MFP aims to break Thailand’s alcohol monopoly

snoop1130

28 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I'll drink to that. Seems, however, who or 'what' wrote or 'produced' this article doesn't know what a monopoly is. The market is an oligopoly.

https://www.flandersinvestmentandtrade.com/export/sites/trade/files/market_studies/Studie Beer Market in Thailand.pdf

Boon Rawd Brewery: U Beer (lager, 4.5%), , Snowy Weizen (German-style wheat beer), Kopper by Est 33 (red beer made from red GABA rice, 4.5%), My Beer (lager, 4.5% ABV) ThaiBev: Tapper (lager 6.5% ABV), Hutsman (wheat beer – Belgian style, 4% ABV), BlackDragon (red beer, 4% ABV) TAPB: Tiger Rodler, Tiger Lemon; Cheers Selection Riceberry, Cheers Selection Shogun Orange; Cheers Selection Northern Strawberry (which all are lagers.)

The systems are generally oligarchical the world over - corporatism, the nexus of government and corporations/business.

It's all been morphed into one-n-the-same......regardless of surface political and economic standings, practiced universally. 

• Like 1

Forgive my cynical thought but it won't happen. Unless they come up with some compromise deal where local breweries can only sell their goods from the back of a side of a tuk tuk on small side sois only between the hours of midnight and 2am. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Light at the end of the tunnel...

I hope one of the small breweries can make a decent bitter or porter?

I'm tired of the endless weak tasteless lagers.

Agreed. Hope they will be sensibly priced too. Saw a small pale ale craft beer in 7/11 at over 100 baht a small bottle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So currently you need to produce 30k bottles a day to get a license for distillery? If you don’t, you can’t get a license? How can you have a business then or call yourself a distiller? You set up a business knowing you can’t get a license for? I’m confused. Really. 

16 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

The systems are generally oligarchical the world over - corporatism, the nexus of government and corporations/business.

It's all been morphed into one-n-the-same......regardless of surface political and economic standings, practiced universally. 

Absolutely ???? % correct ! Not just Thailand Phamacutical monopoly, alcohol Amazon +++++ Blackrock, Vanguard etc,. Billy Goat is one of the best monopoly players ever along with his mates unamed as you get banned here easy with facts W_O , W_F etc,. vaxx proved all to me + lockdowns we are just pawn slaves in this game of elites & corrupt politicians ???? dominance . 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Thai beer is only rivaled by Serbian beer, and the mass produced American beers, in terms of the very low quality. Poor grade of hops, barely, and the production process seems to be entirely lacking in pride. Typical of the big monopolies. Even a large production beer, like Beer Laos blows away any Thai beer, hands down. Thailand desperately needs a vital craft beer movement, and the youth are ready to mount it. The dinosaurs would not stop protecting their "bankers" and move out of the way. Hopefully, the youth will. 

For some, craft beer is associated with anti-establishment politics. “It’s very similar to the French Revolution, which started from a cafe in Paris, where people drank coffee,” says Taopiphop. “The fuel of the revolution is not coffee any more, it’s craft beer.” Taopiphop adds that, after the 2014 coup in Thailand, many pro-democracy activists chose to meet in Bangkok’s craft beer bars.

If only the younger Thais were allowed to express themselves, be inventive, be creative, be industrious, and use their smarts and ambition, Thailand could have a future. Craft beer is needed here, and so are the young entrepreneurs. But, that future appeared to be suppressed at every turn by the dinosaurs, who only answered to money, money, and even more money. Money is the God of lesser men. The money first attitude is holding back Thailand on so many levels. Let us hope the future is more visionary, and less clouded by dark greed and massive corruption. 

Honestly, they should let the little crafters go for it. The majority of them will be a dismal failure and peter out within the first year - making a great craft beer is an art. IF any are still standing, they will have a quality product and pose merely a negligible threat to the big guys. Everybody wins!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

So currently you need to produce 30k bottles a day to get a license for distillery? If you don’t, you can’t get a license? How can you have a business then or call yourself a distiller? You set up a business knowing you can’t get a license for? I’m confused. Really. 

I think the key word is "capacity" rather than production stopping the garage start up. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

I don’t think it’s a good political move by this guy. First order of business is to look after his own and friend’s interest not the overall population. This case is very niche and specific with little impact on overall well being of the nation and there are more pressing issues than making beer production a fair playing ground. This tells how Thai political culture works. Every one for HIMSELF. Shame on him!

Going after rich and powerful oligarchs is a clear sign of intent to improve the country for nearly everyone. Cannot see why they should be ashamed.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, ozz1 said:

And how about looking into the supermarket monopolies and get some competition in the market while their at it

At least it's still cheaper than AU UK NZ and soon US. And here, there are wet markets everywhere selling almost anything that can be grown way cheaper and much fresher than the aircon/muzak Emporia.

I was amazed to find premium live seafood in a Korat market. 

Was in NZ last year, had been away decades. The craft beer selection was mind-blowing! 

Pricey, but absolutely astonishing in variety and flavour. An entire full length asile of beer, with wines on the opposite side.

All that for just 5 million souls, man woman and child. 

Corruption is why Thai people can't have these choices. 

Edited by chalawaan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2023 at 4:34 PM, dinsdale said:

I'll drink to that. Seems, however, who or 'what' produced this article doesn't know what a monopoly is. The market is an oligopoly.

Boon Rawd Brewery, ThaiBev and Thai Asia Pacific Brewerey.

Thanks for noting it is an oligopoly not a monopoly. So many people get it wrong. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, greeneking said:

Going after rich and powerful oligarchs is a clear sign of intent to improve the country for nearly everyone. Cannot see why they should be ashamed.

I don’t think your read my post well. The motivation here is personal gain. 

11 hours ago, chalawaan said:

At least it's still cheaper than AU UK NZ and soon US. And here, there are wet markets everywhere selling almost anything that can be grown way cheaper and much fresher than the aircon/muzak Emporia.

I was amazed to find premium live seafood in a Korat market. 

Was in NZ last year, had been away decades. The craft beer selection was mind-blowing! 

Pricey, but absolutely astonishing in variety and flavour. An entire full length asile of beer, with wines on the opposite side.

All that for just 5 million souls, man woman and child. 

Corruption is why Thai people can't have these choices. 

Dunno about the others now, but supermarket prices for beer in UK—most alcohol—is way lower than Thailand even factoring changes to currency over the last few years. When you get into the likes of craft beers, wines, breads, cheeses and fruits etc, Thailand can be prohibitively expensive. Even a slab of P poor lager here now is a rip, especially considering the wage relativity for locals. 

This can only be good news if they can break the monopoly of the dinosaurs, but a review of taxation on alcohol also needs serious consideration. 

• Like 1

You won't be getting any cheap beer boys. ( dream on )

You will be paying a very nice premium for your special beer.

Sure nice to have a choice. but I'm not bothered at all. 

Drank the local brews all-round the word, Thailand's local brew,  is not that bad in comparison. ( Star Larger, Nigeria ) :giggle:

I some how can't see people  cracking open a craft beer for breakfast.

Right 6.44, time for a breakfast beer, small can of Leo today. :thumbsup:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1