A desperate bid to kick-start electric vehicle demand: Car maker slashes prices as sales slow -

With reports of EV demand slowing this year, an Italian car maker has taken it upon itself to slash the price of its new battery models in a bid to spark sales. 

Almost 12 months after the Government terminated the Plug-in Car Grant, it has launched its own scheme in the hope it will help dealers shift more examples of it electric models. 

Bosses have also written an open letter to the UK Government pleading with ministers to boost incentives for British motorists to make the switch to electric vehicles. 

While the official PiCG offered to cut the price of a new EV by £1,500 by the time it was shelved a year ago, the car maker is offering to knock a lot more off the price of its battery vehicles. 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, billd766 said:

That would really hack me off.

If I bought an electric car last month and my neighbour bought an identical model for £1,500 less, this month.

To me it means that the value of my car has dropped by £1,500. I would want that money back in cash from the manufacturer.

Your car would have dropped much more than 1,500 in value the moment you left the showroom.

What a ridiculous prospect of holding the manufacturer responsible for depreciation. I bought a phone last week and there's since been a price drop. Should I be able to claim that back from the manufacturer??

Why couldn't you just be happy for your neighbour for lucking into a good deal?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, JayClay said:

Your car would have dropped much more than 1,500 in value the moment you left the showroom.

What a ridiculous prospect of holding the manufacturer responsible for depreciation. I bought a phone last week and there's since been a price drop. Should I be able to claim that back from the manufacturer??

Why couldn't you just be happy for your neighbour for lucking into a good deal?

However my neighbours car would have lost the same value but mine would have lost GBP 1,500 more.

Good for my neighbour but he didn't sell me a car, the dealer/manufacturer did.

Now if you can happily throw away GBP 1,500, then throw it my way.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

However my neighbours car would have lost the same value but mine would have lost GBP 1,500 more.

Good for my neighbour but he didn't sell me a car, the dealer/manufacturer did.

Now if you can happily throw away GBP 1,500, then throw it my way.

I can't happily throw away 1,500 gbp. But even my basic knowledge of economics leads to an understanding that list prices change for a variety of reasons and expecting a refund is ridiculous. 

I am also reasonable enough to be happy for somebody who got a better deal than me, rather than getting angry just because the planets didn't align for me on one particular occasion. ????‍♂️

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As the UK is mentioned, here are some stats from 2022 regarding EV cars.

Total car registrations were 1.6 million cars. Of that number 20% were all electric, so 320,000 cars. Of that number 67% registrations went to fleet and company sales to total 214,400. Therefore 105,600 were individual sales.

The government predicts that by 2030 the UK will need 300,000 charging points. To meet that target it needs to open 100 points per day. The average target to date is 23 per day.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1