‘We Need to Start Killing’: Trump’s Far-Right Supporters Are Threatening Civil War

onthedarkside

1 hour ago, rattlesnake said:

But in this case the Presidential Records Act supersedes the Espionage Act, which is much older. It will become immediately apparent that the DoJ and Special Counsel Smith redefined the Mar-a-Lago documents so that the Espionage Act applies to them, in an attempt to turn a non-crime into a crime. That case holds no water.

They are separate charges and don't impact each other. Trump is primarily charged with espionage and obstruction, not PRA violations.

10 minutes ago, heybruce said:

"My point is that Trump was allowed to have these documents under the PRA."

Wrong.  Where do you get this stuff?  The PRA states the opposite:

"Enacted November 4, 1978,[4] the PRA changed the legal ownership of the President's official records from private to public, and established a new statutory structure under which Presidents must manage their records. ...The law superseded the policy in effect during Nixon’s tenure that a president’s records were considered private property, making clear that presidential records are owned by the public. The PRA requires the President to ensure preservation of records documenting the performance of his official duties (44 U.S.C. § 2203(a)), provides for the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) to take custody and control of the records (44 U.S.C. § 2203(g)), and sets forth a schedule of staged public access to such records (44 U.S.C. § 2204)."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Records_Act

More succinctly:

"Specifically, the PRA:

If you were right, Smith would use the PRA to prosecute instead of requalifying the documents to make them fit under the Espionage Act, which wasn't even designed for this type of case.

Now all is left to do is see how the proceedings unfold.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Can you link to where he was allowed by the PRA to have these documents?

The National Archives is pushing back on claims made by former President Donald Trump, his lawyers and his allies over his retention of classified documents, for which he now faces a federal indictment.

On Friday, the Archives took the rare step of releasing a public statement rebuking claims suggesting that Trump was allowed to keep classified materials under the Presidential Records Act.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/09/politics/national-archives-refutes-trump-claim-classified-documents-indictment/index.html

If Smith could prosecute under the PRA, he would.

Let's leave the biased news outlets aside and see what actually happens in Court.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

If you were right, Smith would use the PRA to prosecute instead of requalifying the documents to make them fit under the Espionage Act, which wasn't even designed for this type of case.

Now all is left to do is see how the proceedings unfold.

There are no penalties or enforcement mechanisms for the Presidential Records Act.  Perhaps this will change based on Trump's violation of the act.  However for now there would be no reason to to include them in the charges.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, heybruce said:

There are no penalties or enforcement mechanisms for the Presidential Records Act.  Perhaps this will change based on Trump's violation of the act.  However for now there would be no reason to to include them in the charges.

Violations of the Presidential Records Act are rarely prosecuted indeed. That doesn't mean it can't be done, and Smith certainly would if he thought he had a chance.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/explainer-doj-probes-draw-attention-presidential-records-act/story?id=96417220

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

So you're saying you know more than Jack Smith and the whole of the DOJ?  Without even reading the indictment?  Impressive.  Well there's been subject matter experts who have poured through that indictment and every last one has said that it's a powerful and airtight document.  We're talking experts in all manner of constitutional law, national security, historical/legal precedents, etc.  Heck, Trump's own AG Bill Barr just said that Trump is toast.

You're engaging in what I would call "wishful thinking."  Don't quit your day job.  

Why are you assuming I have not read the indictment?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Which bit of a document marked/stamped "contain classified markings" don't you understand?

It means they contain classified material!

I'll let the former Secretary of Defence chief of staff explain it to you:

"All previously classified documents have classification markings on them, it shows they used to be classified."

https://www.justsecurity.org/82723/trump-associates-stated-plan-to-publicly-release-declassified-documents/

• Like 1

"Your previous claim:

"My point is that Trump was allowed to have these documents under the PRA.

Still waiting for you to back that up?"

I am claiming he was allowed to retain the documents because they are not classified but "contain classified markings" based on what I have read. I also believe the media are portraying things in a way which is purposely unfavourable to Trump.

I am giving my strictly personal opinion, inferences and interpretations based on original documents which I have linked above.

I know you disagree with me, what I am telling you is that time will tell, and if I am wrong, I will say "I was wrong".

He was not allowed to retain any documents without the approval of NARA.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It makes little difference whether Trump declassified documents at heart of federal indictment: legal scholars

FIRST ON FOX: Legal experts tell Fox News Digital it makes little difference whether former President Trump declassified the documents at the heart of his federal indictment.

Under the Espionage Act, the crime would be improper retention or disclosure of sensitive defense information, not classified documents, according to former Assistant U.S. Attorney Andy McCarthy, who told Fox News Digital that he's "argued for a long time that Trump’s declassification claims are a red herring."

"The Espionage Act crime is willful retention of national defense information, not classified information," McCarthy said. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/makes-little-difference-whether-trump-declassified-documents-heart-federal-indictment-legal-scholars

Exactly. Same for the MAL warrant.

However, the level of classification marking for each document is quite relevant  as it designates how sensitive certain information is.

14 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

You are absolutely wrong. Trump was allowed zero of those documents under the PRA, a very simple fact. Upon termination of his period, EVERY single document becomes the possession of the archives, secret, classified or mundane.

Its not hard to understand. You need to be blinkered or of sub par intelligence for that fact not to sink in.

A jury of his peers, made up of Democrats and Republicans listened to the evidence and decided to indict Trump.

Nothing to do with Biden, or the DOJ, just normal folk listening to the truth and making a decision based on that.

Stop listening to right wing spin and start to look for the truth and reality and these facts will become VERY apparent to you, though most Republicans seem to prefer to look for loopholes and "whaboutism" on much debunked and baseless mud slinging garbage to deflect from the truth.

Basic fact reiterated. Trump could not have one single document that belongs to the archives, secret, declassified or not.

You are wrong. Not even close to right. Spouting garbage even.

Let's leave my IQ out of this.

• Haha 2

Let's leave my IQ out of this.

I’m curious all the bloviating and excuses  out the window how do you feel about trump putting americas and our Allie’s national security at risk in such a reckless manner?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tug said:

I’m curious all the bloviating and excuses  out the window how do you feel about trump putting americas and our Allie’s national security at risk in such a reckless manner?

What are you talking about?

• Sad 1