The future of masking -- will it ever end?

On 6/10/2023 at 3:55 PM, chilly07 said:

What is the problem?

Thais have always worn masks in public  areas and long may it stay that way. 

Farangs should follow suit opting for the higher hygiene standard. 

That is why Thailand fared better during the pandemic.

Having reviewed my own experiences here and overseas, New Zealand (one of the best in the world at zero Covid strategy until Omicron blew it all away) their unmasking did not cause a spike at all. 

I got a terrible head cold there, the worst in years, but no Covid, which I got here, I suspect from "dirty dancing" after being alone without cute company over there for a year! My other half permits the odd sideline as she's in her "golden" years, and knows it goes no further.  

I'm Quad vaxxed, every one a different brand!

I've always washed my hands and insist intimate partners do it too, since forever. 

I maintained distance and followed the rules.

I'm convinced masking was the least effective of every other strategy because it is fundamentally flawed.

Why OK to take off a mask in a food court? But not a taxi? 

I always respected my driver's wishes, but it's just flawed Science in a non-clinical setting, and as such, the most pointless of all the precautions we had to take.  

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Wearing a mask in a hospital is a courtesy, as there are sick and weak people there. Why cause them distress?

Wearing one anywhere else is pointless. 

The hospital I attend once a month it is compulsory, not a courtesy.

No mask no entry and yes security on the door enforce the rule.

On 6/8/2023 at 6:09 AM, Swiss1960 said:

Nobody cares anymore whether or not you personally wear a mask EXCEPT where clearly mandatory, i.e. government offices like immigration 

In Bankok however,  the air quality is a more important reason for people wearing masks than Covid.

Right now, me gestimate is 60% Thai and 20% foreigners still wearing masks at all time

Cant understand why anyone wants to ask such a question, some people believed the science about masks being a good defence against covid (which is still around) and wear them, others dont believe the science and dont wear them. Simple 

In my part of SE Isaan, nearly every Thai wears a mask, outdoors, whilst riding a motorbike (with no helmet of course) and in all the department stores and supermarkets. However rarely does one see a farang wearing a mask, and nowhere does it appear to be compulsory

On 6/8/2023 at 6:17 AM, KhunLA said:

As long as some people are suspectable to infections or want to avoid the pollution, then masks will be worn.  

Be nice if they used a proper one and wore it correctly.   Then they wouldn't look so silly.

And I'm sure a clean one would help a lot too,  i see so many people wearing  masks  that must be carrying  more danger than covid ever was

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stoner said:

mask mandates were dropped almost a year ago. 

Some posts do highlight who actually lives here or actually visited TH recently, instead of trying to read like they are regular visitor and actually know things.

Was in BKK yesterday for a doctors appoint, and others at BNH Hospital.  Wore a mask in the hospital as they have a nre warning sign posted by the elevators in the car park advising it.  In the hospital only a few unmasked and they of course were foreigners.

Went to Icon Siam after we finished up at the hospital and again large crowds, wore a mask, and I would estimate about 80 percent were wearing masks.  On the escalator an unmasked foreigner went into a coughing fit and the Thais in front of us and on the opposing side backed up giving him space.  By god people if your sick with no matter what where a mask to keep from spreading your germs all over the place.  He then wiped his mouth and put his hand back down on the rubber rail.....

On 6/8/2023 at 6:17 AM, KhunLA said:

As long as some people are suspectable to infections or want to avoid the pollution, then masks will be worn.  

Be nice if they used a proper one and wore it correctly.   Then they wouldn't look so silly.

Pollution bad 365 days a year in Bangkok.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pink Mist said:

By god people if your sick with no matter what where a mask to keep from spreading your germs all over the place.  He then wiped his mouth and put his hand back down on the rubber rail.....

curious. did you wear a mask in elevators before covid ? 

Personal choice I wear one when out shopping  from my compound here in Central Thailand 

When doing my  walking exercise wise in the Compound don't wear

Going to Bangkok next week hospital visit will wear one there same when going  out from my Condo 

No big deal 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, stoner said:

My niece does, whenever she has a respiratory infection, as do many Thai.

Masking seems  to come and go with contagion levels. Since 1918!

41 minutes ago, stoner said:

Yes, we did in elevators if we were sick.  However, this was on an escalator by the way, and we wore them prior to covid if we were sick and needed to go out. It's called common courtesy.  It was something I did in the US long ago if I was sick when I went to a doctor's office.  However, if I am ill I tend not to go out.

On 6/8/2023 at 5:26 AM, ultramarine said:

Can you see a time when the unmasked will outnumber the masked in public? 

Can you make the air fresh and clean?

If not best you stop making nonsense postings. 

It's annoying to read the too often posts regarding masks. 

You are just antagonizing those of us that wear them and encouraging the weak to follow you and your toxic postings. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 6:33 AM, sirineou said:

Covid is not the only use of masks.

Even now I wear  a mask because my outrageously good looks make people uncomfortable,  with the additional benefits of not being noticed by the paparazzi and not have to smell all of you. Ohh and it protects you from other pathogens such as the flu and of course all the dust. 

Thai's were wearing masks long before covid cold flu air quality.  They will wear them a long time 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bignok said:

Which makes a mask handy

No viral threat or pollution level has yet motivated me to wear a mask.  Think I'd find a better place to live if mask wearing was even close to mandatory.

Mask is simply too uncomfortable to wear, especially if wearing properly for me to ever bother.

Pollution, as bad as it was, wasn't a motivating reason for me to move S of Hua Hin, from Udon Thani.

I've been travelling around Italy for a couple of weeks. Not a mask to be seen - well, maybe one in a thousand or less. Lots of trip in packed public transport. Even better than in Australia, where there's still maybe 1 in 20 on trains. Italians are not letting hysterical fears interfere with their enjoyment of life. Wonderful to take a stroll through the crowds down the 'lungomare' of a coastal town with not a mask in sight.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Lmao it doesn't affect you whatsoever

It would affect my enjoyment of the wonderful atmosphere of la bella Italia, especially the faces of the lovely ladies, much as if someone had scrawled graffiti on one of Italy's beautiful buildings.

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

No viral threat or pollution level has yet motivated me to wear a mask.  Think I'd find a better place to live if mask wearing was even close to mandatory.

Mask is simply too uncomfortable to wear, especially if wearing properly for me to ever bother.

Pollution, as bad as it was, wasn't a motivating reason for me to move S of Hua Hin, from Udon Thani.

Been walking around Bangkok. Road areas stink, canals stink. I hate masks but in Bangkok its handy. Saw kids fishing in polluted canal. 

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Been walking around Bangkok. Road areas stink, canals stink. I hate masks but in Bangkok its handy. Saw kids fishing in polluted canal. 

Mask won't help sewage stench, or keep munch else out, with the type of masks worn and on how worn.  There's a reason millions of people infected.

Some people wear masks to protect themselves, but many and particularly service personnel in shops, food courts, Macro etc. wear them to show respect to others or their customers. Such consideration is unknown in Western countries, so don't blame the Thais for wearing masks, please.

• Like 1