Trump vows to end birthright citizenship for children of unauthorized immigrants if he wins in 2024

Scott

Silhouette of a refugees family with children Silhouette of a refugees family with children immigrant children stock pictures, royalty-free photos & images

Former President Donald Trump on Tuesday pledged to challenge a long-standing interpretation of the U.S. Constitution in an attempt to end birthright citizenship for children of unauthorized immigrants if he defeats President Biden in the 2024 election.

If he secures a second presidential term, Trump said he would issue an executive order during his first day back at the White House in January 2025 instructing the federal government to deny citizenship to children with parents who are not American citizens or legal permanent residents. 

Under a decades-long interpretation of the Constitution, children born on U.S. soil are automatically bestowed American citizenship, even if their parents are not themselves citizens or legally present in the country. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-birthright-citizenship-children-unauthorized-immigrants/

Cbs Png Logo - Free Transparent PNG Logos

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Credo said:

is more desirable because the US requires overseas income to be taxed if you are a citizen.   

Not true, according to ask the Chinese I speak to. Canada is too cold, and they go there if they can't get into the USA. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Why is it the left always wants to get personal? Where was the hysteria in my post. I simply reported info the OP neglected.

Me, personally I think it's criminal which is why these birther hotels were being rousted.

I don’t think that’s the group he’s interested in it’s more the poor immigrants he wants to deny + lots of Russians do the hotel birth visa and the russans are Donnie’s pals

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Not true, according to ask the Chinese I speak to. Canada is too cold, and they go there if they can't get into the USA. 

Well, I don't wish to get into an argument about who wants to go where, but 30% of Vancouver is Chinese for a starter.  The group of people I am referring to were the wealthy Hong Kongers who wanted a second passport as an insurance policy against China.  They largely went to Canada because they did not wish to pay US taxes.  They also did not wish to live in either the US or Canada beyond getting a passport.   

A few people from HK that I knew had their wives in Canada obtaining the passport while they remained in HK running their family business.  

• Like 2

Territorial birthright for citizenship is an issue that should be addressed, although due to the lack of substantial welfare it's not as big a problem for the US as it is for other countries like for example France, where "single" pregnant women would cross the unprotected green border into Guyana, give birth in a hospital there and then become eligible for welfare benefits while not working at all and cannot be deported because their children are French citizens.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

This would require a Constitutional Amendment.

First sentence of the 14th Amendment is:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

Requires a 2/3 majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate followed by a separate ratification by 3/4 of the States.

President has no role in this process. Never comes to him for signature and certainly cannot be done through an Executive Order.

So empty talk on his part.

I don't think Trump has much respect for the constitution, and it would appear that he has a Supreme Court that might not as well.

7 minutes ago, lextsy said:

My Aussie wife and I had our child here and we are not eligible to get our son a thai passport. Racism is real people...

Different countries. different laws.

The US constitutional provision for birthright citizenship is hardly universal. 

It makes sense for a country of immigrants or at least it made sense.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

Its not a law, seemingly 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So why the hate for one country and not the other countries law, Or does trump just trigger certain types of people?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

The constitution can be changed by the amendment process. The amendment process is very hard to do and can take decades. I seriously doubt there is the political will to start an amendment process over a rather tangential issue as birthright citizenship.

I get that this is just red meat campaign stuff for Trump's maga cult followers.

I doubt he's going to get many extra votes based on this issue.

• Like 2