Justice Thomas delays disclosures after reports of travel, property sale

onthedarkside

image.png.a426d2cfd1e3c6339aa4771a22bb69b5.png

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas has asked for more time to file annual financial disclosures following criticism that he failed to report luxury travel and real estate deals with a Texas billionaire and Republican donor.

Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. also asked for an extension as he has done in previous years. Both requests were confirmed by the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts on Wednesday, the same day that disclosure reports filed by their court colleagues were posted on the court system’s website.

READ MORE

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/06/07/supreme-court-justice-disclosures-clarence-thomas/

image.png.7f3a81b73179a9294fcf378595beb56a.png

https://archive.ph/uNcQS

15 minutes ago, Tug said:

Well golliee I wonder why………perhaps a trip to the laundry first?

It won't matter.

He could disclose he received a few million from a donor who has regular cases with the SC and still nothing would be done.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

It won't matter.

He could disclose he received a few million from a donor who has regular cases with the SC and still nothing would be done.

Less of the defeatism, he’s playing into Democrat hands.

Justice Roberts is failing too.

The rightwing members of the SCOTUS are together making the arguments that will win public approval for tackling the corruption and political bias that has a grip of the SC.

• Haha 1

It's becoming increasingly apparent that one side of politics is badder than the other and on the wrong side of history.

Busted: Analysis shows billionaire Clarence Thomas sugar daddy gave millions to dark money groups

Harlan Crow, the billionaire GOP megadonor under scrutiny for lavishing U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and his relatives with high-dollar gifts, is also "deeply intertwined with the shadowy world of Republican dark money" and has given millions of dollars to secretive right-wing groups, a leading ethics watchdog reported Thursday.

In a new analysis, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) details how Crow "personally took park in the creation" of the dark money system that flourishes in the wake of the Supreme Court's 2010 Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission (FEC) ruling.

That landmark decision—in which Thomas sided with the 5-4 majority—affirmed that the First Amendment's free speech clause prohibits limits on independent expenditures on political campaigns by corporations, labor unions, nonprofit groups, and others.

https://www.rawstory.com/harlan-crow-dark-money/

• Like 2

GOP is above the law, it gets intercepted before court cases can be established. 

During the 2000 Florida recount days HW Bush was on a TV talk show, and when the interviewer mentioned recusal HW said something like "oh yeah, I have to "recuse" myself" -- emphasis is his, he was obviously scoffing. 

The Dems, on the other hand, are a little too quick to give in when things look inappropriate, look at how quickly Al Franken go tossed out.

That said, I still find it bewildering that Dick Cheney didn't use his clout to protect Liz: maybe he wanted to but she wouldn't let him.

There is nothing that this Crow cannot buy.

Here's the real deep state in action. We won't be seeing too many MAGA cultists defending this.

Justice Samuel Alito took luxury fishing vacation with GOP billionaire who later had cases before the court

“If you were good friends, what were you doing ruling on his case?” said Charles Geyh, an Indiana University law professor and leading expert on recusals. “And if you weren’t good friends, what were you doing accepting this?” referring to the flight on the private jet.

Leonard Leo, the longtime leader of the conservative Federalist Society, attended and helped organize the Alaska fishing vacation.

https://www.rawstory.com/alito-fishing-trip/

• Like 1

Look, republican rightwing nut jobs are just smarter than us left-wingers. They work harder. They have no rules. They take no prisoners. They never, ever stop until they achieve their objective. I must, grudgingly, accept that.

I would have never, ever have advocated for stacking the court, or sucking up to, and compromising, Supreme Court Judges, but I'm not a zealot. And maybe I'm stoopid.

But if you want something you have to be committed, and there are no rules. I can't bring myself to say fight fire with fire, because it is antiethical to me personally. But if others want to go there, go.

• Thumbs Up 1

That preemptive letter from Alito was pretty pathetic.  These are supposed to be the smart guys?

Scalia also visited these "rich guys only" places, it was at one of them where he died with his boots off.

On 6/21/2023 at 3:55 AM, bamnutsak said:

But if you want something you have to be committed, and there are no rules. I can't bring myself to say fight fire with fire, because it is antiethical to me personally. But if others want to go there, go.

But it's not enough to just stand off to the side and say "oooo, they're not supposed to do that!" the way the Dems did during 45's time in the WH, and in the preceding 8 years when the other side was gerrymandering them out of votes.  It usually happens that the GOP are in lock-step, and descent is not tolerated (like L. Cheney and Kinzinger, look at how quickly they were removed), while with the Dems it's like herding cats.  The current GOP speaker does not have the infamous Republican grip on things, maybe this is part of the MAGA era change.

I liked something Ross Perot was saying back in 1992: each side is blaming the other for the mess, but it has to be between them because they were the only ones there.