COVID makes comeback in Thailand as booster fatigue leaves door open

webfact

10 hours ago, DavisH said:

My colleague and I cvaught covid in the last few weeks, after 3 years of no infection. Both vaccinated ages ago. Everyone will be exposed to this virus, eventually. 

The purpose of the vaccines, against the currently circulating Omicron strains of COVID, is to reduce people's chances of either getting seriously ill or dying from a COVID infection.

Studies show the vaccines still reduce the risks of serious COVID illness and death, particularly if the person has had three or more vaccine shots, quite well even months after the last prior vaccination.

The protection against mere infection, from the currently circulating Omicron strains, is much less and shorter in the duration of that protection, usually lasting only up to a couple months from the last prior shot.

As time has passed and the virus has mutated, the more recent versions have become both more contagious and more able to evade the vaccines' protections against mere infection, which were much stronger against the original version of the virus at the beginning of the pandemic.

That's one reason, the next generation of COVID vaccines due out probably later this year will be formulated against the currently circulating XBB strains of the virus, which hopefully will boost the vaccines' levels of effectiveness.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, DavisH said:

My colleague and I cvaught covid in the last few weeks, after 3 years of no infection. Both vaccinated ages ago. Everyone will be exposed to this virus, eventually. 

I hope that you are all ok now - will you keep your vaccine boosters up to date going forward now?

I agree that in general everyone will be exposed bit a simple regular booster shot will probably keep you safe or at least much safer than without a shot...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1