Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Best Smartphone Around 5000Baht.

15 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Then why did I not have these problems with any of my previous smartphones?. Just today my Bangkok bank app and Line app both  disappeared from my homescreen, I suppose that is also down to my lack of tech knowledge also.

the apps are probably on another screen and you don't realise, my Dad never really understood how his phone worked

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

the apps are probably on another screen and you don't realise, my Dad never really understood how his phone worked

I think that may be true. There used to be a way to lock the apps from moving, now I cannot do that, I can move my apps around with my finger where before I could lock them. I cannot find the facility to lock them now.

Also another picture which I have never seen before has appeared on my homescreen. I will sure be glad when I get rid of this garbage phone.

4 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I think that may be true. There used to be a way to lock the apps from moving, now I cannot do that, I can move my apps around with my finger where before I could lock them. I cannot find the facility to lock them now.

Also another picture which I have never seen before has appeared on my homescreen. I will sure be glad when I get rid of this garbage phone.

you know how to swipe left and right to see apps on different screens? should be no reason to lock apps to screens 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

you know how to swipe left and right to see apps on different screens? should be no reason to lock apps to screens 

Yes I do, but I always had to unlock them to do that, but now I can't as the facility to do that has disappeared. now I can't lock them and both my Bangkok bank app and line app disappeared, though not from my phone as I got a local shop to put them back on my homepage. But as I said I cannot lock them. You have said I don't need to lock them. That has me confused.

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

Yes I do, but I always had to unlock them to do that, but now I can't as the facility to do that has disappeared. now I can't lock them and both my Bangkok bank app and line app disappeared, though not from my phone as I got a local shop to put them back on my homepage. But as I said I cannot lock them. You have said I don't need to lock them. That has me confused.

Almost everything's manageable and customisable on Android.

You should have a look @ some Youtube vids et visit this website: XDA

Security advice: never ever leave someone "touching" your smartphone, especially when you've some banking apps installed on it...

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Here is an explanation of why those apps disappeared from your home screen

https://apps.uk/how-do-i-lock-icons-on-my-home-screen-android/

On your phone goto settings and 14 down from the top  is a setting for Home screen just above wallpaper settings

open home settings and check if fill cells of uninstalled apps toggle switch is blue if it is click on it so it turns grey

also check lock home screen layout if toggle switch is grey click on it to turn it to blue now if you try to move an app on the home screen it will let you know your home screen is locked

8 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Here is an explanation of why those apps disappeared from your home screen

https://apps.uk/how-do-i-lock-icons-on-my-home-screen-android/

On your phone goto settings and 14 down from the top  is a setting for Home screen just above wallpaper settings

open home settings and check if fill cells of uninstalled apps toggle switch is blue if it is click on it so it turns grey

also check lock home screen layout if toggle switch is grey click on it to turn it to blue now if you try to move an app on the home screen it will let you know your home screen is locked

Thanks, great advice and I understand it all, but the big problem is, the Home screen has just disappeared completely, as you said it should be above the wallpaper settings, I used it very regularly. It has got to be the phone to blame. there are so many problems with it.

20 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Good music sound a must, not too fussy about the quality of photo's.

I suppose it would be wrong to write of Chinese phones as there is not much of a choice left. I bought Mrs Jones an Oppo about three years ago, and she has been happy with it.

Not a big player, but Infinix makes some good quality budget phones. I picked up an Infinix Note 11s a year ago on Lazada, in good part due to its outstanding sound output and its bigger screen size. Quite happy with it.

Now the Infinix Note 12 is out and can be bought for less than 5000 baht on Lazada for the 6GB/128GB variant, and less than 6000 baht for the 8/256 one.  You might want to have a look into these phones.

Edited by rwilem

2 minutes ago, rwilem said:

Not a big player, but Infinix makes some good quality budget phones. I picked up an Infinix Note 11s a year ago on Lazada, in good part due to its outstanding sound output and its bigger screen size. Quite happy with it.

Now the Infinix Note 12 is out and can be bought for less than 5000 baht on Lazada for the 6GB/128GB variant, and less than 6000 baht for the 8/256 one.  You might want to have a look into these phones.

Thanks for letting me know, but I would need to see the phone I was buying first and be able to get everything changed into my new phone by the people I was buying it from.

Looking at it another way my Xiomai has been such a total disaster, I am looking at Samsung who have always been reliable for me in the past.

20 hours ago, NoshowJones said:
23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I bought a 'cheap burner' Samsung (for use when overseas in Middle Eastern countries who were forcing their 'track n trace apps)... I was the most useless piece for rubbish I've ever used. 

For 5000 baht I suspect the best Phone the Op can get his hands on is something second hand.

i.e. an iPhone X or a Samsung S20 etc.. 

Expand  

I will keep that in mind, maybe you mean one around a year old.

I dont think you'll be able to find a 'High end phone' that is a 1 year old within your price range. 

You are either going to be forced to compromise on quality or age. 

The way I look at it...  T3-4 year old top of the range phones were top of the range 3-4 years ago and drawing 25,000 baht price tags... 

They are still 'top of the range' phones... but there are just newer phones that have marginal upgrades in chipset and camera etc.

Has the technology developed that much in the last 3-4 years to make phones of that age obsolete ?

Has the technology of 'second tier phones' sufficiently increased to compete with 'top of the range' phones from 3-4 years ago?

IMO - 'Top of the range' phones from 3-4 years ago are better than new 'mid-range' or 'second tier' phones of today.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I dont think you'll be able to find a 'High end phone' that is a 1 year old within your price range. 

The way I look at it...  T3-4 year old top of the range phones were top of the range 3-4 years ago and drawing 25,000 baht price tags... 

They are still 'top of the range' phones... but there are just newer phones that have marginal upgrades in chipset and camera etc.

Has the technology developed that much in the last 3-4 years to make phones of that age obsolete ?

Has the technology of 'second tier phones' sufficiently increased to compete with 'top of the range' phones from 3-4 years ago?

IMO - 'Top of the range' phones from 3-4 years ago are better than new 'mid-range' or 'second tier' phones of today.

It Depends on what is important for the op, he has already mentioned that he uses Bangkok bank app if he buys a top of the range phone that is 3-4 years old its unlikely to receive and further operating system updates and no new security updates, if he buys a new little known phone today some brands provide no additional support in the form of os updates and security updates, if the op buys current model A14, A24 Samsung have said they will provide 2 operating systems updates and 4 years of security updates from the date that the A14 series was launched which was February/March this year

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

That's a big help, I will look around, but now I'm thinking of a Samsung Galaxy A14. Anything is better than the garbage Xiamoi.

2 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

That's a big help, I will look around, but now I'm thinking of a Samsung Galaxy A14. Anything is better than the garbage Xiamoi.

Apparently , the A14 has a screen refresh rate faster than a base iphone ( watch video in post 2)

Frankly , even a phone with best possible speakers is not going to be as good as a separate speaker set up. I listen to music on big speakers connected to my desktop. You can either get some decent headphones with bluetooth connection or get a speaker with bluetooth to use with your phone. Sound will surely be better than any stand alone smartphone.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

If you do go down the Samsung route be aware for the past 2 years they no longer include chargers with their phones they provide an Usb-c to Usb-c cable but no charger

as the a14 can do fast charging 

these will do the job

https://www.xda-developers.com/best-samsung-galaxy-a14-chargers/

I have used this one on an A33 and it works well

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ugreen-samsung-45w-type-c-pd-charger-for-samsung-s23-s22-power-delivery-fast-charger-free-1m-type-c-cable-45w-pd-super-travel-charger-model-90773-i2774126255-s17589524483.html?

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

If you do go down the Samsung route be aware for the past 2 years they no longer include chargers with their phones they provide an Usb-c to Usb-c cable but no charger

as the a14 can do fast charging 

these will do the job

https://www.xda-developers.com/best-samsung-galaxy-a14-chargers/

I have used this one on an A33 and it works well

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ugreen-samsung-45w-type-c-pd-charger-for-samsung-s23-s22-power-delivery-fast-charger-free-1m-type-c-cable-45w-pd-super-travel-charger-model-90773-i2774126255-s17589524483.html?

Thanks, I will keep note of this. Maybe use the charger from my Xoami, or maybe not.

Suggest the OP look at the OPPO range. I have just updated to an A77 after 7 years faithful service from an OPPO A 37F. It's still working, but can't handle some of the more recent apps.

25 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Thanks, I will keep note of this. Maybe use the charger from my Xoami, or maybe not.

Or think about getting a mains extension with a couple of USB charging ports built in, and look into the magnetic charging cables so you are not plugging in & out of the actual phone, simply touching the cable onto a small dongle in your phone. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

you can use your existing redmi 9 note charger 18w you wouldn't get the full benefit of the a14 25w fast charging

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2023 at 6:07 PM, treetops said:

If it was down to the phone then it would happen to all users.  It doesn't.

Not so. Think about it. Some people are  luckier than others. If everyone who had the problems I've had with the Redmi, they would have been out of business years ago.

• Confused 1

On 6/8/2023 at 12:59 PM, richard_smith237 said:

No, there are 2 main reasons to buy new phones ..........

1. it's the banking apps that make your old phone obsolete (Android version too old).

2. or the battery fails.

If you buy a 3-4 year old phone it will soon become useless.

Plenty of new phones to be had in the 3,000-4,000bht range.

I just purchased a Redmi 12c (4/64) for 3,200bht, works fine so far.

Edited by BritManToo

On 6/8/2023 at 2:14 PM, NoshowJones said:

Samsung are way worse,

my Xaomi POCO M3 always had 'dead boot' problems, but it only cost 2,500bht.

my expensive Samsung Tab 10" and 7" all failed within 3 years.

As did my Samsung fridge, Samsung 55" LCD, Samsung Air-con.

I'll never buy another Samsung product.

51 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Samsung are way worse,

Samsung products definitely getting cheaper products, probably made in a different location now such as China

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Samsung are way worse,

I bought a Samsung microwave years ago and it conked out just a few weeks after the warranty was up, to get it fixed would have cost me more than the price of a new one. Never bought a Samsung product ever again though I have been happy with their phones.

• Like 1