Trump vows to end birthright citizenship for children of unauthorized immigrants if he wins in 2024

Scott

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Why is it the left always wants to get personal? Where was the hysteria in my post. I simply reported info the OP neglected.

Me, personally I think it's criminal which is why these birther hotels were being rousted.

Why is it that right wingers always make generalizatons about the left based on  particular responses?.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stoner said:

so 2 people on holiday in canada that have a baby there should be entitled to the health care system that tax payers pay for ? 

amazing. 

daily we see posters on here mouthing off about foreigners in thailand caught in bad situations in hospitals with medical bills etc. 

but when it is swung back the other way its ok ?

Yes, the baby should be entitled to health care.  All babies should.

Aren't expats people who have gone country shopping?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

Yes, the baby should be entitled to health care.  All babies should.

Aren't expats people who have gone country shopping?

ok the baby can receive health care absolutely. 

who pays for it ? and for how long is that care extended for ? 

correct me if i am wrong but are expats here not required to pay for their own health insurance or costs incurred when visiting a hospital ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, stoner said:

ok the baby can receive health care absolutely. 

who pays for it ? and for how long is that care extended for ? 

correct me if i am wrong but are expats here not required to pay for their own health insurance or costs incurred when visiting a hospital ? 

Do you think the US should be more like Thailand?

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

He can't win votes he's already got.  This only appeals to the MAGA types.  Perhaps he's trying to keep them from defecting to DeSantis.  But this won't help Trump in the general election. 

His way of thinking is the more "red meat" he spews to his base the more rabid they all get. Truth is his base is slowly declining.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

This would require a Constitutional Amendment.

First sentence of the 14th Amendment is:

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

Requires a 2/3 majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate followed by a separate ratification by 3/4 of the States.

President has no role in this process. Never comes to him for signature and certainly cannot be done through an Executive Order.

So empty talk on his part.

Touché! Unfortunately in my opinion most of the maga politicians don’t really care if what they espouse is doable,just as long as it holds up for a few news cycles and can fester anger that’s good enough for them it’s all theater no substance all for the outrage vote no policy’s that would actually require work and skill 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, heybruce said:

Trump promises an executive order that overrules the US Constitution.

not the way i read it. it is not the constitution but   'Under a decades-long interpretation of the Constitution, children born on U.S. soil are automatically bestowed American citizenship, '   an interpretation that he will challenge. either way it will be tied up in courts ad endum

• Haha 1

Trump is doing here what he does best, he is dividing the nation.  He is again promising something he can't deliver on but will cause the targeting of vulnerable people.   

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Children are cared for by society until they reach a productive age, then the relationship is usually reversed.  That's how human society has always worked.

whatever you need to tell yourself to feel better. remind me again all the children living in poverty all over the world ? 

spare me.

31 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Immigrants are net contributors to the US economy and do many jobs US citizens don't wish to do.  The US economy, starting with the farming and service industries, would collapse without immigrants.  Demonizing them and their children is not only morally wrong it is bad for the US.

people who fly to other countries for the specific reason of timing the birth to coincide with arriving in that country....ya they are not immigrants like you speak of. nice try though.  nor is it the people i and others are referring to. 

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

So, alot of fat women are being asked how far along they are? You ever asked a woman how far along they are only to be told they aren't pregnant.

I got news for you. The people asking the question in this context aren't doing it for the sake of chitchat.

4 hours ago, stoner said:

whatever you need to tell yourself to feel better. remind me again all the children living in poverty all over the world ? 

spare me.

people who fly to other countries for the specific reason of timing the birth to coincide with arriving in that country....ya they are not immigrants like you speak of. nice try though.  nor is it the people i and others are referring to. 

Your first sentence is a pretty feeble deflection.  Was it ever unclear that we are discussing children in the US?

Regarding the rest:  Show me where Trump proposed to eliminate birthright citizenship only for those who come to the US specifically to give birth.  Show me where Trump has ever passed on an opportunity to demonize immigrants, other than the eastern European ones he marries and those from Norway.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

Ok, I'll state the obvious:  Children with no means of support should be cared for by the systems all rich countries have that care for indigent children.  The US has such systems.  These systems are paid for with tax money.

Children are cared for by society until they reach a productive age, then the relationship is usually reversed.  That's how human society has always worked.

Immigrants are net contributors to the US economy and do many jobs US citizens don't wish to do.  The US economy, starting with the farming and service industries, would collapse without immigrants.  Demonizing them and their children is not only morally wrong it is bad for the US.

Trump probably knows this.  He's making noise for his base and promising to do things he can't do.  His base loves it.

Please, not that tired old shibboleth of immigrants doing jobs Americans won't do.  That is bigoted on both fronts.  Americans would do such jobs, if only the wages weren't artificially surpressed by illegal immigrants willing to work for less. Also if able bodied people weren't able to game the social welfare system and spend lives of idle meaningless wastage.  

Guess what? In other countries, citizens do ALL the jobs, no matter how demeaning and low you may think them to be.  In Japan, Japanese people clean hotel rooms, build houses, pick fruit, and drive taxis. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Please, not that tired old shibboleth of immigrants doing jobs Americans won't do.  That is bigoted on both fronts.  Americans would do such jobs, if only the wages weren't artificially surpressed by illegal immigrants willing to work for less. Also if able bodied people weren't able to game the social welfare system and spend lives of idle meaningless wastage.  

Guess what? In other countries, citizens do ALL the jobs, no matter how demeaning and low you may think them to be.  In Japan, Japanese people clean hotel rooms, build houses, pick fruit, and drive taxis. 

The dems love people gaming the system, makes them dependant on the Gov. 

15 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

If you go to a convenience store in Japan, you'll find SE Asians, including many Thais. 

In Thailand, labouring is predominantly Burmese and Loatian workers. 

Finland, Thais picking blueberries. Lebanon, Syrian labourers. 

Actually, every country has immigrants doing jobs citizens don't want. 

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Guess what?  In other nations, including Thailand, immigrants do the most unpleasant of the agricultural, factory, and service jobs.  Japan, not a big agricultural nation, is the exception.

Paying wages and providing benefits that would motivate US citizens to work long days of stoop labor under a hot sun would either drive food prices through the roof or bankrupt US farmers as consumers switch to imported foods. 

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If you go to a convenience store in Japan, you'll find SE Asians, including many Thais. 

In Thailand, labouring is predominantly Burmese and Loatian workers. 

Finland, Thais picking blueberries. Lebanon, Syrian labourers. 

Actually, every country has immigrants doing jobs citizens don't want. 

Uh, I live in Japan. Have for more than 20 years.  What you say is narrowly true in very limited circumstances. In big cities only.  The reason is the falling birthrate more than anything.  The population is aging and shrinking.   However there is no vast underclass doing the crap jobs as there is in the US.  

8 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Guess what?  In other nations, including Thailand, immigrants do the most unpleasant of the agricultural, factory, and service jobs.  Japan, not a big agricultural nation, is the exception.

Paying wages and providing benefits that would motivate US citizens to work long days of stoop labor under a hot sun would either drive food prices through the roof or bankrupt US farmers as consumers switch to imported foods. 

As a teenager I did all those jobs. You'd be hardpressed to find a white kid doing dairy work, picking crops these days. Americans have gotten soft and lazy, part of the problem is the gov handing out to many freebees.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Not a big agricultural nation?  Please...

About wages- labor accounts for about 30% of the cost of fruit/nuts, 20% for vegetables, and 10% for grains etc.

So even paying legal residents double the current wage would not drive food prices "through the roof".  Plus it would encourage automation and efficient production.  

https://data.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/en/crop-workers/