Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

The future of masking -- will it ever end?

1 hour ago, ultramarine said:

It felt like the Thailand I knew and loved had been transformed into another country. 

1 hour ago, ultramarine said:

I know that farangs are wearing them much less frequently and that is supposedly accepted by most people.  And yet it is unfortunate that there is this awkward thing that separates us farang from Thai.

You are having some deep spiritual angst. Lucky you can post about it here, release some of that pressure. Probably the best thing is to just post about how this upsets & angers you, and not travel to Thailand if mask wearing really does bother you as much as you claim. OTOH if this is more for show, trolling, than any real concern, good time to head over as tourist numbers remain low. And It is easier to travel here than some countries in the region. In Indonesia for example, there is less mask wearing than Thailand, but 50 per cent or more. You are required to show a initial series (2) vaccinations followed be a recent booster; shock, gasp, horror! Still it does keep tourists (disease carriers) numbers down.

Hope it all works out for you.   

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

About "dirty looks": I gave up thinking about any looks which I get since I have a pretty girlfriend many years ago. Some people look, some people don't look. Why do they look? Because my belly, my t-shirt, my hair, no mask? I don't know and it doesn't make sense to try to understand why people might look, there are hundreds of possible reasons. Since many months I never had anybody telling me I should wear a mask

I get them due to being very handsome. They are jealous.

• Love It 1

If YOU are sick, you put on the mask to minimize risks of others getting infected with whatever bug you're exhaling. If you are in a place where people could have serious consequences when infected, you wear mask to minimize chances of them getting anything from you, like for example inside hospitals. When air quality outside is horrid like in Canada, you put on a good mask to prevent toxic particles ruining your lungs and giving you lung cancer over time. How hard is that to understand? Especially in country that caused entire northern Americas to choke in smoke for the past month+,

23 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Especially in country that caused entire northern Americas to choke in smoke for the past month+,

you are talking about canada or thailand here ? sorry a little confused. 

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, stoner said:

lately i have started thinking in thai too. hence the direction of my comments. 

My daughter pulled me up on that when she was here the other week, Talking broken English 555 

2 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Nobody cares anymore whether or not you personally wear a mask EXCEPT where clearly mandatory, i.e. government offices like immigration 

Mask wearing is not mandatory by law anywhere in Thailand.  Private companies can  make their own rules about who, wearing or not wearing what, is allowed admittance to their premises.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

. I have worn masks since the 70's whenever I visit a hospital or a doctors office... seems only right since those two places are where sick people go.

Sick people don't only go to hospitals and doctors' surgeries, they go everywhere!

52 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how many girls wear it for cosmetic reasons - to make them look more mysterious or to hide anything in their face which they think is not perfect.

I know a hotel manager who I first met with mask. She looked great. Now no mask anymore. She still looks good, but her real face is not as good as my imagination was. 

Yes, the great unmasking was a great disappointment in so many cases. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stoner said:

you are talking about canada or thailand here ? sorry a little confused. 

OP is from Canada, so equivalent of Thailand's air quality could now be "smelled" at his home turf as well, possibly illustrating the reasoning behind wearing pollution masks.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...in all hospitals I go".

All the hospitals you go to?  Jesus, how many hospitals do you attend, is it a hobby?

Hospitals are like restaurants, each with a different menu.

52 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

OP is from Canada, so equivalent of Thailand's air quality could now be "smelled" at his home turf as well, possibly illustrating the reasoning behind wearing pollution masks.

i was a little confused thanks. ya my sister back home is saying she is having a hard time breathing. she lives in ontario has asthma and says its quite bad there right now from the fires. 

• Like 1