War with US would be "unbearable disaster", says China

Social Media

China's defence minister has said war with the US would be an "unbearable disaster" for the world in his first major speech since taking on the role.

At a security summit, General Li Shangfu said "some countries" were intensifying an arms race in Asia.

But he said the world was big enough for both China and the US, and the two superpowers should seek common ground.

Earlier the US alleged "unsafe" manoeuvres by a Chinese destroyer near a US warship in the Taiwan strait.

On Saturday the US navy said a Chinese destroyer sailed "in an unsafe manner" near an American warship as it transited the Taiwan Strait with Canadian vessels.

China criticised both countries for "deliberately provoking risk". The US and Canada said they were sailing where international law allows.

Gen Li, who became defence minister in March, accused the US of a "Cold War mentality" and said this was "greatly increasing security risks".

6 hours ago, Suphawk said:

Retired here in Thailand. 

Does anyone have a bug out plan ready if the <deleted> hits the fan? I don't have much doubt about which side Thailand will take if war starts.

Wouldn't want to end up in a farang concentration camp.

I do hold some cash should I need immediate exit. Hopefully, it will remain untouched and will pass to my Thai Wife upon a peaceful passing ...

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Chinas game plan is to become an economic super power and USA will slowly fade away.

China has tentacles world-wide ensuring trade both imports and exports.

USA has a huge electricity power infrastructure issue and China could shut-down USA overnight should it want to.

Knock out a dozen targeted sub stations in the power grid and people would be dead after 10 days.

China has been building for the last 30 years while USA has been sleeping.

Now USA is tearing itself apart internally and China must be laughing.

The only enemy America has are it's own politicians and leaders.

I beg to differ with part of your statement if it ever really hits the fan America will pull together to defeat a common foe just ask Germany and Japan if the grid were attacked in an organized manner it would be protected immediately China isent stupid they don’t want conflict its an attempt at intimidation more bluster and bluff

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Chinas game plan is to become an economic super power and USA will slowly fade away.

China has tentacles world-wide ensuring trade both imports and exports.

USA has a huge electricity power infrastructure issue and China could shut-down USA overnight should it want to.

Knock out a dozen targeted sub stations in the power grid and people would be dead after 10 days.

China has been building for the last 30 years while USA has been sleeping.

Now USA is tearing itself apart internally and China must be laughing.

The only enemy America has are it's own politicians and leaders.

You’ve been watching too much TikTok!

20 hours ago, Suphawk said:

Does anyone have a bug out plan ready if the <deleted> hits the fan? I don't have much doubt about which side Thailand will take if war starts.

The possibility of a coup getting messy is a much bigger risk than of a US-China war spilling over into Thailand. 

The only precaution I ever took is keeping my passport and some cash in an accessible but secure place.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Suphawk said:

I Hate to P!SS on your Bonfire, but in the event of WW3 if Nuclear bombs don't kill you the Radiation from the Fallout or the "Nuclear Winter" will! :hit-the-fan:

Edited by Troy Tempest

3 hours ago, heybruce said:

The possibility of a coup getting messy is a much bigger risk than of a US-China war spilling over into Thailand. 

The only precaution I ever took is keeping my passport and some cash in an accessible but secure place.

When shlt hits the world wide fan, I'm running to Thailand!

Wait...  I've been here almost 40 years. I'm fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy Tempest said:

I Hate to P!SS on your Bonfire, but in the event of WW3 if Nuclear bombs don't kill you the Radiation from the Fallout or the "Nuclear Winter" will! :hit-the-fan:

It seemed, back when, that all agreed that no one wins a nuclear war.  I think some of those born after the SALT treaty were not informed of this.

I think it was JFK who said "the taste of victory would be a mouthful of ashes."

• Thumbs Up 1