Using 110V Electronics in Thailand?

There's no way the synthesizer works off native 110V, so there is already at least one transformer in use.

If this was a long term project (ie not just wanting to use it as a one off), I'd be tempted to open it up and get a decent electrical person to change the internal power conversion (assuming it's not an external power supply, in which case the whole problem is easy to solve). It should be a pretty simple job.

Are you 100% sure there's not a 110/240 switch on it somewhere, or it already accepts a wide range of voltage / hz?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

There's no way the synthesizer works off native 110V, so there is already at least one transformer in use.

If this was a long term project (ie not just wanting to use it as a one off), I'd be tempted to open it up and get a decent electrical person to change the internal power conversion (assuming it's not an external power supply, in which case the whole problem is easy to solve). It should be a pretty simple job.

Are you 100% sure there's not a 110/240 switch on it somewhere, or it already accepts a wide range of voltage / hz?

good questions, which I will have to research.

But why wouldn't a Japanese made synthesizer not run 110v natively?

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

Because very few electronics run at mains voltage. Some (like microwave magnetrons) work at much higher voltages, but the vast majority will be at 5v, 12v, 24v or something much lower, so there will almost always be a transformer (or a more modern switching power supply) somewhere in the loop.

• Like 2

Japan v

29 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

good questions, which I will have to research.

Japan voltage is 100v at either 50Hz or 60Hz (depending on location).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I worry that transformers would induce noise that could make the indtruments useless.

If is it not a switching converter than there won't be extra noise. 

Two cables around a core. That's it.

qklCS.gif

81X8PDU4rQL.jpg

• Like 1

50W 220-240 to 100-120V converters are very cheap and small, and just plug into the socket, then you plug the appliance into them. 100V ones are a lot harder to find.

I have several japanese appliances (as they were only made for Japanese market and there was never an international version) and for those I use a rather large 500W transformer from 220/230/240V (selectable) to 100V. It is a very hefty box, and cost me about 3000 baht each at PowerMall in Paragon. So far those boxes have been used for many years, non stop, and there is yet to be any problem with them.

They might be available online.

image.png.adaa0afcb4c80c4d427f357454ce3a6c.png

33 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

50W 220-240 to 100-120V converters are very cheap and small, and just plug into the socket, then you plug the appliance into them. 100V ones are a lot harder to find.

I have several japanese appliances (as they were only made for Japanese market and there was never an international version) and for those I use a rather large 500W transformer from 220/230/240V (selectable) to 100V. It is a very hefty box, and cost me about 3000 baht each at PowerMall in Paragon. So far those boxes have been used for many years, non stop, and there is yet to be any problem with them.

They might be available online.

image.png.adaa0afcb4c80c4d427f357454ce3a6c.png

Am I seeing 3 pin outlets on a 2 pin wall plug and a metal case?

35 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I guess the outlets are meant to be 'universally' adaptive - just like a travel adapter.

14 hours ago, Crossy said:

Most, if not all, Japanese electronics has "universal" power supplies capable of operating between 90 and 250V at 50 or 60Hz.

The rating plate on the unit will give you the relevant detail. If you don't know what you're looking at, post a photo ???? 

in the specific instrument I am contemplating bringing to Thailand, the rating plate says "110v". But, a sister unit with the same input transformer says "110-220v".

12 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

That was an example photo of how approximately they look like. Mine is grounded and has 3 pin plug, but of the 2 sockets, one is 100V US-stype only, and the other is same as input, 220V, with universal plug. Different models will have different configurations.

7 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

in the specific instrument I am contemplating bringing to Thailand, the rating plate says "110v". But, a sister unit with the same input transformer says "110-220v".

If it has an external transformer then it should be easy enough to get a suitable unit here even if you end up with a 110V only instrument.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

If it has an external transformer then it should be easy enough to get a suitable unit here even if you end up with a 110V only instrument.

The point is that I already have this instrument in the USA, and it would cost me $2000 US to buy another. 

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The point is that I already have this instrument in the USA, and it would cost me $2000 US to buy another. 

I don't think I suggested you buying a new instrument.

You said; -

But, a sister unit with the same input transformer says "110-220v".

Suggesting that it has a separate power supply (input transformer), a suitable local power supply would cost a few hundred Baht.

If the beast is direct mains input (no wall-wart or power supply), then you already have your answer.

If you were to tell us which make / model synth you have it may make life easier.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

I don't think I suggested you buying a new instrument.

You said; -

Suggesting that it has a separate power supply (input transformer), a suitable local power supply would cost a few hundred Baht.

If the beast is direct mains input (no wall-wart or power supply), then you already have your answer.

If you were to tell us which make / model synth you have it may make life easier.

it's a Roland Integra-7 synth.

The input transformer is inside the synth. The first image shows the inside of the synth, the second shows the input transformer of the sister synth (RD-2000). The bottom of the input transformer for the RD-2000 shows that it works for 220V. The only question is whether the input transformer for the Integra-7 is identical to the RD-2000.

1.jpg

3.JPG

4.jpg

• Like 1

OK got it.

The only way to know for sure is to look at the power supply inside your particular synth.

If it is 110V only then an external transformer is the answer, it's not going to introduce any more noise than that switching power supply already does.

You could get a 220V supply from Roland and replace your current one, but I be it would be silly money.

EDIT This post suggests it already has a 110-220V supply internally anyway, but I would be checking before plugging anything in.

https://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?t=56644

EDIT 2 Your photos look awfully familiar ???? 

• Like 1

OK got it.

The only way to know for sure is to look at the power supply inside your particular synth.

If it is 110V only then an external transformer is the answer, it's not going to introduce any more noise than that switching power supply already does.

You could get a 220V supply from Roland and replace your current one, but I be it would be silly money.

EDIT This post suggests it already has a 110-220V supply internally anyway, but I would be checking before plugging anything in.

https://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic.php?t=56644

EDIT 2 Your photos look awfully familiar ???? 

yeah, that's where I got them from.

I will look inside the unit before plugging it in to 220v.

• Like 1

Of course, I am an idiot. 

I just downloaded the Service Manual for the unit. Although there is no specific callout for operating voltages, its obvious that only one power supply is used for the unit in all countries. The only variation is the power cable used, that varies by voltage.

Just out of curiosity, I downloaded the service manual for a Roland U-220 I have in storage. That specifically states that 220 volts is okay.

6 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Of course, I am an idiot. 

Definitely not!

You would be an idiot if you plugged an appliance that said 110V on the rating plate into a 220V outlet!

I would still be verifying that you really do have a "universal" power supply in there. Best to be safe ???? 

Long ago (about 25 years) a mate in Italy bought a Sony printer on Ebay from a seller in the US. He assumed that, being a Japanese brand, it would have a universal power supply. Luckily, we checked, it didn't! Worked just fine with a cheap transformer of course.