Trump vows to end birthright citizenship for children of unauthorized immigrants if he wins in 2024

Scott

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Children born in the US are Americans, it says do in the Constitution.

You need to come to terms with this.

Once you have done you’ll grasp the fact Trump is spouting unconstitutional garbage.

Ask yourself why you are so willing to swallow it.

Are you not reading the replies? I ask because I have said repeatedly that such children are American citizens.  Also clearly said that I think Trump is wrong about this. We can move past these blockages and go on to solutions.  

Which are.......

5 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Are you not reading the replies? I ask because I have said repeatedly that such children are American citizens.  Also clearly said that I think Trump is wrong about this. We can move past these blockages and go on to solutions.  

Which are.......

Vote Democrat. 

Migrant crossings at the southern border are down. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Vote Democrat. 

Migrant crossings at the southern border are down. 

Down compared to last week, but not to the previous administration.  

Anyway, the question is what to do when a child is born (and a citizen) but the parents are not legal residents.  

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Out of date data.

Graph shows decades of data. Rose under Clinton to record levels. Fell a lot under Bush. Stayed low under Obama and Trump. Rose to record levels under Biden.

Lets deal in facts please.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2021/11/09/whats-happening-at-the-u-s-mexico-border-in-7-charts/

Edited by bignok
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Anyway, the question is what to do when a child is born (and a citizen) but the parents are not legal residents.  

Which is why the law is bad. Should be fixed. The Consitution should go to referendum every 20 years to update it and improve it.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

Trump isn’t addressing any of that.

He’s simply stating he would somehow override the Constitution to deny some children born in the US their Constitutional right to citizenship.

Non of this will happen, but it’s blood red meat for those who love a bit of cruelty to others to spice their day.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Trump isn’t addressing any of that.

He’s simply stating he would somehow override the Constitution to deny some children born in the US their Constitutional right to citizenship.

Non of this will happen, but it’s blood red meat for those who love a bit of cruelty to others to spice their day.

It is a vote grab. He does it a lot. Biden does it with climate talk. 

16 minutes ago, bignok said:

It is a vote grab. He does it a lot. Biden does it with climate talk. 

To be a vote grab it would have to appeal to people who would not already vote for Trump.

This latest unconstitutional non-starter will appeal to Trump’s dwindling base, it will not win over the moderate swing voters who decide elections.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Credo said:

It seems like only yesterday when he was telling us that he was going to end chain-migration.  How did that work out?   

Well apparently just fine for his old lady’s family lol ???? no surprise there trump is one of the biggest hypocrites to grace our little planet 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tug said:

Well apparently just fine for his old lady’s family lol ???? no surprise there trump is one of the biggest hypocrites to grace our little planet 

Trumps Wife entered the USA legally by airplane with a Visa , so no hypocrisy there 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, she worked modelling whilst on a tourist via , that's a different situation to not giving citizenship to illegal immigrants born in  USA

People born in the USA are automatically citizens under the constitution.

As per the article Melania may have done much worse than work illegally.

I'm not in a position to judge. My Eastern European grandparents teens at the time scammed their way into the US from a Cuban prison.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Trumps Wife entered the USA legally by airplane with a Visa , so no hypocrisy there 

Well gee how about all those folks at the birtherhotels? Anyway old Donne won’t have a chance to try it he’s not going to be president again 

15 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Since the child is automatically a citizen, illegal parents should be given a chance for citizenship through a system similar to the standard green card process. They should be required to speak English (or at least learning it) and tested on American culture and history. Any criminal activity immediately disbars them from applying. They should be in meaningful employment (or at least able to get a good job once they pass) and not allowed to take any government aid for a period of time (say 5 years but longer if it's preferable). They are not allowed to invite relatives etc into the country except for other children who may have been left behind in their home country (easily proven with a DNA test). Families should not be split up. 

The vast majority of illegal immigrants just want to be a part of US society but are in a limbo situation where they are routinely exploited because they don't exist in the eyes of the law. Currently there is approx. 11 million undocumented immigrants in the US. That's 11 million who could be adding to society, paying taxes and adding to the rich fabric that makes America great.

Oh, and by the way, this is pretty much a Democratic policy. 

https://democrats.org/where-we-stand/party-platform/creating-a-21st-century-immigration-system/

3 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Since the child is automatically a citizen, illegal parents should be given a chance for citizenship through a system similar to the standard green card process. They should be required to speak English (or at least learning it) and tested on American culture and history. Any criminal activity immediately disbars them from applying. They should be in meaningful employment (or at least able to get a good job once they pass) and not allowed to take any government aid for a period of time (say 5 years but longer if it's preferable). They are not allowed to invite relatives etc into the country except for other children who may have been left behind in their home country (easily proven with a DNA test). Families should not be split up. 

The vast majority of illegal immigrants just want to be a part of US society but are in a limbo situation where they are routinely exploited because they don't exist in the eyes of the law. Currently there is approx. 11 million undocumented immigrants in the US. That's 11 million who could be adding to society, paying taxes and adding to the rich fabric that makes America great.

Oh, and by the way, this is pretty much a Democratic policy. 

https://democrats.org/where-we-stand/party-platform/creating-a-21st-century-immigration-system/

Sounds reasonable on the face of it. But, since entering the US illegally is ALREADY a criminal activity, they have already excluded themselves. Not to mention if they have other children and accompaning family members (other than the parents themselves)- what happens to them?

Nah, if your point is to not split families up then the thing to do is keep them together on the same plane that takes them home. 

I agree that the immigration system needs to be given a total overhaul, visas need to be updated and made easier to obtain, and those who employ illegal aliens need to be punished. But until that time we need to go with what we got. 

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Sounds reasonable on the face of it. But, since entering the US illegally is ALREADY a criminal activity, they have already excluded themselves. Not to mention if they have other children and accompaning family members (other than the parents themselves)- what happens to them?

Nah, if your point is to not split families up then the thing to do is keep them together on the same plane that takes them home. 

I agree that the immigration system needs to be given a total overhaul, visas need to be updated and made easier to obtain, and those who employ illegal aliens need to be punished. But until that time we need to go with what we got. 

I think we can both agree that something (anything) needs to be done and demonising these people, as Trump is trying to do, is not the solution.

I think you know what I mean by criminal activity though and obviously their first criminal act has to be 'forgiven'

to be able to move forward. As far as your other points; surprise, surprise it's a complicated and nuanced issue that needs much better equiped people than either you or I to solve but the first step MUST be to stop old policies that simply do not work and work on solutions rather than continually rehash the old ones. No one is happy there is 11 million undocumented immigrants but driving them underground to the detriment of themselves, their family and America in general CANNOT be the solution.

As far as I can see, neither Trump nor the GOP are offering any new solutions at all, relying on the usual diatribe to pit the poor against the even poorer and distract everyone else while they literally loot the country (Trumps last tax cut added $8 trillion to the national debt). The Dems aren't great either but at least they are trying to come up with new solutions that balance practicality and public sentiment. However, they are contunually blocked in either Congress or The Senate when trying to adopt any meaningful change but at least one party has an eye on the future whilst the other is firmly rooted in the past. I know which one I'd go for.

So trump , is going to change the US constitution on his first day as president? 

???????????? ahh stop it, i cant breath ????????????

" Birthright citizenship is included in the 14th amendment to the US constitution, "

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/31/donald-trump-birthright-us-citizenship#:~:text=Birthright citizenship is included in,citizens of the United States.”

Do you  know what is involved with changing the constitution? is it even possible given the gridlock in congress?

Google it. I would do it for you but I cant stop laughing !!

On 5/31/2023 at 10:30 AM, Neeranam said:

The Constitution is dated, what is wrong with changing it? 

There's nothing inherently wrong with changing it. That's why there are already 27 amendments.

However, as Sheryl already pointed out, the President is not part of the process and it would require a 2/3 majority in both houses, followed by ratification by 3/4 of the states.

So until MAGA Republicans (and not just Republicans) hold 2/3 of all government seats and control 3/4 of the states, it's not going to happen and certainly not just because Trump wants it to.

18 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

So until MAGA Republicans (and not just Republicans) hold 2/3 of all government seats and control 3/4 of the states, it's not going to happen and certainly not just because Trump wants it to.

Would non-Trump Republicans not vote for the change, despite agreeing with it? Seems rather divisive.

Edited by Neeranam

17 hours ago, bignok said:

Well the author of this piee is this world renowned scholar

jagran josh

Tulika Tandon

Tulika Tandon is an Education Reporter & Writer with an experience of 5+ years. An MBA graduate and a long-time UPSC aspirant, she has devoted her life to helping the students find the right path to success. In her free time, Tulika likes to read, travel or bake. Read her stories in GK, UPSC and School sections at Jagranjosh.com. She can be reached at [email protected].