The future of masking -- will it ever end?

When going into public buildings… market .. hospital I wear a mask. During Dr. Visit at hospital today a foreigner came in the small waiting room .. said they had covid and were mask less… irresponsible!

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I started noticing a drop off in mask wearing at the start of this current hot season (thank God). Majority of Thais still wear them but in pretty much everyplace other than hospitals, there are always a few without. That is for where I am which is out in the countryside, Bangkok starting having non-mask wearer a bit sooner. First the foreigners and then, little by little, some Thais.

I complied with masking through this last cool season but when the hot weather set in, as soon as I saw any Thais without, I ditched it and haven't restarted since with exception of visits to hospitals, pharmacies and crowded mass transit.

Good to know.  So it seems that masking as a default will continue for a while yet.  It is what it is, as they say.  

Reassuring to hear that the hot season is persuading more people to give up mask wearing.  It was bad enough wearing it in Oct-Nov, I can't imagine how uncomfortably hot it is now.  I can't breathe when I'm wearing them in the heat. 

I'm not an anti-mask person as I have worn them before when the pollution was bad.  And despite our current wave of forest fires in Canada, I haven't worn a mask yet.  The AQI is now around 150 in the Toronto area where I live which is a bit nasty for sure.  But it doesn't quite rank up there with the multi-dimensional BKK pollution which includes ground level ozone from heavy traffic congestion and who knows what else.  If I was in New York (AQI=400 yesterday), I definitely would have worn a mask.  

Anyway, it seems that I may have to reconcile myself to keeping a mask handy when I return to Thailand.  The pandemic is over, but masking remains a thing.  Chalk it up to another chapter of TiT. 

• Sad 1

If you can't respect some else's choice to wear a mask, you are a very intolerant person.

It doesn't harm anyone and many wear one for their own health choice reasons beyond anything to do with covid. 

Such as PM 2.5 air quality.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, connda said:

The future of masking -- will it ever end?

Probably not.  The WHO and other governmental and non-governmental agency are going to hype Covid until the cows come home.....and the cows ain't coming home in my lifetime.
Fear is a fantastic way to control the plebs.  And it works!

And if not Covid than the next disease.....it is generating too much profit to stop it.

12 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

If you can't respect some else's choice to wear a mask, you are a very intolerant person.

It doesn't harm anyone and many wear one for their own health choice reasons beyond anything to do with covid. 

tolerate it....not respect.
If someone want to wear a clown nose I tolerate it, but I don't have any respect for it....

11 hours ago, farang9392 said:

A cheaper pleasure is buying a covid test in 7/11, of course demasked, they literally start trembling processing your order, well worth the 25baht...  Don't worry, it's not wasted, there's a charity bin nearby and they go in that, high demand amongst the fearing. Doing my bit for charity ????????

:cheesy:

2 hours ago, Andycoops said:

I'm a very empathetic person, which is why it makes me sad to see so many people being forced (yes forced) to wear them in 7/11s etc.   I don't care if someone wants to make themselves anonymous/invisible by wearing them, but a lot of people are still being forced to wear them.   It's dehumanising for these folks to be forced to wear a mask.   

Still, on the bright side it gets us used to not seeing human faces when we go to these places as when they are replaced by automation/robots it will be less noticeable.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, James105 said:

I'm a very empathetic person, which is why it makes me sad to see so many people being forced (yes forced) to wear them in 7/11s etc.   I don't care if someone wants to make themselves anonymous/invisible by wearing them, but a lot of people are still being forced to wear them.   It's dehumanising for these folks to be forced to wear a mask.   

Still, on the bright side it gets us used to not seeing human faces when we go to these places as when they are replaced by automation/robots it will be less noticeable.   

The 7/11's I visit frequently do not force visitors to wear masks, They must have missed that memo from head office.

Out of all the places I visit, it is only the hospital that requires a mask on before entry.

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

The 7/11's I visit frequently do not force visitors to wear masks, They must have missed that memo from head office.

Out of all the places I visit, it is only the hospital that requires a mask on before entry.

I am referring to those that work in 7-11s etc, not the customers of these places.   No-one is required to wear a mask as a customer, and have not been for quite some time.   

1 hour ago, James105 said:

I am referring to those that work in 7-11s etc, not the customers of these places.   No-one is required to wear a mask as a customer, and have not been for quite some time.   

They choose to work there... they are being forced to do nothing.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

Why do Thais and others wear masks ? under a misconception that they are getting protection from air borne pathogens , nonsense , why ? because the vast majority of masks being worn are medical masks with gaps all around the facial area . The masks are often old , grubby and pulled out of a trouser pocket . They are supposed to be changed every day . The starting point for pathogens or smoke is the N95 mask . This mask is not comfortable to wear for lengthy periods because breathing in through a valve requires effort .  Any oil workers in this forum will tell you that for good protection you need a graded cartridge mask that have a short life span and are changed regularly . BTW I have often seen people pulling down their mask to sneeze or cough . Ask yourself this question , did all the people who caught covid wear a mask ? of course they did .

Digressing but the Thai motor cyclists who wear a crash helmet , put on their helmets and rarely fasten the chin strap .  Some wear a mask and no helmet . Amazing Thailand .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kennw said:

Even before Covid Asian people were considerate of others and wore masks if they had a cold or flue. A lesson that many others should take note of, it's called "consideration". And by the way Covid is still around.

If you want to be considerate, don't ask me to do something that makes me 'very' uncomfortable.

If 'you' are high risk/paranoid, then 'you' should take precautions, not me.

Covid still around, and just as dangerous to me as it was day 1.  More things to concern myself about that actually might happen, or have a negative effect on me.  Covid is way down that list....for me IMHO

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

BKK has bad enough pollutions some days that a mask is a good thing to wear.

In parts of Canada and the USA there are forest fires which send lots of smoke and 

small particles all over, another good reason to wear a mask. However like most places in

the world there are people who will not wear a mask, so be it. If you want to enjoy Thailand

with its pollution just do it, your choice.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What is the problem?

Thais have always worn masks in public  areas and long may it stay that way. 

Farangs should follow suit opting for the higher hygiene standard. 

That is why Thailand fared better during the pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/9/2023 at 4:53 AM, ultramarine said:

I may have to reconcile myself to keeping a mask

Jeez!

What a drama queen.

Perhaps get some anti anxiety pills and stay home.  The world is full of things much more serious than a simple decision to wear a mask or not 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been in Thailand for 16 years, when I first came I was surprised to see how many people wore masks, I think the number of people wearing masks now is about the same as 16 years ago, Asian  people like to wear masks, the only people that go on about it is Farangs never Thais, Farangs should suck it up and not get there nickers in  KNOT      

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/10/2023 at 2:39 PM, MrJ2U said:
On 6/8/2023 at 5:41 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

wear a mask when I go to a hospital

That's sound advice.

No, that's respiratory advice.    

But still good advice.

The more people don't mask, the more people won't mask. 

My Thai half and I haven't for most of 2023.

I have worn masks prior to Covid, but since learned it's pointless for self protection, which was the reason, after being stuck on a packed Hong Kong bus with some vile brute hacking down my neck all the way to the border!

It's pretty farcical here now, but, I can still remember how "naked" it felt the day after they were abolished in New Zealand last year.

I think many Asian people are psychologically wed to them now, sort of like a Stockholm Syndrome security blanket. 

But I'm a libertarian at heart, do what I want, but I'm mindful not to impact others, so long as socially adopted ideas like masks remain RATIONAL and I don't whine (too much) about other people's habits, quirks, sexuality or hobbies so long as they don't impact me. 

Seems to work.