COVID makes comeback in Thailand as booster fatigue leaves door open

webfact

The latest WHO report on COVID worldwide shows continuing downward trends, amid the caveats about those numbers of much reduced COVID testing and reporting. But against those trends:

--"Australia's cases were up modestly, and with the onset of cooler weather in the Southern Hemisphere, the country is reporting rises of both COVID and flu. COVID-19 cases have doubled since March, and most people haven't had a COVID booster in more than 6 months, Australia's SBS News reported."

--"In China, the government is no longer releasing weekly data, but health officials have said the country is in the midst of an XBB wave, which isn't expected to reach the level of the country's late-winter surge, the South China Morning Post reported today."

--"Elsewhere in the Western Pacific, the WHO said 13 of 35 reporting countries have noted increases over the past 4 weeks, with the highest proportional increases coming from Mongolia, Cambodia, and Laos."

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/covid-cases-trend-down-all-world-regions

And by comparison, based on the latest report from the Thai Ministry of Public Health, current new COVID hospitalizations and deaths in Thailand are at their highest levels of 2023, with new hospitalizations having increased for nine of the past 10 weeks.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1296929-covid-new-hospitalizations-and-deaths-rise-again-to-new-weekly-highs-for-2023-serious-condition-hospitalizations-and-intubations-decline/

2 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

How true that is.

There are still people who believe everything that governments, health bureaucrats and Big Pharma tell them, despite evidence to the contrary from a solid 3 years of hypocrisy, stupidity, false statements, and drooling nonsense emanating from governments and their tame health bureaucrats.

Even throwing a dart at a board would have been a better way to decide policy than the policy that was generally enacted.

As the 19th century UK prime minister William Lamb wisely observed: "What all the wise men promised, has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass."

Governments have lots of politicians working in them - and they often lie. I think most people know this. Bureaucrats often move slowly and make mistakes and occasionally lie again most people know this. Drug companies sometimes lie and get caught and pay fines but overall they help us again most people know this.

I was in Thailand during COVID so i don't know much about what the situation was in America but like Monday night quarter backing things can always be done better in retrospect. 

As for the overall picture that your words paint - no I don't agree and I don't know many people who would agree with you.

But actually I have only read a few of your recent posts so I don't know if you are anti vax did you take a vaccine? I took Moderna and Pfizer no side effects and no COVID yet those around me got COVID and some got very sick. Note I am in a high risk group so I would not consider not taking the vaccine...

Overall millions of lives were saved by the vaccines - exactly how many no-one knows for sure but millions roughly... again exactly how many millions is difficult to say and not important - many lives were saved.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

The problem with your thinking is that you confuse "not 100% effective" with "0% effective".

Too many seem to think along binary lines.....but only along the lines that suit their agenda, 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, anrcaccount said:

Yes. It does and very significant downward trends. Very good news. 

You now seem to need to dig very deep, to find the nuggets of bad news to justify your advocacy of covid hyper vigilance right?

From the latest WHO update ( bolding mine)

"Globally, over 1.7 million new cases and over 10 000 deaths were reported in the last 28 days (8 May to 4 June 2023), a decrease of 38% and 47%, respectively, compared to the previous 28 days (10 April to 7 May 2023).

During this 28-day reporting period, 144 of 243 (59%) countries and territories reported at least one case.

The situation at the regional level shows decreases in cases and deaths in all six WHO regions.

https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/weekly-epidemiological-update-on-covid-19---8-june-2023

Also your sourced comments on Australia are out of date, the latest week shows a 18% decline in reported cases.

Source per covidlive.com.au

Oops.

8 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

Hysterical playground name-calling is always a bad substitute for reasoned argument.

seems ok to label and degrade members with no repercussions on this thread. strange that. 

35 minutes ago, h90 said:

Yes you have the group: We'll all die from Covid unless we get the vaccine. Ignoring that it was harmless for millions of unvaccinated.

And: The vaccine is deadly and Covid is complete harmless: ignoring that many people did die from Covid and I recall the majority of the vaccinated will die in autumn 2021...didn't happen.

no one reflects on the reality. Neither Covid nor the vaccine is killing everyone. Noone should follow prophets who were complete wrong in the past...(both on the we'll all die from Covid, nor on the vaccine is 90+% effective, nor these we'll all get blood cloths from the vaccine, etc...).
Things aren't binary as you say.....thanks for the word of reason

how dare ye try to speak from a center logical position.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

We don't even have a consensus on what constitutes a "Covid death" around the world. The UK used the metric "anyone who died within 28 days of a positive Covid-19 test"; other countries were more rational

To be accurate: the definition of a Covid death mentioned above was used for the daily reports. But official death numbers were based on standard coroner reports, which were produced using lab reports and autopsies.

Ofiicial mortality numbers from Covid usually exceeded the daily numbers due to large numbers who died from Covid outside of hospitals.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

This particular Covid wave will disappear like the rest.

The strategy is to limit infections, which then serves to reduce the chances of a nastier strain evolving. Every infected person serves as a biolab for Covid to evolve, so the fewer infected, the slower the virus evolves.

Covid Deniers and antivaxxers serve to promote infection, and thus assist the virus to evolve into possibly deadlier forms. They won't understand until its too late, and even then never comprehend the consequences of their actions. Just like Covid Deniers on their death beds claiming "its just the Flu".

Thank you, good post, I didn't understand till just now that aspect of bad strains developing...

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2023 at 7:44 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I see the loony anti-vaxers here have evolved, much like a virus...

Before, they were busy denying that COVID was/is killing people. Now they're evolved to deny that the COVID vaccines saved many millions of lives... (As usual, with no credible sources or documented justification for their claims).

Despite overwhelming evidence this is true from numerous published studies involving both scientific projections and examinations of actual death rates between the vaccinated vs the unvaccinated.

Peter Hotez, the widely respected dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor University, calls it "The Deadly Rise of Anti-science."

"In this eyewitness story of how the anti-vaccine movement grew into a dangerous and prominent anti-science element in American politics, Hotez describes the devastating impacts it has had on Americans' health and lives."

"By weaving his personal experiences together with information on how the anti-vaccine movement became a tool of far-right political figures around the world, Hotez opens readers' eyes to the dangers of anti-science. He explains how anti-science became a major societal and lethal force: in the first years of the pandemic, more than 200,000 unvaccinated Americans needlessly died despite the widespread availability of COVID-19 vaccines."

https://www.press.jhu.edu/books/title/33293/deadly-rise-anti-science

"Before, they were busy denying that COVID was/is killing people. Now they're evolved to deny that the COVID vaccines saved many millions of lives... "

Both are not mutually exclusive. In fact they go pretty well together.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

2021-2022 rhetoric. This is 2023.

Neither me nor any of my unvaccinated acquaintances have caught Covid. Every single vaccinated person I know has caught it at least once. 

Let that sink in.

To start you might have had COVID without symptoms...

Are you and your non vac acquaintances healthy or in a high risk group?

Are your vaccinated friends going out more? Less healthy?

Endless questions could be asked to make sense of your experience...

Big question - are you saying it is a myth that unvaccinated people make up a very large percentage of those who get COVID and die or are seriously ill?

• Love It 1

On 6/10/2023 at 12:44 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Peter Hotez, the widely respected dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor University, calls it "The Deadly Rise of Anti-science."

"In this eyewitness story of how the anti-vaccine movement grew into a dangerous and prominent anti-science element in American politics, Hotez describes the devastating impacts it has had on Americans' health and lives."

Science has to be challenged.

Peter Hotez seems to have a problem with those that don't agree with him. Plenty of 'white coats' don't see things the same way as he does.

Worth delving into where the University funding comes, when statements like this are made.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1