Wise v Deemoney

Been using Wise for a number of years and never a problem but I seem to be reading quite regularly that some are having problems with Wise. 
No intention of changing unless I do get a problem but is  Deemoney as good/or bad, any experiences with both. Should add I have no reason/intention to transfer money out of Thailand so that aspect of Deemoney is of no interest to me. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, poppysdad said:

Been using Wise for a number of years and never a problem but I seem to be reading quite regularly that some are having problems with Wise. 

Problems, what problems are those?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Problems, what problems are those?

I have started having problems with Wise. Their 2 step authentication is pain in the A. I change my phone number a number of times in a year because I visit different countries and have new local number. Every time I change countries they want me send a photo of me holding my passport. The photo is clear, no glare, complete in all respects to their specifications, but they always have an excuse for rejecting the photos and make me send at least 4 or more photos to change my phone number for the 2 step authentication. Last time I sent a photo that was 30 seconds old but they said it was a photo that was previously sent.

Next issue is that the limits set on the card are far too high. They don't allow the limits to be set to what ever the user wants.

My Wise transfers from the US using ACH (rather than a debit card) are routinely taking about 3-5 days. They used to be much faster. It's not really an issue for me since I'm simply replenishing money in my Thai bank account, but it could be if you need the money immediately. 

Probably due to the competition from other online transfer companies, I have found that Western Union rates are now competitive. They used to be much more expensive. ACH transfers with Western Union have always been immediate. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have been using wise for many years now since they were recommended to me by a guy at my local bureau de change in the Uk,and never ever had a

problem with them.The fees are reasonable enough,the only thing I don't understand,is it seems to take 3-5 days for larger amounts,but it arrives in my Thai bank in literally under 10 seconds for smaller amounts.

If it's only transferring into Thailand you require,you would be wise to stick with wise.????

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I have started having problems with Wise. Their 2 step authentication is pain in the A. I change my phone number a number of times in a year because I visit different countries and have new local number. Every time I change countries they want me send a photo of me holding my passport. The photo is clear, no glare, complete in all respects to their specifications, but they always have an excuse for rejecting the photos and make me send at least 4 or more photos to change my phone number for the 2 step authentication. Last time I sent a photo that was 30 seconds old but they said it was a photo that was previously sent.

Next issue is that the limits set on the card are far too high. They don't allow the limits to be set to what ever the user wants.

I've used Wise for many years also. I use finger print to login. No SMS required.

12 hours ago, Stocky said:

As said above Dee Money move money out of Thailand not in.

The main alternatives to Wise (depending on where you're moving money from) are, in no particular order:

• XE Money Transfer
  • Revolut
  • OFX
  • Currencies Direct
  • MoneyGram
  • CurrencyFair
  • WorldRemit

There are others like Western Union, and no doubt more I've never heard of.

For the transfers I make to Thailand from either Singapore or the UK Wise is currently cheapest.

It's the same old problem with every one of these. Unavailable in Thailand. But no doubt available if implemented in the UK. I tried them all as an alternative to Wise when Wise blocked my small online payment from Thailand to an Indian pharmacy in India.

16 minutes ago, phitsanulokjohn said:

the only thing I don't understand,is it seems to take 3-5 days for larger amounts

due to restrictions within Thailand, only 3 banks can accept large sums (>50K THB) easily, Bangkok Bank, SCB and I think K-Bank.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Are you referring to Wise bank card use or bank to bank transfers?

3 hours ago, DFPhuket said:

My Wise transfers from the US using ACH (rather than a debit card) are routinely taking about 3-5 days. They used to be much faster. It's not really an issue for me since I'm simply replenishing money in my Thai bank account, but it could be if you need the money immediately. 

Probably due to the competition from other online transfer companies, I have found that Western Union rates are now competitive. They used to be much more expensive. ACH transfers with Western Union have always been immediate. 

Our American cousins have long complained about the time it takes for inward transfers to reach Wise, but that I'm afraid is completely beyond their control.

From the UK it's possible to transfer from a UK bank account to a Thai bank account in less than 5 minutes.

It would take quite some persuading to get me to switch away from Wise.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Our American cousins have long complained about the time it takes for inward transfers to reach Wise, but that I'm afraid is completely beyond their control.

From the UK it's possible to transfer from a UK bank account to a Thai bank account in less than 5 minutes.

It would take quite some persuading to get me to switch away from Wise.

I use Wise to transfer from my US bank account to my Bangkok Bank account. Typically it takes less than a minute to arrive. I've never had it be more than five.

I tend to transfer only US$1,000 at a time. Perhaps with larger amounts it's different.

• Like 1

I just used Wise to transfer US$2,500 from my US bank account to my SCB account and this time it only took 5 minutes. I usually make the transfer while I'm home in Thailand, and as I posted earlier, it routinely takes a few days.

I am currently in the US and I'm wondering if today's speedy transfer is due to Wise tracking IP addresses. Perhaps it slows downs transfers if you're making the transfer while outside the US? I'm just speculating. But on March 31, while in Thailand, I made a US$2,000 transfer using the same banks and it took 5 days (3 business days). 

17 hours ago, Seppius said:

The way we transfer money is changing fast, soon it will be done via the blockchain, companies leading the way like Ripple/xrp, it will be very fast

It's very fast currently.  Lots of posts of Wise transfers arriving in seconds.

38 minutes ago, treetops said:

It's very fast currently.  Lots of posts of Wise transfers arriving in seconds.

I know that, but I am talking about actual bank transfers, changing from Swift

2 minutes ago, Seppius said:

I know that, but I am talking about actual bank transfers, changing from Swift

Faster Payment System in the UK been around since 2008 and is almost instantaneous.  Other countries have similar setups.

41 minutes ago, Seppius said:

The way we bank, transfer money is changing very soon, whether we like or not, look up CBCD

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/central-bank-digital-currency-cbdc.asp

We're there in parts already, but that doeesn't mean your original statement which I responded to is valid.

20 hours ago, Seppius said:

The way we transfer money is changing fast, soon it will be done via the blockchain, companies leading the way like Ripple/xrp, it will be very fast

On 5/30/2023 at 2:07 PM, norbra said:

I have not had any problems with Wise in the 5 years I have been using them on a monthly basis

Like 99% of others across the world

The 1% here on Asean and across other worldwide forums are red flagged for a myriad of reasons hence transfers take longer as checks required

Simple as that

Edited to add.....As in all these types of situations you only ever hear the gripes and not the 1000's of satisfied customers where monies arrive in seconds

Edited by Chivas

On 5/30/2023 at 5:49 PM, Chicksaw said:

I would appreciate a tight security regime. I travel too and don't have any problems. I access Wise only on the web though and keep my Thai phone/Sim active wherever I am so that I can get Wise's OTP.

I suspect if you've got their app on a bunch of different phones with different numbers then that makes them paranoid.

lol what OTP  !!

Despite all my transfers arriving in seconds down the years (bar one) I've never had to make use of one time passwords

Seriously what are you guys doing !!

Wise have not even got a number for me

Is it because you're messing around on phones rather than using the full website (not you personally) ??

Edited by Chivas
  • Thumbs Up 1