It’s a scary time for us’: Florida Pride organizers on edge amid safety fears

onthedarkside

19 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

Assimilate into society? Jesus Christ, you sound like Jordan Peterson and his "We should help gays integrate into society".  Gay people are as much part of society as everyone else but aren't always afforded the same rights or treated the same and that's what this is all about. 

Not everyone wants to assimilate. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, proton said:

Gay pride month?

So kinda like spring break... Don't mind those butt cheeks, eh? Sexualization is sexualization and I would suggest spring break is worse than pride Month for sexualizing kids. 

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

How about you take you own advice and try to live in harmony together....by letting a minority group have a parade and party?  

Sure. Rent a villa somewhere and do your party.

And make sure you don't disturb the neighbors.

Enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

the Protection of Children Act prohibits minors from attending “sexually explicit performances” and authorizes the punishment of businesses that knowingly allow children to attend such events

Common sense prevails.

Who could disagree?

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

No one is forcing you to celebrate it.  You do not have to go. Like if I have a birthday party you do not need to come. 

Except they parade through the streets, often in busy, popular, downtown areas, where you could happen to be for another reason without realizing they had a parade there that day.

And it's a whole month, remember. 

Who can keep track of where they are at all times?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

They are funny..well some of them. Have you ever been to see one?  I don't think you understand what drag queen shows are. You might be confusing them with a kinky sex show?  

There's plenty of videos online these days in which the drag shows turn into semi-nude strip shows....and, yes, children are the audience.

I think that's what the other poster may be referring to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

That sounds like a threat.  You are saying people are justified to deliberately make trouble if a minority group has a public party or celebration. 

Yes. They are funny..well some of them. Have you ever been to see one?  I don't think you understand what drag queen shows are. You might be confusing them with a kinky sex show?  

Haha..what?  

LGBT people do these things as a fun party, so people can have a good time and celebrate their community and culture...as well has providing support to people. 

You clearly are not gay.  Many countries ban gay marriage, others imprison gays, and some kill them.  Even in more progressive countries LGBQ people are often bullied, discriminated against or even attacked. 

Being homosexual or bi etc is not a 'kink', anymore than being straight is. 

No one is forcing you to celebrate it.  You do not have to go. Like if I have a birthday party you do not need to come. 

How about you take you own advice and try to live in harmony together....by letting a minority group have a parade and party?  

The topic is not other countries and what happens there, but Florida. And it seems that people are so afraid that they......unfurled a 200 foot long rainbow flag?

I guess the "right" that is being taken away is the right to perform lewd acts in public in front of children.  So drag queens are afraid of 'performing' on floats in parades.  Good, they should be afraid.  Pantomiming sex acts in public is never a good idea, doesnt matter who is doing it. 

DeSantis, according to the article, banned instruction on sex and sexual identity until after grade 3.  And..... again, this is a bad idea?  Why do LGBT advocates want to target children younger than 8 years old?

Another law will ban the castration of minor children, or giving them drugs that will make them sterile. Again, why is it so important for the LGBT community that children can be mutilated?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Credo said:

On the issue of culture wars, the far right is following the Nazi playbook.  Did you know the book burning started May 6, 1933 with the burning of books by Dr. Magnus Hirschfeld's books?   Those books:

Its library and archives of around 20,000 books and journals were publicly hauled out and burned in the street. Its collection included unique works on intersexuality, homosexuality, and transgender topics.[7][8][9][10] It's assumed that Dora Richter, the first transgender woman known to have undergone sex reassignment surgery (by doctors at the institute), may have been killed during the attack.[11][10]

And just to be clear, they did 'come after them' and yes they did put them in concentration camps, and they did kill them.  They killed thousands of them.  What's more, they erased them entirely from society.   

"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it", comes to mind on this issue.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_book_burnings  

Hyperbole much? The topic is Florida, not Germany. However, it is nice of you to invite Mike Godwin to the conversation.  Yes, Florida is so dangerous that nearly a MILLION LGBT plus people choose to make it their home. Similarly, it is such a terrible place for black Americans that the chairman of the NAACP has chosen to live there as well.

Enough. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Credo said:

The typical discounting and minimizing of a factual statement.   What has happened in the past with devastating and deadly consequences is happening again.   I see you are keeping track of the numbers and where the targeted victims are living.  It makes any final solution much quicker.

Please get over your hysteria.  There is reallly little to compare between concentration camps and restricting childrens' access to sexually explicit materials. Don't let your ideology blind you to reality.

What part of your description of 1930s Germany is happening today in Florida? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Demonizing political enemies.

Populism

Fascism

Sloganeering

Censorship

Rampant racism.

Sounds like a pretty terrible place. No wonder people are leaving in their thousands, eh? 

https://www.wjhg.com/2023/02/25/great-florida-migration/

Actually thought you were describing California there for a minute...

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Sounds like a pretty terrible place. No wonder people are leaving in their thousands, eh? 

I know of 2,000 employees and a billion dollars that won't be going there because of anti woke rhetoric.

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

LGBT+ people are fleeing Florida in ‘mass migration’ over ‘Don’t Say Gay’ law

Anti-LGBT+ laws put in place by Florida Governor and presidential candidate Ron DeSantis have triggered a “mass migration” out of the state, a Pride organiser has said.

This comes as several transgender people are reportedly taking to GoFundMe to solicit donations to move out of the state.

Several Pride groups in the Sunshine State have cancelled their celebrations that were set to take place during the month of June after the new laws have left the community worried about possible blowback.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/ron-desantis-florida-lgbt-law-b2348259.html

3 hours ago, Credo said:

Well, let's start with your hysteria.  Nobody is exposing children's to sexually explicit material.  There are laws about sexually explicit material on the books, and it's enforced.  Nobody is interested in your children from the LGBTQ community.  Drag Queens are entertainers, they are paid to entertain.  There is no evidence of grooming.   

"The Book This Book is Gay by Juno Dawson is available to 14-18 year old children at the Grand Haven High School Library. It contains tips on how to meet up with adults secretly and keep it from parent’s knowledge, tips on how to use sex apps, tips on how to have sex, oral, bumming, and so much more"

https://restoreottawa.substack.com/p/this-book-is-gay-a-how-to-book-for

If you click my provided link you will see quotes from this book. It is absolutely VILE and disgusting, way beyond merely sexually explicit. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Credo said:

So, you find ONE example from ONE school that has a questionable book.  For that brush, all LGBTQ people are getting tarred.  

?

You claimed "Nobody is exposing children's to sexually explicit material.  There are laws about sexually explicit material on the books, and it's enforced. "

It was a false claim, and I proved it false with a credible link. Now you say, OK but that was just one example proving your claim to be wrong. How many examples do you need before acknowledging your claim was false? 10? 50? I can give however many examples you need. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Then I actually MET a gay couple. They are two of the most generous members of their community, donating time and money to many causes. This led to my meeting more people who have fluid genders and sexual preferences different to mine. They are just like anyone else - some are good, some are dirtballs, but the bottom line is they are just people trying to get through this obstacle course of life!

Wonderful.

And how many of the nice LBGTQ+/- people, who you like and respect, tell you that they need to talk to your children to explain to them that some people are different?

How many "women" with penis do you know who you would like to see in the locker room together with your wife or girls?

I agree that many people, regardless of which sexual organs they have, and regardless of what they desire, are nice people. But there are also crazy and bad people out there. We don't have to be inclusive to all of them, including the bad people.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1