back of their head. When they see the hunter killer lone male shopper coming down the aisle, they'll stop, look at things, even pick them up and put them back, it happens to me a lot, but anyway.

I think what the OP may be talking about is the Thai habit of entering a place where customers are being served and immediately engaging with the staff about what they want, usually then waiting their turn to be served, although queue behaviour here might not always be orderly

14 minutes ago, puck2 said:

quote: JimTripper

[I have noticed that Thai people always seem to be in a rush. Another term may be distracted by things or inpatient. This goes for the city of course, but also less populated areas. It seems much worse then the USA where I am from.]

Come here and stay some time in the Pang Mapha Valley .... and You will change your mind.

Many times when my wife goes shopping in the village, she doesn't return within half an hour.  She is talking with the ladies in the (street-)shops, sometimes drinking a (natural Thai) Jaegermeister together in a street shop  and talking a lot together. I like her mannor and don't mind  that they are talking together, maybe sometimes abaout village "news".

She needs it, because we live a little bit remote in the mountain. We can trust each other; result: no problem. To be happy and not fighting for every sh:t is is a very relaxing and happy live style over so many, many years.

I’m not talking about that type of impatience where people linger. I’m talking about being mentally distracted and inpatient.

For example, chatting or gossiping for hours and sitting somewhere, but going quickly from subject to subject or not being able to discuss anything in depth or in a meaningful interesting way. Or lingering somewhere, but bouncing from activity to activity in a superficial way (or shopping at the tesco for hours, but not getting what you need, just tossing whatever into the basket and not remembering about what you came to get specifically because you’re too distracted mentally).

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Strange how different people have different perceptions. Most I encounter are so far laid back they're practically horizontal.

I am mostly w/country people and that is exactly what I see... very laid back.

• Like 1