Best Oil For Nouvo?

Hi.

I have just bought the Yam Nouvo that moo9 was selling. Great bike !!

My question is Which is the best oil to use for it? I,m a bit of a mechanical numb nut so therefore clueless.

Is Castol Magnatec OK? I would like to use the best because the bike has obviously been well cared for and i would like to continue that.

Also............are there any good options you could reccomend to me for power increases?

I get paid again at the end of the month so i would have a budget of around 5-6 k baht for power upgrades.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you. Steve

Hi.

My question is Which is the best oil to use for it? I,m a bit of a mechanical numb nut so therefore clueless.

Is Castol Magnatec OK? I would like to use the best because the bike has obviously been well cared for and i would like to continue that.

Also............are there any good options you could reccomend to me for power increases?

I get paid again at the end of the month so i would have a budget of around 5-6 k baht for power upgrades.

Thank you. Steve

You can tweak out the whole piston and drive train sproket system and make the bike very quick , check out some of the mods shops in Pattaya that do this . A good one is on 3rd road all the way down near north pattaya road.

Hi.

Thank you. Steve

Sorry I know nothing about bikes..Magnatec is it not a semi-synthetic?..I always used Mobile 1 in my cars in the UK..But look at www.castrol.com a wealth of information

Not too sure what to say here. Are you going to service it yourself? I serviced a friends Mio after a thai mechanic had looked after it. The air filter had never been touched, the auto drive filter had never been cleaned and he had put the remains of a litre of engine oil into the auto drive. About 3 times the amount it should have.

Go to Yamaha and buy the correct oil for the auto drive, don't worry too much about expensive engine oil if you are on a budget, and learn to service it yourself. Maybe buy some carb cleaner to clean the gauze oil filter/strainer.

I cannot recommend any performance enhancement because somchai will have to fit it for you. Please see any previous posts concerning thai mechanics to verify. The guy who had his brakes replaced on a Toyota (by Toyota), and ended up going down hill with no brakes, would be a good place to start

Great stuff guys ! Thanks. I will certainly look at the Wattana dealers.

Yes.......i would like to learn to service the bike myself..............not because i,m a cheap charlie but because i would be comfortable knowing it has been done..........especially given the comments about the air filters etc.

Magnatec? Yes i would be prepared to use Mobil 1 ( i used it on an FTO in the UK ). Its just that i have 5 litres of Magnatec knocking about so thought i would ask.

Once again.....many thanks for all of your considered replies.

Great forum.

If you clean the air filter with any type of detergents and especially carb cleaner, be sure to oil the filter and then let it drain thoroughly before putting it back in. You CANNOT do this with paper filters, they can be cleaned with air and when the paper (carboard type) filter gets to the point where you can't light coming through them, then it is time to replace the filter.

If you clean the air filter with any type of detergents and especially carb cleaner, be sure to oil the filter and then let it drain thoroughly before putting it back in. You CANNOT do this with paper filters, they can be cleaned with air and when the paper (carboard type) filter gets to the point where you can't light coming through them, then it is time to replace the filter.

Maybe buy some carb cleaner to clean the gauze oil filter/strainer

Only contemplate cleaning the oil filter/strainer with a carb cleaner, the air filter with compressed air and water will be fine for the drive filter

exhausts are the first and easiest port of call.

Hi Steve,

glad to hear that u r happy with the bike. Stay away from sport exhausts if possible. I mounted one on your Nouvo, get caugth by the Police in daytime, they took away the bike, I had to pay for mounting the original exhaust, got fined by 1,200 Baht or so and had all the hassle going here and there. It´s not worth it, although I have to admit, that the lNouvo had a very nice sound and some better acceleration as well. For the oil, I think I used some Castrol synthetic when I did the last oil change.

Regards

Uwe

exhausts are the first and easiest port of call.

Hi Steve,

glad to hear that u r happy with the bike. Stay away from sport exhausts if possible. I mounted one on your Nouvo, get caugth by the Police in daytime, they took away the bike, I had to pay for mounting the original exhaust, got fined by 1,200 Baht or so and had all the hassle going here and there. It´s not worth it, although I have to admit, that the lNouvo had a very nice sound and some better acceleration as well. For the oil, I think I used some Castrol synthetic when I did the last oil change.

Regards

Uwe

Hi Uwe.

Bikes running great. Thank you. I will take note of your comments about the exhaust and give that a miss. I don,t need the hassle with the police. Thanks.

For what it is worth, concerning fairly extensive modification of a Nouvo to get more power, consider what happened when I modified the 1993 Mazda Miata I used to have in the States. Stock, it had a 1600 c.c. engine producing 116 horsepower. First thing I did was to install a free flowing after market muffler and then a header. Supposedly good for 5 horsepower gain for the muffler and 5 to 8 more because of the header. And then I had installed a Sebring Supercharger. I was probably running around 175 horsepower or so and that car ran as if it had a V-8 in it. Whereas before it would do about 119 miles an hour now it would do 139 miles and hour. And that was all it would do because of the rev limited that would cut in while in 5th gear once a certain rpm level had been reached. You'd hit 139 and boom, suddenly the engine was getting no more fuel. Also had better shocks put on the bar, bigger wheels and tires. When the first engine went I'm pretty sure it was because the car was only designed to do around 6000 rpms for sustained periods of time. Now I was suddenly opening the car up (and pretty often). Whereas before the most I could get out of the car was around 6000 rpms at 119 mph now I could suddenly get 7200 and more (except for the rev limiter that cut in around then). But I'd be doing 7000 rpms trying to get to 7200 and 139 mph, and then I'd be doing 7100 and finally 7200. And I'd have it at these kinds of speeds for up to a couple of minutes. The engine was not designed for that and it shot craps. The second engine went because the fuel air mixture was too lean. It hadn't before but when the supercharger was installed problems would occur. And I"m not sure what caused the 3rd engine to blow. I then took off the supercharger but left the header and free flowing exhaust on. The car was once again very reliable for a few years and then the transmission shot craps at 150,000 miles when I traded the car off for a 2002 Special addition Miata with a six speed transmission that had 1800 ccs and 142 horsepower stock.

So my thinking is the same sorts of things could happen if one fools around with the stock configuration of the Nouvo too much. Just for starters the larger 250 c.c. and 400 c.c. Yamaha scooter style bikes shipped to the U.S. market utilize 2 drive belts whereas the Nouvo uses just one By increasing the power too much one might be overstressing the drive belt. And that's just for starters.

But I'd love it if Yamaha would introduce a 135 cc. or 150 c.c. Nouvo. I'd be assured then that everything was engineered to work together in a very reliable package.

Hi.

Mmmmmmmm I.,m wondering how feasible it would be to bore out from 115 to 125? Would i gain anything significant?

If it is reasonable to have done...........any idea on the cost involved?

Forget it!

There is a 300 cc kit around to fit if you look hard enough.   Yes I did say 300 cc!

It is a very major rebuild and costs as much as what you paid for the bike in the first place.   People that do the conversion say its power is amazing!   Plenty of overbore kits available in Bangkok you just got to look!  I think 150 is no problem.  I will ask for you tomorrow!

BB

Edited by Badbanker

Hi.

Mmmmmmmm I.,m wondering how feasible it would be to bore out from 115 to 125? Would i gain anything significant?

Forget it!

There is a 300 cc kit around to fit if you look hard enough. Yes I did say 300 cc!

It is a very major rebuild and costs as much as what you paid for the bike in the first place. People that do the conversion say its power is amazing! Plenty of overbore kits available in Bangkok you just got to look! I think 150 is no problem. I will ask for you tomorrow!

BB

Hmmm 300cc is kind of sick for a Nuovo, considering brakes and other parts, isn't it?

Moo9

Hi.

Forget it!

There is a 300 cc kit around to fit if you look hard enough. Yes I did say 300 cc!

It is a very major rebuild and costs as much as what you paid for the bike in the first place. People that do the conversion say its power is amazing! Plenty of overbore kits available in Bangkok you just got to look! I think 150 is no problem. I will ask for you tomorrow!

BB

Hmmm 300cc is kind of sick for a Nuovo, considering brakes and other parts, isn't it?

Moo9

Actually the price includes the price of new VERY LARGE brakes and new crank and all the kit.  Yes but if you want to go fast it is the thing to do.  

BB

Where is the logic in buying a small scooter and wanting to modify it for more power? An automatic scooter is hardly a sports bike. If you need to go faster, buy a sports bike with gears, or a maxi-scooter.

The brakes are not suitable for any more speed, neither is the suspension. You'll be making the bike a lot less safe.

Edited by tropo

Where is the logic in buying a small scooter and wanting to modify it for more power? An automatic scooter is hardly a sports bike. If you need to go faster, buy a sports bike with gears, or a maxi-scooter.

The brakes are not suitable for any more speed, neither is the suspension. You'll be making the bike a lot less safe.

On Friday I went to a hot up shop for Yamaha here in Bangkok.   Every sort of cc hotup is available and they range from 150, 200, 250, 300.  I rode a 250 and it is an amazing vehicle in terms of power.  Really blew me away!

BB

Any chance of this being legal or will your bike be confiscated or will there be fines to pay every time they see you?

The cc is clearly stated in the green book so there must be a problem somewhere if you upgrade.

Any chance of this being legal or will your bike be confiscated or will there be fines to pay every time they see you?

The cc is clearly stated in the green book so there must be a problem somewhere if you upgrade.

Nah as long as it doesn't make too much noise you have no problem.  Have you evr been for a roadworthy certificate in Thailand.  IT is a joke!   Until we havea our Tsunami I don't think it will be a problem.

Externally no one can tell that you have modfied the bike except for this 15" front brake.  Until you ride it and then Wow!

BB

Sorry Tropo, it is very important to do it this way, something to do with the Y chromosone I guess...

Hi.

Thank you. Steve

Steve,

The best performance upgrade would be to instal, lighter CVT weights. This will allow the engine to rev higher therefore releasing more power when accelerating. If you go looking take the weird shaped ones rather than the normal round ones:-)

Big bore kits and camshafts are available as they are for Waves etc. but Nuova has CVT so do that first. I am currently working with Spanish and Taiwanese companies to develop CVT kits for all Thai models. Honda can do, but not yet Yam/suz.

Where are you? If BKK go to Saphan Kwai BTS there are 3 or 4 shop there who can sell you most stuff. Rayong has some good shops there too, but need to sniff around.

Oops almost forgot. Best oil for motorbikes (any) is Shell Rimula synthetic.Rimula And yes it may say diesel on the bottle.

Edited by VocalNeal

On Friday I went to a hot up shop for Yamaha here in Bangkok. Every sort of cc hotup is available and they range from 150, 200, 250, 300. I rode a 250 and it is an amazing vehicle in terms of power. Really blew me away!

BB

Sounds bloody great. Where? I'll take one

Hi.

Thank you. Steve

Steve,

The best performance upgrade would be to instal, lighter CVT weights. This will allow the engine to rev higher therefore releasing more power when accelerating. If you go looking take the weird shaped ones rather than the normal round ones:-)

Big bore kits and camshafts are available as they are for Waves etc. but Nuova has CVT so do that first. I am currently working with Spanish and Taiwanese companies to develop CVT kits for all Thai models. Honda can do, but not yet Yam/suz.

Where are you? If BKK go to Saphan Kwai BTS there are 3 or 4 shop there who can sell you most stuff. Rayong has some good shops there too, but need to sniff around.

Oops almost forgot. Best oil for motorbikes (any) is Shell Rimula synthetic.Rimula And yes it may say diesel on the bottle.

Wow! :o Thanks for that info. I,m in Pattaya so Rayong is only 40 mins away.

Thanks for the info on the oil too. Useful.

Which errrrrrrrrrrrrr thingy do i go for? 10W - 40 ? 15W - 40? :D

Edited by stevemiddie