Please Don't Do This.......

Luckydog

But anyway....Humour is a great tool to break down barriers of all kinds...even silly humour...making someone else laugh is a joy...they could have been feeling low and you just may have made the day a bit easier for them. Laughter is the best medicine.

Absolutely true story.

I for one appreciated and enjoyed this story. Good on you! :o

McG

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucky, you really are overreacting. Its a bit of fun and is only meant as a joke. Indeed such a thing can break the ice and set the mood so both speakers relax and can converse easily

If a thai, out of the blue, asked me if I spoke English I'd laugh my head off at the incredulous nature of the joke!

So do I, always laughing my head off :D:D:D at hubby joking around with waited person or saled person or any where in public areas; shopping mall, airport, threater, beach ..etc, Seems he manages to strike a joke to strangers any time, any place.

Beside having fun from his jokes, you are sure to receive the best and attentive service. For you had made the service person feels you considered them a friend. :o

Hang Loose, Luckydog.

Both sides. Being Asian in Thailand doesn't mean they speak Thai. Being western anywhere doesn't mean you speak English.

Acting the goat makes you a pain anywhere.

Some male visitors to these shores seem to think it's great fun to make stupidly childish jokes when talking to Thai People. Bar Girls in particular.

A really nice Aussie guy I know says "Do you speak Thai" to waitresses when they come to take his order.

I told him last night, if he does it again I will leave.......frankly, it is stupid.

Others act in an equally idiotic way, and goodness knows what the puzzled Thai peeps think of us?

If you do that sort of thing, PLEASE stop it.

i make you right ,when in a country where english is not the language cracking silly jokes at people is stupid ,if this happened in your own country you would be very wound up ,thats how thai's who do speak english well (and there are a lot ) also get wound up ,and some assume we are all piss takers and we are not :o

Good man Lazee. You at least have a bit of sense.......You made my point better. EXACTLY!

Both sides. Being Asian in Thailand doesn't mean they speak Thai. Being western anywhere doesn't mean you speak English.

Acting the goat makes you a pain anywhere.

Thank you PGS for that description - "Acting the Goat". It's simply NOT funny!

I am all for genuine HUMOUR but THAT is NOT it.........It's simply embarrasing.

But fools who engage in such childish behaviour don't see it do they?

What do the Scots say? "Would 'The Power', the gift to give us. To see ourselves, as others see us".

Edited by Luckydog

Howdy,

I always have fun asking Thai to help me climb a coconut tree :D . I always put one foot on the truck with my hands around the trunk like I really want to climb it. Then I start with the "Chewy Pom Tee" "Chewy Pom Tee" always seen to break the ice for me, gets people to start fooling around with me. I always try to pick the tallest tree. :o

Chung *j*

Assume from your handle "Chung Noi" that your not getting far up that coconut tree without a good sturdy ladder!

Thais appreciate any attempt at humor by their guests including silliness.

I'm not funny, but I'm silly, so it makes it easy to lighten the atmosphere and be friendly with them. One of the best things about Thailand in my opinion. :D

I agree 100% I used to ask Thai girls if they had any English in them when they replied no I asked if they'd like some? most laughed striaght away, even the slower ones once it was explained. Give the Thai's credit they have a great sense of sanuk. :o

Right couple of Wags these two....Hohohohohoho.

So just "what do you say after you say hello"....something has to be said to set the mood and tenor of further exchanges. Humor is the easiest method to do this. Sarcasm, however, doesn't work very well here. The purpose is to get the smile and let everyone know that everything is OK.

Things you might not want to ask:

Are you a supporter of Thaksin (or the coup)?

Do you think it is genetic or the climate that makes people here lazy?

Do you think that 90% of Thai women in Pattaya are prostitutes?

Are those real (while staring at her chest)?

So, as embarassing as your friend is. I think I'd ignore it, although I can certainly understand why after a while it becomes tedious.

It's not the joke, it's the delivery. You can make the phone book funny if you know how to play it up.

Luckydog, accept that the world is full of different people, with different concepts of funny. You are obviously a man of high refinement and should by now be used to the pathetic fumbling of lower men as they struggle for your approval. I can tell this by your avatar of a man with a finger up his nose. Top drawer humor I say.

velly solly to hear about this problem.by the way,where you come from?

It,s ploblem.....................not problem..... :o:D:D

Only joking U.T.U.

To quote J.Mac.................................." You can,t be serious ", topic starter ??????

Come on, lighten up a little and let the sense of humour kick in and :D

marshbags :D

Edited by marshbags

When ever I enter a bar/club (especially one I haven't been to before), I'm usually asked the same questions each time:

What name you ?

I reply (in my best Thinglish) "My name A.T.M."

I can see the gears in their heads whirring and suddenly the light comes on and they start laughing. Some will start pretending to push buttons and then hold out their hands, waiting for the ATM to dispense money. I look at them and say "Sorry, you have no money in bank"

The other question is (usually) "Where you come from ?"

Once again, in my my best FaraThai, I reply:

I come from (Petchabun/Mae Hong Son/Pattaya Tai depending how I'm feeling that day).

The initial puzzled looks on their faces can be quite humourous, as they try to figure out how an obvious Farang could possibly be from Petchabun (or whichever province I told them). Once they realise I'm joking with them, the smiles light up the room, and they are tricked into thinking I'm a funny guy.

(The smarter ones also catch on that I have been around for awhile and might know a little Thai (language)).

I've been ordering "flied lice" for giggles at restaurants in Thailand for over 10 years now. People still think its especially hilarious. :D

Or stupid!

Try "ironic."

ironic

adjective

1. humorously sarcastic or mocking; "dry humor"; "an ironic remark often conveys an intended meaning obliquely"; "an ironic novel"; "an ironical smile"; "with a wry Scottish wit" [syn: dry]

2. characterized by often poignant difference or incongruity between what is expected and what actually is; "madness, an ironic fate for such a clear thinker"; "it was ironical that the well-planned scheme failed so completely"

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

:o

Don't you guys get sick of telling the same joke in Tinglish again and again?

About time you learned some more.

in pattaya....

khun chorp bpai talay mai?

Chorp mahk. Chorp len tee hart

hart nai?

hart sa-ee

etc etc

Being the 'funny man' telling the exact same jokes that they hear like 10 times per night must be slightly amusing as per the famed Indian restuaranteur skit of Rohan Atkinson ('if you have the vindaloo, you will probably end up in the loo, yes very funny joke that one, this must be the tenth time this evening that I have heard that, but still very very funny') perhaps this thread would be better used to expand the jokes so that more amusing and funny jokes can be shared in the bars of pattaya etc.

Chill mate. :o Can you crack a joke?

HERE IS A JOKE FOR YOU:

A thai girl walks into her local brain shop, and see's 3 brains on display behind the counter. She asks the shopkeeper about the three brains.

"The first one is an english brain, that will be 30,000 baht, the second one is an Irish brain you can have that for 20,000 baht, and the third on is a Thai brain,,,,, it is free" said the shopkeeper.

"How come it's free" said the thai girl.

" My dear,,, it's never been used" replied the shopkeeper.

My thai girlfriend cracked up when I told her this joke, and she now goes on to tell it to her mates,,, but changed so it is the farrang buying the free farrang brain.

I don't mind....:D

i guess when saying a joke it all depends how a person says int in a sarcastic way, degrading way, or just for fun,

i believe that this, is the distinguish, people must make as it does not matter in what language you speak, the receiver can always detect bad sarcasms.

Thread Degeneration Alert! :o

I was asked to run a marathon. "No way" I replied.... "Go on" they said; "Its for spastics and blind kids"....

Then I thought; "Hey! I could win this!"

Quote Degeneration Alert :D

:D

It's not the joke, it's the delivery. You can make the phone book funny if you know how to play it up.

Luckydog, accept that the world is full of different people, with different concepts of funny. You are obviously a man of high refinement and should by now be used to the pathetic fumbling of lower men as they struggle for your approval. I can tell this by your avatar of a man with a finger up his nose. Top drawer humor I say.

When ever I enter a bar/club (especially one I haven't been to before), I'm usually asked the same questions each time:

What name you ?

I reply (in my best Thinglish) "My name A.T.M."

I can see the gears in their heads whirring and suddenly the light comes on and they start laughing. Some will start pretending to push buttons and then hold out their hands, waiting for the ATM to dispense money. I look at them and say "Sorry, you have no money in bank"

The other question is (usually) "Where you come from ?"

Once again, in my my best FaraThai, I reply:

I come from (Petchabun/Mae Hong Son/Pattaya Tai depending how I'm feeling that day).

The initial puzzled looks on their faces can be quite humourous, as they try to figure out how an obvious Farang could possibly be from Petchabun (or whichever province I told them). Once they realise I'm joking with them, the smiles light up the room, and they are tricked into thinking I'm a funny guy.

(The smarter ones also catch on that I have been around for awhile and might know a little Thai (language)).

I've been ordering "flied lice" for giggles at restaurants in Thailand for over 10 years now. People still think its especially hilarious. :D

It's fried rice you PLICK !!!!! :o

Ahhh Lethal Weapon (was that 3, the one with Jet Li ?)

That is part of our colonial past, altrough Thailand wasn't a colony, but Vietnam and Korea were. Europeans have still a bit of that colonial pretension and think they are better and smarter

Some male visitors to these shores seem to think it's great fun to make stupidly childish jokes when talking to Thai People. Bar Girls in particular.

A really nice Aussie guy I know says "Do you speak Thai" to waitresses when they come to take his order.

I told him last night, if he does it again I will leave.......frankly, it is stupid.

Others act in an equally idiotic way, and goodness knows what the puzzled Thai peeps think of us?

If you do that sort of thing, PLEASE stop it.