Nicola Sturgeon: Scotland's ex-first minister in custody after being arrested in connection with SNP investigation

onthedarkside

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So let me get this straight from reading the above news reports....

First her husband and the party's former treasurer are arrested by police, and then later released without  any charges being filed.

And now Sturgeon herself is arrested by police, and then again shortly thereafter released without charge.

I'm not familiar with law enforcement in Scotland... But all of the above seems a very odd way for police to be going about their business.

Usually, police only arrest people when they're pretty sure they have a good basis to believe they've committed a crime/crimes, and plan to seek the filing of charges.

In Scotland, those arrested can only be held for up to 12 hours. They must then be released. They can be rearrested for the same matter at anytime.

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Can you point to those investigations? The level of potential fraud is many times more than that alleged to have taken place within the SNP - and it's taxpayers' money we are talking about so I would expect the police response and coverage to be greater too. So where is it?

You tell me where it is. You are the one who suggested people should be banged up.

Please give us a link to the charge sheets.

10 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

In Scotland, those arrested can only be held for up to 12 hours. They must then be released. They can be rearrested for the same matter at anytime.

Seems the investigation of the SNP's finances began in 2021, more than two years ago now, and Murrell and his cohort were arrested by police and released in April, more than two months ago now, and no further action taken against them as yet.

The police seem to be proceeding here at a quite leisurely pace.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Check my previous post.

Sorry. You seem to be getting confused. 

Your previous post, the one to which I referred, suggested 3 people should be banged up. I asked you to elaborate. You have offered dome drivel but no actual facts regarding laws broken which result in a custodial sentence.

I then suggested you should defend those who have not been charged, as you are with Sturgeon. 

You have failed on both counts. That's it. In a nutshell. No need for further discussion.

• Thumbs Up 1

She probably needs a holiday now but someone has nicked the brand new 100k motorhome parked on the mother in-laws drive .. there are far to many coincidences in this story with 600k missing for at least one of them to be taking a trip to the big house in the future ????  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Would it?

We Scots have much more in common with the English, Irish, and Welsh than we do with the French, Dutch, Belgians, Spanish and Germans. 

And on a cultural level, nothing would change. Taking control of our own affairs and electing to be part of a larger, and demonstrably more powerful economic union would not change the relationships I have with my English friends, just as it won't change my relationships with my European friends.

• Thanks 2

On 6/11/2023 at 11:06 PM, blazes said:

I wonder how the inmates of  Scottish women's prisons are reacting to this news....

I think the transexual inmates with wedding tackle intact will be very upset that their best advocate has been treated in this way

• Like 1

Point to note. She resigned as party leader and prime minister before news broke of her and her husband's alleged wrongdoing, possibly in order to protect the nationalist party or more likely not have the humiliation of being expelled and sacked. She knew this was coming. There is no way she could not have known what her husband was doing. Good to see the police acting positively

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RobU said:

Point to note. She resigned as party leader and prime minister before news broke of her and her husband's alleged wrongdoing, possibly in order to protect the nationalist party or more likely not have the humiliation of being expelled and sacked. She knew this was coming. There is no way she could not have known what her husband was doing. Good to see the police acting positively

*First Minister, not Prime Minister

**Socially inclusive party, not nationalist party

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobU said:

Scotland don't have a Prime Minister and never will.

On 6/12/2023 at 1:48 PM, RuamRudy said:

And on a cultural level, nothing would change. Taking control of our own affairs and electing to be part of a larger, and demonstrably more powerful economic union would not change the relationships I have with my English friends, just as it won't change my relationships with my European friends.

I think the last 10+ years have proven that the SNP is incapable of controlling their own affairs.....next.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

I think the last 10+ years have proven that the SNP is incapable of controlling their own affairs.....next.

The SNP is not independence and independence is not the SNP.

But in terms of government effectiveness, I wouldn't say that they were any more feckless than the nasty party. We are hardly in a golden era of government competence.