Bank account, moving to another province.

I opened a Bangkok Bank savingsaccount in Naklua branch Chonburi years ago. I'm thinking about moving to Prachuab Khirikhan. What do I have to do to not pay any fees for atm withdrawals or other disatvantages. Do I go to Prachuab BB branch?

Thanks.

I have an account still in Pattaya and moved to Buriram, and I withdraw money from the ATM via the Bank App on my Phone (cardless withdrawal) and I didn't  have to pay any fees for that.

If you use an ATM card then you pay (I believe) 15 THB per withdrawal.

You cannot move the account to your new province, what you do is open a new account in the new province and then have them transfer the money to the new account.

But this will cost you (AFAIK) 150 THB per 100.000 THB transferred.

Now I leave my Pattaya account dormant but still have approx 10K in there so it doesn't get closed.

Withdrawal via the Cashier in another province then where your account is located will also incur fees. How much I am not sure.

Another solution for you is open the account in the new province and then via Internet Banking transfer money from the OLD account to the New account

Edited by MJCM
Spelling
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I have an account still in Pattaya and moved to Buriram, and I withdraw money from the ATM via the Bank App on my Phone (cardless withdrawal) and I didn't  have to pay any fees for that.

If you use an ATM card then you pay (I believe) 15 THB per withdrawal.

You cannot move the account to your new province, what you do is open a new account in the new province and then have them transfer the money to the new account.

Now I leave my Pattaya account dormant but still have approx 10K in there so it doesn't get closed.

Withdrawal via the Cashier in another province then where your account is located will also incur fees. How much I am not sure.

Another solution for you is open the account in the new province and then via Internet Banking transfer money from the OLD account to the New account

Correct about the transfer, but if you open a new account, add it to your existing accounts on the banking app, then you can transfer between accounts don't pay charges. I sat there in disbelief when the clerk informed me the charge was 2000B+ in Kasikorn when I opened a new account at the local branch.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Correct about the transfer, but if you open a new account, add it to your existing accounts on the banking app, then you can transfer between accounts don't pay charges.

:thumbsup: But that is what I suggested in the last section, I only did not mention the charges.

15 minutes ago, MJCM said:

32 minutes ago, Tidal wave said:

Siam and Kbank is 15bt per withdraw not worth worrying about everything else can be done in HH with CM accounts .

True. Was surprised to be charged only 15 baht recently. Seems to be a flat-rate. I think to remember that it was more years ago (20 baht + 0.1%?). Not a big deal, but you can always limit such fees by withdrawing less often but larger sums.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

One more thing to take into account is the renewal of your atm card.  I had an account with Bangkok bank in Minburi and the card expired about 3 months ago.  I visited a couple of local branches to try to get a new card but was told I would have to go back to the accounts home branch )I'm in Isaan).   Now I know some people on here will say "oh no thats b**lsh*t" well it happened to me and many others and people say a lot of things on here but just be warned.

I tried to get around it by closing the a/c and opening another locally, thinking I would save on the "other province" fees but alas they got me on the deposit fees.   The whole thing is a scam with them treating Thailand like it is 70 odd countries, not provinces, and making you pay for it as though the internet costs more to cross borders lol!

Edited by ThaiFelix
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

One more thing to take into account is the renewal of your atm card. 

I have not renewed my ATM cards, in fact for my BBL accounts I don't have an ATM card anymore and do everything via the Phone APP.

What do I want that Union Pay card for anyway? ????

Getting bank statements for Visa renewals is much more difficult and time consuming if your home branch is in another province.  Worth the time and effort to change home branch once you are relocated.

It can be difficult.  I opened my Bangkok Bank account at a Sukhumvit branch. Several years later, they opened a new branch much closer to my residence.  Took me many visits to both branches and at least a year to finally accomplish the transfer.

It is easier with getting supporting documents for the retirement extension. There are also the little nibbles of fees if operating an account in another province.

Having said that, I have not needed to transfer my Bangkok Bank account with 800K from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai. The BB staff in Chiang Rai seem quite happy to provide me with the bank letter and statements for the CM account. The OP's mileage may vary.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

The whole thing is a scam with them treating Thailand like it is 70 odd countries, not provinces, and making you pay for it as though the internet costs more to cross borders lol!

at least 1 Baht is still 1 Baht irrespective of province, unlike the UK of old (or maybe it still is), where a note issued by a Scottish bank, was worth 95% of a Bank of England note, totally illegal according to the banks but in the High Street that's where we were, if you could get the Scottish note accepted at all.

• Thanks 1

Thai banks are becoming more modern, I would say they are around 1990 era right now.

Many moons ago you had to go the same branch to update any details, get paper statements for immigration, request new card etc.. but recently I've been shocked that Bangkok bank can print and stamp statements - at a charge mind you - from a branch that wasn't the one I opened at account at. I was also pleasantly surprised that K Bank allowed me to change my contact details at a branch that wasn't the original one too. And the icing on the cake I managed to do something over the phone without "go to branch sir" ... Truely modern times.. It looks like you can even order a new debit card on the KBank app too? ????

Other than the 15 baht fee its probably not necessary to transfer banks nowadays

Edited by farang9392
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

Or he could withdraw the account balance in cash and deposit it in the new (province) account free of charge.

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

A dormant account (i.e. an account that is never used) can still be closed by the bank but any balance would be reclaimable from the BoT to where dormant balances are transferred.   What prevents it from being closed (and from being dormant) are occasional transactions, regardless of how small thy may be.